Very Fast Sawmill Gravy Query

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tess, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Tess

    Tess Guest

    Hiya, Foodie Folks : )

    In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
    supper ': þ~

    I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
    milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?

    Cheers, ya'll!

    ~ Tess
     
    Tags:


  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Tess wrote:
    > Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
    >
    > In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
    > supper ': þ~
    >
    > I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
    > milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
    >
    > Cheers, ya'll!
    >
    > ~ Tess

    Cream yes, buttermilk, I'd think not.

    Jill
     
  3. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:34:28 GMT, "Tess" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
    >supper ': þ~
    >
    >I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
    >milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?

    (Too late to be of help but...) IMHO, cream would be overkill. The meal is already heavy in fat, and
    cream gravy *may* make it unbearably greasy. Buttermilk gravy *is* possible, 'though it won't taste
    the same. No cans of evaporated milk or packets of dried on hand for emergencies? If I had cream
    instead of milk, I'd dilute it a bit with water. Most substitutions go the other way -- for cream,
    use milk + butter or oil.
     
  4. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    Tess wrote:

    > Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
    >
    > In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
    > supper ': þ~
    >
    > I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
    > milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
    >

    Probably too late but, yes, cream works, but you want to use it in equal parts with water
    otherwise it's just too thick. Heck, even just water will work if you haven't got milk, but then
    you're looking at more of a brown gravy. I've used all combinations of milk, cream, and water at
    some point, depending on how much of each I have left in the fridge before I go shopping on
    Saturday morning.

    Dawn
     
  5. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Dawn wrote:
    > Tess wrote:
    >
    >> Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
    >>
    >> I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2
    >> cups milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
    >>
    >
    > Probably too late but, yes, cream works, but you want to use it in equal parts with water
    > otherwise it's just too thick.

    Agreed, I just didn't think about thinning the cream when I replied that cream would work. Some
    things you do by rote and expect others will know :)

    Heck, even just
    > water will work if you haven't got milk, but then you're looking at more of a brown gravy. I've
    > used all combinations of milk, cream, and water at some point, depending on how much of each I
    > have left in the fridge before I go shopping on Saturday morning.
    >
    >
    > Dawn

    I was out this morning getting my hair cut and stopped at the store down the street where they serve
    up a 'country breakfast'; they were getting ready to put out lunch. So I bought up all the cream
    (sausage, not sawmill) gravy they had and am setting it aside for when I make biscuits tomorrow.

    Jill
     
  6. Tess

    Tess Guest

    Thanks, ya'll : )

    I went ahead and made it with mixed-up powdered milk, and it was pretty darned good, if I do say so.

    The official word from the aforementioned Mum was that

    a. No, you couldn't use buttermilk. I don't know why, sounds like it might work, but she said
    not to do it.

    b. Yes, cream would have worked, but she said it would actually be better if I'd diluted the cream
    by about half. ( It was heavy whipping cream, too ).

    c. I could have just used water. That doesn't sound very good, but her gravy was always great : )

    Did you know ... ( it's a little - known fact ), that if you're out of sour cream for your baked
    potato, you can pour a little buttermilk on it instead? It's really quite good : )

    Happy eating ~

    ~ Tess

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dawn wrote:
    > > Tess wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
    > >>
    > >> I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2
    > >> cups milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
    > >>
    > >
    > > Probably too late but, yes, cream works, but you want to use it in equal parts with water
    > > otherwise it's just too thick.
    >
    > Agreed, I just didn't think about thinning the cream when I replied that cream would work. Some
    > things you do by rote and expect others will know
    :)
    >
    > Heck, even just
    > > water will work if you haven't got milk, but then you're looking at more of a brown gravy. I've
    > > used all combinations of milk, cream, and water at some point, depending on how much of each I
    > > have left in the fridge before I go shopping on Saturday morning.
    > >
    > >
    > > Dawn
    >
    > I was out this morning getting my hair cut and stopped at the store down
    the
    > street where they serve up a 'country breakfast'; they were getting ready
    to
    > put out lunch. So I bought up all the cream (sausage, not sawmill) gravy they had and am setting
    > it aside for when I make biscuits tomorrow.
    >
    > Jill
     
  7. Dawn

    Dawn Guest

    Tess wrote:

    >
    > The official word from the aforementioned Mum was that
    >
    > a. No, you couldn't use buttermilk. I don't know why, sounds like it might work, but she said not
    > to do it.

    Probably has something to do with the acidity of the buttermilk. If I had it on hand I would have
    used it in the biscuits, though. It works fine for mixing those up.

    Dawn
     
  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Dawn wrote:
    > Tess wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> The official word from the aforementioned Mum was that
    >>
    >> a. No, you couldn't use buttermilk. I don't know why, sounds like it might work, but she said not
    >> to do it.
    >
    > Probably has something to do with the acidity of the buttermilk. If I had it on hand I would have
    > used it in the biscuits, though. It works fine for mixing those up.
    >
    > Dawn

    Oh yeah, buttermilk biscuits. Yum! They are okay with plain milk or even skim milk, but non-fat
    buttermilk adds that extra zing! to biscuits :)
     
Loading...