very bizarre

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    having got up way too early this am, I surfed over to "cycling forums.com" just to see what's there
    - I"m always looking for decent women's discussion.

    Anyway, They do have a direct gateway to AMB for their members, and everything posted to amb shows
    up is a BBS format. Here's the kicker tho: the board "looks like" it lists 3 moderators for AMB via
    the site. So if you come over from there you'd think it was moderated. Very bizarre, every single
    post shows up there too and we are all listed as "guests". Not sure if I like that.

    penny s

    dont' forget to "fall back" if you are in the States.

    Tags:

  2. Penny says:

    > Not sure if I like that.

    Not sure if I like it either, but I suppose we did post to a public forum, so it's not like it's
    copyright or anything. It just feels wierd that this whole mess we have going here is interesting
    enough for someone to bother copying it elsewhere. ;-)

    Steve (that's "Guest Steve" to you cycling forum folks...)

  3. ireman_1

    ireman_1 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2003

  4. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    > Penny says:
    >
    >> Not sure if I like that.
    >
    > Not sure if I like it either, but I suppose we did post to a public forum, so it's not like it's
    > copyright or anything. It just feels wierd that this whole mess we have going here is interesting
    > enough for someone to bother copying it elsewhere. ;-)
    >
    > Steve (that's "Guest Steve" to you cycling forum folks...)

    Doesn't seem to be too many post from within the cycling forum though. That's weird. I mean
    why bother?

    Plus the whole moderation thing....do they actually think...oh nevermind. Still not a good idea. I
    mean where would we antagonists post??

  5. Mpd Blue

    Mpd Blue Guest

  6. On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 at 15:21 GMT, Stephen Baker penned:
    > Penny says:
    >
    >> Not sure if I like that.
    >
    > Not sure if I like it either, but I suppose we did post to a public forum, so it's not like it's
    > copyright or anything. It just feels wierd that this whole mess we have going here is interesting
    > enough for someone to bother copying it elsewhere. ;-)
    >
    > Steve (that's "Guest Steve" to you cycling forum folks...)

    I'm pretty sure that *any* text is implicitly copyrighted, at least in the US. If you wanted to give
    up your rights, you would have to explicitly place something in the public domain.

    I hope they're not presenting it as though it's theirs, which would be pretty rude. (I'm big on
    attribution.)

    In any case, it seems like a waste of effort, since google groups will let you search and post to
    any newsgroup:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.mountain-bike

    --
    monique Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please don't email me
    directly. I will most likely see your post before I read your mail, anyway.

  7. "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I hope they're not presenting it as though it's theirs, which would be pretty rude. (I'm big on
    > attribution.)

    Well, except that by posting to Usenet, you are implicitly giving permission for what you write to
    be reproduced on millions of newsfeeds. There are not copyright issues with respect to providing an
    alternative feed, even a cens^H^H^H^Hmoderated one.

    easily amused.

    CC

  8. On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 at 21:26 GMT, Corvus Corvax penned:
    > "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> I hope they're not presenting it as though it's theirs, which would be pretty rude. (I'm big on
    >> attribution.)
    >
    > Well, except that by posting to Usenet, you are implicitly giving permission for what you write to
    > be reproduced on millions of newsfeeds. There are not copyright issues with respect to providing
    > an alternative feed, even a cens^H^H^H^Hmoderated one.
    >

    > easily amused.
    >
    > CC

    I think there's a line there somewhere. If for some reason, someone took one of my usenet postings
    and published it in a book without getting my permission first ... I'm pretty sure I could sue them.
    I'm 100% sure I'd be very unhappy that they did so.

    I guess, to me, there's a difference between saying, "we're providing a mirror to this usenet group
    for your convenience," and, "we're providing this discussion group." I'm big on giving credit where
    credit is due, and particularly on not taking credit where it's not due.

    --
    monique Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please don't email me
    directly. I will most likely see your post before I read your mail, anyway.

  9. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > I hope they're not presenting it as though it's theirs, which would be pretty rude. (I'm big on
    > > attribution.)
    >
    > Well, except that by posting to Usenet, you are implicitly giving permission for what you write to
    > be reproduced on millions of newsfeeds. There are not copyright issues with respect to providing
    > an alternative feed, even a cens^H^H^H^Hmoderated one.
    >

    > easily amused.
    >
    > CC

    Jon "I wonder what they'd do to Pulp Fiction?" Bond - oh, I almost forgot,

  10. On 27 Oct 2003 13:26:43 -0800, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

    >"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> I hope they're not presenting it as though it's theirs, which would
    be
    >> pretty rude. (I'm big on attribution.)
    >
    >Well, except that by posting to Usenet, you are implicitly giving permission for what you write to
    >be reproduced on millions of newsfeeds. There are not copyright issues with respect to providing
    an
    >alternative feed, even a cens^H^H^H^Hmoderated one.
    >

    >easily amused.

    This is a special link because it contains a picture of one of the cyclingforums moderators (who
    claim to be AMB moderators).

    http://www.goatse.cx