*very* bad taste joke alert

Carl Brewer

Guest
What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?

"Lucky you're with Amy"

Carl Brewer wrote:

> What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
>
> "Lucky you're with Amy"

:(

I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.

Tam

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Carl Brewer wrote:
> >
> > What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
> >
> > "Lucky you're with Amy"

> :(
>
> I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.
>
> Tam

You ********, not funny at all

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:39:09 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Carl Brewer wrote:
>>
>> What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
>>
>> "Lucky you're with Amy"

:mad:

>I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.

We all cope with this sort of thing in our own way. I use
black humour. You cry. I don't know any of the riders
in question, but I have met Amy's coach (John Beasley)
and was at Beasley's shop yesterday, and they're feeling
what you'd expect them to feel and my sympathy
is extended to them.

Did you laugh at the NASA (need another seven etc ...) jokes?
The 9/11 jokes? It's a method for coping with the fact that
every day,people die. One of my best mates died a couple of
years ago, from a very agressive cancer, and three of
us (his mates) spent days telling jokes about how he never
finished anything (his nickname was three quarters Trevor).
It got us through it ...

Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:39:09 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Carl Brewer wrote:
> >>
> >> What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
> >>
> >> "Lucky you're with Amy"

> :mad:
> >
> >I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.

> We all cope with this sort of thing in our own way. I use
> black humour. You cry. I don't know any of the riders
> in question, but I have met Amy's coach (John Beasley)
> and was at Beasley's shop yesterday, and they're feeling
> what you'd expect them to feel and my sympathy
> is extended to them.
>
> Did you laugh at the NASA (need another seven etc ...) jokes?
> The 9/11 jokes? It's a method for coping with the fact that
> every day,people die. One of my best mates died a couple of
> years ago, from a very agressive cancer, and three of
> us (his mates) spent days telling jokes about how he never
> finished anything (his nickname was three quarters Trevor).
> It got us through it ...

I usually find it really hard to cry. I don't know why this hit me so
bad. Black humour is normally my thing (hence no criticism on my part).

Tam

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:54:14 +1000, "Tony" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Carl Brewer wrote:
>> >
>> > What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
>> >
>> > "Lucky you're with Amy"

>> :(
>>
>> I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.
>>
>> Tam

>You ********, not funny at all

You were warned in the subject.

"Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We all cope with this sort of thing in our own way. I use
> black humour. You cry. I don't know any of the riders
> in question, but I have met Amy's coach (John Beasley)
> and was at Beasley's shop yesterday, and they're feeling
> what you'd expect them to feel and my sympathy
> is extended to them.
>
> Did you laugh at the NASA (need another seven etc ...) jokes?
> The 9/11 jokes? It's a method for coping with the fact that
> every day,people die. One of my best mates died a couple of
> years ago, from a very agressive cancer, and three of
> us (his mates) spent days telling jokes about how he never
> finished anything (his nickname was three quarters Trevor).
> It got us through it ...

Carl,

The difference is that this is an Australian cycling newsgroup, and you
should know you've got a pretty bloody good chance of offending people who
did know Amy, or some of the other girls who were involved in the crash.
Although I did not know Amy well at all I'd raced against her enough to know
she was a lovely person (and a fierce competitor, I think she lapped me
twice in the Glenelg boxing day crit one year!). Alex Rhodes is still
fighting for her life in a German hospital and is very well known in SA, as
she (and her little brother and sister) support many local events and would
encourage others to enjoy the sport. I don't think many of the families and
friends involved would find your joke funny.....

Gemma

Carl Brewer said:
What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?

"Lucky you're with Amy"

isnt there some kind of set-period-amnesty on such things?

i keep seein that bianchi mangled frame...

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:51:34 +0930, "Gemma_k"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl,
>
>The difference is that this is an Australian cycling newsgroup, and you
>should know you've got a pretty bloody good chance of offending people who
>did know Amy, or some of the other girls who were involved in the crash.
>Although I did not know Amy well at all I'd raced against her enough to know
>she was a lovely person (and a fierce competitor, I think she lapped me
>twice in the Glenelg boxing day crit one year!). Alex Rhodes is still
>fighting for her life in a German hospital and is very well known in SA, as
>she (and her little brother and sister) support many local events and would
>encourage others to enjoy the sport. I don't think many of the families and
>friends involved would find your joke funny.....

That's why I set the subject the way I did.

"Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:51:34 +0930, "Gemma_k"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Carl,
> >
> >The difference is that this is an Australian cycling newsgroup, and you
> >should know you've got a pretty bloody good chance of offending people

who
> >did know Amy, or some of the other girls who were involved in the crash.
> >Although I did not know Amy well at all I'd raced against her enough to

know
> >she was a lovely person (and a fierce competitor, I think she lapped me
> >twice in the Glenelg boxing day crit one year!). Alex Rhodes is still
> >fighting for her life in a German hospital and is very well known in SA,

as
> >she (and her little brother and sister) support many local events and

would
> >encourage others to enjoy the sport. I don't think many of the families

and
> >friends involved would find your joke funny.....

> That's why I set the subject the way I did.

Saying that in the subject matter is no excuse, the cycling community is so
small in this country, of course your going to upset people, you owe the
readers of this group a big apology.

