Very Fast Sawmill Gravy Query

Tess

Guest
Hiya, Foodie Folks : )

In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
supper ': þ~

I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?

Cheers, ya'll!

~ Tess

Tess wrote:
> Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
>
> In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
> supper ': þ~
>
> I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
> milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
>
> Cheers, ya'll!
>
> ~ Tess

Cream yes, buttermilk, I'd think not.

Jill

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:34:28 GMT, "Tess" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
>supper ': þ~
>
>I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
>milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?

(Too late to be of help but...) IMHO, cream would be overkill. The meal is already heavy in fat, and
cream gravy *may* make it unbearably greasy. Buttermilk gravy *is* possible, 'though it won't taste
the same. No cans of evaporated milk or packets of dried on hand for emergencies? If I had cream
instead of milk, I'd dilute it a bit with water. Most substitutions go the other way -- for cream,
use milk + butter or oil.

Tess wrote:

> Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
>
> In the time it's taken my Mum to call me back, I could have asked ya'll, and gone ahead and made
> supper ': þ~
>
> I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2 cups
> milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?

Probably too late but, yes, cream works, but you want to use it in equal parts with water
otherwise it's just too thick. Heck, even just water will work if you haven't got milk, but then
you're looking at more of a brown gravy. I've used all combinations of milk, cream, and water at
some point, depending on how much of each I have left in the fridge before I go shopping on
Saturday morning.

Dawn

Dawn wrote:
> Tess wrote:
>
>> Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
>>
>> I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2
>> cups milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
>>

> Probably too late but, yes, cream works, but you want to use it in equal parts with water
> otherwise it's just too thick.

Agreed, I just didn't think about thinning the cream when I replied that cream would work. Some
things you do by rote and expect others will know :)

Heck, even just
> water will work if you haven't got milk, but then you're looking at more of a brown gravy. I've
> used all combinations of milk, cream, and water at some point, depending on how much of each I
> have left in the fridge before I go shopping on Saturday morning.
>

> Dawn

I was out this morning getting my hair cut and stopped at the store down the street where they serve
up a 'country breakfast'; they were getting ready to put out lunch. So I bought up all the cream
(sausage, not sawmill) gravy they had and am setting it aside for when I make biscuits tomorrow.

Jill

Thanks, ya'll : )

I went ahead and made it with mixed-up powdered milk, and it was pretty darned good, if I do say so.

The official word from the aforementioned Mum was that

a. No, you couldn't use buttermilk. I don't know why, sounds like it might work, but she said
not to do it.

b. Yes, cream would have worked, but she said it would actually be better if I'd diluted the cream
by about half. ( It was heavy whipping cream, too ).

c. I could have just used water. That doesn't sound very good, but her gravy was always great : )

Did you know ... ( it's a little - known fact ), that if you're out of sour cream for your baked
potato, you can pour a little buttermilk on it instead? It's really quite good : )

Happy eating ~

~ Tess

> Dawn wrote:
> > Tess wrote:
> >
> >> Hiya, Foodie Folks : )
> >>
> >> I'm making some bacon, biscuits, and, hopefully, sawmill gravy tonight. My recipe calls for 2
> >> cups milk. I'm out. Can I use buttermilk, or even cream?
> >>

> > Probably too late but, yes, cream works, but you want to use it in equal parts with water
> > otherwise it's just too thick.
>
> Agreed, I just didn't think about thinning the cream when I replied that cream would work. Some
> things you do by rote and expect others will know
:)

Tess wrote:

> The official word from the aforementioned Mum was that
>
> a. No, you couldn't use buttermilk. I don't know why, sounds like it might work, but she said not
> to do it.

Probably has something to do with the acidity of the buttermilk. If I had it on hand I would have
used it in the biscuits, though. It works fine for mixing those up.

Dawn

Dawn wrote:
> Tess wrote:
>

>> The official word from the aforementioned Mum was that
>>
>> a. No, you couldn't use buttermilk. I don't know why, sounds like it might work, but she said not
>> to do it.
>
> Probably has something to do with the acidity of the buttermilk. If I had it on hand I would have
> used it in the biscuits, though. It works fine for mixing those up.
>
> Dawn

Oh yeah, buttermilk biscuits. Yum! They are okay with plain milk or even skim milk, but non-fat
buttermilk adds that extra zing! to biscuits :)