Very cheap beginner bike.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mrchainsaw, Aug 7, 2005.

1. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

I'm new so please forgive me for anything stupid or ignorant I say. I've become interested in cycling and I've begun looking for a beginner bike, but all the bikes I find seem really expensive. Is cycling an expensive sport? This may sound ridiculous, but I'm looking to spend around $100. I don't know if it's possible to spend this little or not, but I don't want to spend $600+ and then find out cycling isn't for me. Can anyone help me out here? How much do I need to spend to get a reasonable beginner bike?

Tags:

2. astroluc

astroluc New Member

yes cycling is expensive, but that doesn't mean it's undoable!
    some things to consider:

-$600 is cheap to get into cycling if you buy new
    -Raise the budget just a little over your $100 limit. You can get a decent used beginner bike for around $2-300 depending on what you want
    -2 words... BUY USED... if you don't know if it is for you and only want to try it out.
    -Research... research... research...
    -if you spend a lot of money and don't get into cycling, but have at least purchased decent equipment; you can always SELL the stuff!! Good equipment in unused condition will always get a fair price.

3. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

Alright $200 isn't that bad, especially when I'm going to be using this as my car and my exercise. It's just I have no job, so I think I'm going to have to buy used and probably old also. Thanks a lot.

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

$200 will buy you a cheap new mtn bike at Dept stores like Walmart or Target. Otherwise, do buy used on ebay. Thrift shops may have bikes for cheap, but they're near junk.

5. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

Where do you all get the money? $600 doesn't just appear for me. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to give up on this sport before I even try it.

6. astroluc

astroluc New Member

nor does it appear for me... I went years not cycling (due to a combination of a bad crash, injury, and lack of money)... but I began planning last year for my <drumroll> return to the pavement </drumroll>. I had to save up for a few months after I decided what I wanted. I wound up spending $1000s... though due to my having been into this sport previously, it was not a large risk. It would most certainly be better if I were independantly wealthy, for I would rather ride than work; but work pays the bills, and I actually like cycling... so I consider it a hobby, and hobbies are expensive, it seems. :(

7. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

Not only would it be a large risk if I would enjoy cycling or not, it would take me well over a year to save enough money.

8. astroluc

astroluc New Member

buy (decent) used... and research; it's the best advice I can give

9. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Do running, jogging, or walking then. Maybe you can try public aid or welfare for awhile? Otherwise, borrow a bike?

10. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

I'm not blaming you and I appreciate all your advice.

11. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

Hahaha, I don't think I qualify for welfare at 15. And I already run, I want to try cycling because it's kind of the same, but it seems a lot less boring.

12. cmoore992002

cmoore992002 New Member

Head down to your LBS and check out their used bike selection. Hit the garage sales. Check the newspaper. There are many online local web sites that offer items for sale. There is a bike out there for you but you are going to have to hunt for it. Good luck.

13. crb189

crb189 New Member

Do you want a true road bike? If so, they tend to run 600+ for a new one, so just keep checking ebay for one that's a few years older. If you want a bike strictly for some exercise and commuting, perhaps try a hybrid as inexpensive hybrids start around $300 so you could get one a year or two old for less than that.

Hybrids certainly won't deliver the performance of a road bike (the frame geometry is usually suited for a more relaxed position), but if you want something for commuting and light riding, they're certainly worth looking into.

Best of luck.

14. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

This is the type of bike I want, but obviously not as nice or new. This is a road bike, correct?

I don't want a bike like this, hybrid right?

Edit: Would a bike like this be too old, even if it works fine?

Also, what is LBS?

15. crb189

crb189 New Member

Yes, you're correct on your classifications of road bike vs. hybrid. The ebay listing will be fine if you're just looking for a bike to commute and ride around town. If you want do to longer rides, then I'm not sure the ebay listing will suit you best.
    It really comes down to how you plan to use your bike.

16. SuperBob

SuperBob New Member

LBS is short for local bike store. They are really good for the the great cycling knowledge that they provide. This is in contrast to the big box stores (Walmart, for example) that sell cheap bikes but couldn't assist you in your cycling needs.

17. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

If a bike works fine, then it is never too old. :)

I personally would have no problem with a bike that old.

You won't have some of the niceties of new bikes like indexed shifting, but it looks like it would ride just fine.

However...

Do you have any idea of what size you need? How tall are you? What is your inseam?

You should get a bike with a stand over height just a little shorter than one that would collide with anything delicate if you had to quickly stand with one leg on each side of the top bar.

I am 6' and for me, a bike of 58 cm or 23 inches is about right. The size is approximately the length of the seat tube. The measurement is less on a compact frame, but in your price range you won't find that in a street bike.

I would suggest hooking up with a local cycling club if you can. They might be able to help you find a bike, but even if not, they can guide you through the early phases of your cycling life.

18. mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw New Member

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm going to call some shops and see if they'll let me try some bikes out, maybe even rent one for a day or two to see if I enjoy cycling.

19. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

Find out what size frame you need, and then start hitting yard sales, bicycle swap meets, and thrift stores. Learn what components are quality on older bikes. Keep an eye out at the end of the school year at the local university, when "daddy's little rich boy" junks or sells for almost nothing the bike he payed $4-$500 for at the beginning of the school year. Most of the time with a little grease, adjustment, and some tires you'll have a good transpo bike and will certainly be in a position to know if you want to pursue cycling. Above all seek advice from other local riders, they'll point you in the right direction.

A friend just picked up a nice Nishiki road bike at a yard sale for $5.00. I got an Italian made Bianchi with Italian hardware off Ebay for $150. It doesn't start really getting expensive until you get "serious".

20. Sublime99

Sublime99 New Member

I ride one of these since i am pretty new to the sport i have 750 miles on it so far. I have only had it for about 7 months but i love it. I upgraded pedals, added a computer and stelvio tires. I love every minute of riding it so far and i have an occasional slip in gears but you can have that adjusted/ tuned up after 300-500 miles on it.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/01/67/51/52/0001675152706_215X215.jpg I bought it at walmart for 150.00 shipped to my door.

Oh and i went to lbs to be fitted for the frame this frame measures 57, it worked perfect for me.