Very frustrated...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by trinitykuo00, Jul 25, 2004.

1. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

Hi! I've been shopping for a hybrid for weeks now and I've narrowed it down to three bikes, the Trek 7200 (hybrid), the Trek 4100 (mtb), Giant Sedona DX (hybrid)... Having never gotten a good bike, I have absolutely no experience whatsoever and would really, really appreciate some advice on which is the better value, and I'd like to spend the least amount possible. I can probably buy the Trek 7200 for $350 while the Giant Sedona DX costs about $330, and the Trek 4100 (mtb with tires more suitable for the road) runs at about $330. I'm planning on riding 20 or or so miles a week, but being only 16, spending $400 is pretty much using all the money I've been saving for the past three years, so a road bike is out of the question. Even spending $400 stretches my tiny budget and is more double my starting budget. :( However, I'd still like to get a decent bike and I'm riding in a 26 mile leisure ride in October with my new bike.

Also, I'm...err...vertically challenged at only 5'2...and I'm not used to riding bigger bikes... :mad: which is why the Trek 4100 appeals to me, the smaller sizes. A big concern is if a frame size of 15 for the Trek 7200 would be too big for me. Should I spring for the Trek 7100 or the Sedona DX simply for the smaller sizes?

Sorry for the long-ish post...thanks in advance for your help! :D

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Fit is the most important thing.
    Physically fitting frame size should be your first concern.
    You will soon forget the $20 either way if the bicycle fits you right.
    The type of bicycle should also be suitable for the type of riding you intend.

3. Zer0hmz

Zer0hmz New Member

The Sedona and 4100 both have mountain bike tires, the 7200 and the Cypress line (Giant), have the "sportier" (all things being relative) 700c wheels. As Dave said, you have to figure out what kind of riding you want to do.

4. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

Thanks for replying! Well, I know all the bikes I mentioned pretty much fit my riding. I'd just like to know which has the better components for the value.

5. cd667

cd667 New Member

I'm guessing you are from America, so you may not be able to get one of these easily, but there is a British bike company called Ridgeback that make a hybrid especially for the vertically challenged:). Called the Rapide Series Comet Dimension 13 (cut straight from the website) and costs UKĀ£249.99. It has a 13.5 inch frame and lots of sensible touches like shorter brake levers, short cranks and revoshifters (for smaller hands).

Visit www.ridgebackbikes.co.uk to see it.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

6. John Picton

John Picton New Member

Trek make the 7100 in a small frame, although I've got the biggest they make at 26".

I haven't really used many other bikes, my previous bike of ten years was a Trek hybrid too, but the 7100 is great for general cycling. Set it up with a couple of Shwalbe Marathons and its a very reliable and fairly bomb proof machine for road / light tracks.

I recently did the "Vattern Rundan" in Sweden on mine, 300km long in a day, and when I finished it I felt good thanks to the comfortable ride. I also commute to and from work every day and it has never let me down.

7. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

I live in the US, so I don't think I would be able to get the Ridgeback, but thanks anyways. I was actually considering the Trek 7100, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the 7100 and the 7200. By small frame, do you mean 15? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy either the 7100 or 7200 now though...

8. Zer0hmz

Zer0hmz New Member

Have you considered an entry level mountain bike, and just put some slicks on it? Then when you want, put the knobby tires on it, and you got yourself a trail bike again. Take a look at the Giant Boulder..it's a nice bike and in your price range...I think you're too young for a "comfort" bike.

9. willk24

willk24 New Member

If I was you, I'd look at a mountain bike too. Comfort bikes are for "older" people who can't ride in such an aggressive position. '03 Specialized Rockhoppers are going for $299 right now, and you can get a set of slicks and tubes for less than $40. Trek also has a couple nice starter mt. bikes under $300. That's what I ride on the road and it's much more verstile too. At this level it's not the bike but the rider that makes the difference.

Let me know what you do.