Tony wrote:

> "Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:51:34 +0930, "Gemma_k"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > >Carl,
> > >
> > >The difference is that this is an Australian cycling newsgroup, and you
> > >should know you've got a pretty bloody good chance of offending people

> who
> > >did know Amy, or some of the other girls who were involved in the crash.
> > >Although I did not know Amy well at all I'd raced against her enough to

> know
> > >she was a lovely person (and a fierce competitor, I think she lapped me
> > >twice in the Glenelg boxing day crit one year!). Alex Rhodes is still
> > >fighting for her life in a German hospital and is very well known in SA,

> as
> > >she (and her little brother and sister) support many local events and

> would
> > >encourage others to enjoy the sport. I don't think many of the families

> and
> > >friends involved would find your joke funny.....

> > That's why I set the subject the way I did.
> >

> Saying that in the subject matter is no excuse, the cycling community is so
> small in this country, of course your going to upset people, you owe the
> readers of this group a big apology.

Carl's just trying to do LotteBum's mtbdirt effort.

Tam

flyingdutch said:
isnt there some kind of set-period-amnesty on such things?

i keep seein that bianchi mangled frame...
That is the one I keep seeing as well, although im not sure if it is because it sticks out or it is because it has been plastered around the media sooo much

there are sometimes I really do despise the media and all they stand for, ratings, ratings, ratings.

"dead people, read all about it, see all about it"

I would have thought a bit more time would have been appropriate, but it is an open forum, and there was a warning.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:57:53 +1000, "Tony" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Saying that in the subject matter is no excuse, the cycling community is so
>small in this country, of course your going to upset people, you owe the
>readers of this group a big apology.

Tony,

I don't know who you are, and if I've offended you then
I appologise, but why did you read the post and who
are you attempting to speak for?

I believe that the subject was and is
sufficient warning that a joke in bad taste is inside the
post. It's not an excuse, it's a notice of content. The only
thing that I'd suggest that I should also have done was
rot-13'd it, which in hindsight I probably should have, but
you'd probably have read it anyway and complained,
it's a one-click option with most newsreaders to rot-13 something
just as it is to read a post with a subject that suggests you
not read it.

Vg'f nf rnfl gb qb nf guvf.

Respectfully, if you disagree with me on that, then we disagree.

If you don't like what I posted and you don't agree with my
explanation, I don't change my email addresses
etc (I also post as "Bleve" from google groups) and you can killfile
me.

On 21/07/05 at 10:35:33 Carl Brewer somehow managed to type:

<snip>

Here's a rule of thumb that you've probably not heard about. If you
feel the need to alert people to the probably offensive contents of a
post then it's a BAD idea to post it.

<plonk>

--
Humbug
aka [email protected]

Ok.

So a lot of people (like me) seem to think it was inappropriate.
But I also take Carl's point - the warning was there in the header.

So, given that Carl is hardly some trolling @ss out for a stir - we all
holster our weapons, acknowledge the differences here, and move right
along.

It would be a shame for things to go pear-shaped over this...

Abby (who only got really upset when he saw the pictures of the bike
bits on the side of the road...)

On 2005-07-21, Absent Husband (aka Bruce)
> Abby (who only got really upset when he saw the pictures of the bike
> bits on the side of the road...)

So it's a good thing I haven't seen the pictures yet? I did see
someone reading it in yesterday's the age, but didn't go out to read
it myself...

I was basically crying at the end of the several page article in the
Weekend (or something similar) a couple of weeks ago.

--
TimC
``Here, sanity ... niiiiiice sanity, come to daddy ... okay, that's a

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>>What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
>>
>>"Lucky you're with Amy"

> :(
>
> I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.
>
> Tam

Not the sort of thing I am happy admitting too but yeah.. Poor *******

:(

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:39:09 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Carl Brewer wrote:
>>
>>>What did Lorian say to Katie while rolling down a hill?
>>>
>>>"Lucky you're with Amy"

>:mad:
>>
>>I saw Simon Gillett on the news last night and it made me cry.

> We all cope with this sort of thing in our own way. I use
> black humour. You cry. I don't know any of the riders
> in question, but I have met Amy's coach (John Beasley)
> and was at Beasley's shop yesterday, and they're feeling
> what you'd expect them to feel and my sympathy
> is extended to them.
>
> Did you laugh at the NASA (need another seven etc ...) jokes?
> The 9/11 jokes? It's a method for coping with the fact that
> every day,people die. One of my best mates died a couple of
> years ago, from a very agressive cancer, and three of
> us (his mates) spent days telling jokes about how he never
> finished anything (his nickname was three quarters Trevor).
> It got us through it ...

MY dad was making cancer jokes the day he died. If its good enough for
him its good enough for me. Believe me joking about something like this
doesnt mean you dont care.

I am sure you have laughed at some black humour in the past. Just
because it now applies to a section of the community you belong to,
don't start becoming all concerned and judgemental.

That what really sucks about people getting offended. They only get
offended and speak up when it relates to them or someone they
know/associate with.

If you have never laughed or even been slightly amused by a NASA joke
or starving Ethiopian joke then you can say what you said, otherwise
shut up and take note of the subject.

flyingdutch> i keep seein that bianchi mangled frame...

What did it for me was the HRM still ticking away with no heart to
record. That hit me hard.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@