VERY CHEAP video camera.

IBOPM

Jul 7, 2005
Hi, I'm looking to find a way to either mount my exisiting (crappy) digital camera. To my bike, OR getting something new. However, I only have 100 dollars to spend. Whats the best way of doing this? my current camera is a pretty cheap camera that only has 15 min. of video recording capability. Any ideas? I can do simple DIY, but it really has to be simple.

$100? I don't know of any solutions for you within that price range that wouldbe practical. Really the only quality video cameras I know of below 100 are computer cameras, which you must have connected to a computer (do you have a laptop that you could carry in a backpack?). Other that this, I'm not sure, I mostly use higher-end cameras myself, and have never tried anything on a bike. If anyone has any better ideas, feel free to completely scrap anything an deverything I just said.

capwater said:
If you want video you should go with a true video camera. While more than $100, they are pretty cheap these days. The EasyShare for stills rocks for the price, the only beef is shutter speed for followup shots. Check out a mount I made for this video camera to get footage for a pro race I worked last year:

http://www.worldbike.com/ofotoprobike/picviewer.asp?filename=Images/Richmond/06fs.jpg

That's awesome. How did you mount it like that? And what ideas do you have for mounting it on the front?

IBOPM said:
That's awesome. How did you mount it like that? And what ideas do you have for mounting it on the front?

The rear mount is nothing more than a couple of zip ties connected to the saddle rails and the blue piece is actually the corner of a 29 cent electrical outlet box. I whipped that together in about 30 minutes right before the race with no prior experience mounting a "buttcam". What we did for the front mount was to make a custom carbon fiber housing for the video camera. Wrapped it in plastic and then molded sheets around it and did some dremel work. Then hose clamp the entire thing to the handlebars/stem. Worked out real well and we got some awesome rider level footage from a 45 mile pro crit. We ended up producing a one hour show that aired on FoxSports. Everytime the two riders came by I prayed that the cameras would still be attached especially after the cobblestone sections!

The whole event in pics: http://www.worldbike.com/ofotoprobike/photosrichmond.html