Very Cheap Road Bike or Single-speed Road Bike????

cyclist95

Jul 21, 2009
Hey guys,

Im new to this forum and also new to road biking. I have a Schwinn Super Sport, but I am just not sure it will hold up too much longer and was thinking about getting a road bike.

My budget is only $500 (yes I know, that wont get me a very decent road bike) because I am a student with no job. I was searching the internet when I stumbled upon two very very very cheap bikes on Amazon.com. The one, a GMC Denali, the other a Schwinn Prelude. Links Below

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FDDWB6/ref=s9_simz_gw_s1_p200_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0REWXG06VCGGAWPEFF02&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: GMC Denali Road Bike: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Prelude-Mens-Road-Wheels/dp/B000KZ1GHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1248207909&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Schwinn Prelude Men's Road Bike (700c Wheels): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Now, the only alternative I was thinking of was getting a Single-Speed Road Bike, but am not sure if they are good for maintaining a high speed.

So guys I need your help, GMC Denali, or Schwinn Prelude. Or screw those, a single-speed road bike. :confused:

Thanks guys,
Matt

cyclist95 said:
I have a Schwinn Super Sport, but I am just not sure it will hold up too much longer and was thinking about getting a road bike.

My budget is only $500 (yes I know, that wont get me a very decent road bike) because I am a student with no job. I was searching the internet when I stumbled upon two very very very cheap bikes on Amazon.com. The one, a GMC Denali, the other a Schwinn Prelude.

Now, the only alternative I was thinking of was getting a Single-Speed Road Bike, but am not sure if they are good for maintaining a high speed.

So guys I need your help, GMC Denali, or Schwinn Prelude. Or screw those, a single-speed road bike.
Approximately, how old is your Schwinn? What exactly do you think is failing on your current bike? Does the frame fit you OR is it too large or too small?

For less than $50 + some of your own sweat equity, you can convert your bike to a Single Speed. You could spend much more, of course!

For $500, you could re-outfit your bike with new components ... NICE components. Again, you could spend more, but why bother?

To see if a Single Speed will work for you, leave your bike in ONE gear ... with the chain on the larger chainring (presuming that your bike has two), shift the chain onto the 18t cog (or, whatever size you want to start with) -- ONLY pedal with that gearing for a few days/minutes unless you immediately deterimine that the pedaling is always too easy or too hard.

Repeat with other combinations.

After a few days/minutes, you should hopefully have an idea which combination seems to work the best, then leave that combination in place for at least several real days of riding. If it still feels right after a few days, then you can buy a BMX Freewheel with the corresponding number of teeth if your bike's rear wheel currently uses a Freewheel.

If your bike's rear wheel has a cassette, then you can buy EITHER buy a DIY conversion kit from a place like PERFORMANCE Bicycle + about every other mail order place OR simply buy some additional cassette spacers (or, make some from some PVC tubing which has the appropriate inner diameter to sleeve over the freehub body).

Presuming that your bike's frame has horizontal dropouts, you won't need a "tensioner" ... you will need a CHAIN TOOL because you'll want to shorten the chain after you remove the derailleurs & shifters (put them in a box for use/sale in the future).

Voila, you have a Single Speed.

Okay, there are some other things that should be done -- if you're using a BMX Freewheel, it would be preferable if you had the spacers re-oriented so that the Freewheel's cog is (almost) in line with the front chainring (you'll probably have to remount the chainring on the inner shoulder of the crankset) ... that usually means that your rear wheel will need to be re-dished so that it is centered in the frame.

If the wheels do not turn smoothly, then some maintenance is in order ... the bearings probably need to be repacked with fresh grease (white lithium which you can get from an automotive store OR a store which has an automotive section -- e.g., WalMart) ... the bearings may-or-may-not need to be replaced ...

You'll need a pair of CONE WRENCHES (usually 14mm & 15mm, but there isn't any uniformity as to the sizes needed) which you can buy at a bike shop or REI COOP.

Unless the frame is rusted-out or has been run over by a car, it can probably last forever! So, in the future, you can update the bike with a new, geared drivetrain with much better components for about $400-to-$500 if you want.

That's a long way of saying that because you have a reasonably good bike (at least, it was when it was new ... and, it was better than either of the two you are considering) I wouldn't buy one of those two bikes because they will probably demand as much attention, initially, as you would need to devote to refurbishing your Schwinn Super Sport.

Ok, but im not that good with bike terms, so what does 18t mean?

My Super Sport is about 3 years old. But I ride it A LOT! And yes, it is getting too small.. when I got the bike I was probably about 5 foot 4 inches, now im 5 foot 8 inces. And theres about a 3 inch gap between the frame and my crotch. Sure its nice, but im just getting too big for it I suppose.

I am also new to the forum and biking but just purchased a bike and am very pleased with it so far. It is the Trek 7.3 fx. It is actually considered a hybrid but trek lists it under their fitness road bikes. It is more of a road bike than a cross except for the upright handle bars that it comes with. Trex is currently having a big sale and this bike is on sale for $500. I actually got mine from a local bike shop for $450 since I bought 2 (1 for my girlfriend). So far I have been very pleased. Like I said I am new to this but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Good luck

cyclist95 said:
Ok, but im not that good with bike terms, so what does 18t mean?

My Super Sport is about 3 years old. But I ride it A LOT! And yes, it is getting too small.. when I got the bike I was probably about 5 foot 4 inches, now im 5 foot 8 inces. And theres about a 3 inch gap between the frame and my crotch. Sure its nice, but im just getting too big for it I suppose.
18T = the cog with 18 teeth around.

cyclist95 said:
My earlier reply presumed that your Schwinn was one of the older, steel bikes ...

I presume your bike's size is "Small" ...

The three inch gap that you observe is not atypical on a frame with a sloping top tube; and, the difference in dimension between the "Small" & "Medium" frames isn't that great ... the most significant difference may be the seat tube angle.

Presuming your bike's frame geometry is the same as the one for the 2009 model, you can just make a few small changes so the bike's fit accommodates your current height ...

If you haven't done so already, move the saddle as far back as possible in the seatpost.

You can change the stem length from 90mm to 120mm, or something in between.

Now, if you want DROP handlebars like the ones on the GMC Denali & Schwinn Prelude, the "Small" frame may be the perfect size (until you grow another 2+ inches) & you just have to pony up about $150 +/- ...

A pair of handlebars will cost between $20-to-$200+ ...

Your choice of shifters includes new-or-used Shimano 8-speed shifters OR a set of new-or-used 10-speed Campagnolo ERGO shifters (pre-2007) ... the cost will be between $90-to-$200 on eBay ...

I recommend you opt for the 10-speed Campagnolo shifters.

The 10-speed Campagnolo ERGO shifters will work 'perfectly' with your 8-speed Shimano drivetrain ... because your bike has a triple crankset, you do NOT want the shifters which have a 'QS' on the left shifter unless you also plan to buy a "matching" Campagnolo front derailleur.

Shimano 8-speed BAR END shifters are another option & may currently be the least expensive due to the current premium on 'used' Campagnolo 10-speed ERGO shifters.

Handlebar tape is generally less than $10 at your LBS.