10. John Picton

John Picton New Member

When comfort bikes are mentioned are we referring to the likes of the Trek Navigator series or the 7100 / 7200 hybrids? The frames of the Trek hybrids are a similar geometry to the mountain bikes, but I wouldn't even consider the Navigator series (if that's what is meant by a comfort bike).

If you don't intend to go any further than the odd gravel track and stay mainly on sealed roads then why get a mountain bike? A hybrid with 700c wheels and road style tyres makes more sense to me as it is better on a road.

11. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I also was considering buying a mountain bike and putting on slicks (see my first post above), but I had second thoughts, and then now I'm reconsidering after reading your posts. I have no idea how I would go about doing that...would I have to pay extra or can I just ask the bike store to switch out the tires? Also, I was under the impression that comfort bikes were bikes with completely upright positions, and, as John Picton pointed out, the Trek 7100 and 7200 would fall under the category of hybrid, and the hybrid is a mix of mountain bike and road bike... Am I wrong? Personally, I've never considered buying a comfort bike because I do believe they're mainly for older people. I know for many of you, buying a $300 bike would be nothing, but it's a reeeeeeeaaaaally big deal for me... :eek: and it's taking so long...*sigh* Well, thanks again for helping! :D

12. Zer0hmz

Zer0hmz New Member

The tire swap depends on your LBS, I can tell you that the one I go to will charge you for the slicks, and of course you keep your knobbies.

Although the hybrid frame geometry is a nice middle ground between road and mountain, it is still pretty upright. My personal opinion and advice, go for the mountain bike. Yes, you won't have the 700c wheels, but put a set of slicks on it, and you'll have a dual purpose bike. As you said, you're tight financially, might as well get the most bang for your buck right now.

Oh, for what it's worth, my brother in law is in the market in that price bracket as well, he tried the Giant Cypress, Trek Navigator 7100, and a Giant Boulder, he liked the Boulder the best. He said he liked the more agressive (less upright) stance on the bike. That's what he's going to be getting, with slicks.

Good luck, let us know what you get!

13. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

Yeah, get a mountain bike, when I looked at those pics I was like, are these girls bikes or somethin? A mountain bike is cheap, can be ridden of curbs, on the trails, and then thow on the slicks for some serious road racing.

14. John Picton

John Picton New Member

I got a fairly "aggresive" stance on my hybrid by being fitted properly by my dealer and having the bars lower than the saddle.

15. John Picton

John Picton New Member

Forgot to mention, my mate is 5ft 0 and has a 15" framed 7100. It fits him fine so whichever bike you choose you should be OK. I'm sure you'll have a reputable local dealer nearby, so If you can't decide what to do after reading all of our posts then maybe they could have the casting vote.

16. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

Actually, I am a girl, so the hybrids would probably suit me fine :). I personally thought that the mountain bikes looked a bit too boyish :p. My bike right now is kind of boyish...I don't like it. Okay, maybe not only because it's boyish... When I read reviews of the Trek 7200 and 4100 today, the 7200 had no negative reviews while the 4100 had too many to count. I'm leaning towards the 7200 now...

17. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

Ohhhhhh, you're a girl. Well, my girlfriend (actually ex-g/f as of today :( )got a Specialized Crossroads and she loves it. We go (went :( ) on rides along the bike path all the time. It seems (seemed :( ) like it's an efficient bike and easy to pedal because it's got street tires, but they aren't too narrow to be squirrley - I hop (hopped :( ) it off curbs all the time, and it holds (held) up like a champ.
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6006

oh... and it was less than $300

18. Slider77

Slider77 New Member

Don't be ridiculous. No girlfriend ends up costing less than $300!! :p

19. John Picton

John Picton New Member

Funniest post of the week! LOL!

20. John Picton

John Picton New Member

trinitykuo00, there's a post somewhere in the forum where someone asks about the differences between the Trek 7100, 7200 and 7300 and what extra you get for your money. May be worth a read before you part with your cash as you're on a tight budget.

The search facility should find it. Check that the extra cash gets you features you want rather than just a different colour frame and an extra number painted on it! They seem to suggest that cycling blind (not generally recommended!) you probably wouldn't notice the difference.