Very gentle tingling in arm / shoulder

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
I've been to see the Doc about a very gentle tingling in the left arm, neck and lower shoulder. He doesn't seem to be worried about it but thought I would see if anyone else has these symptoms and what they have done about it.

The tingling is so gentle that a lot of the time I don't even notice it! I seem to remember a while ago that I used to get tingling in the left hand a little when cycling, but that seems to have stopped now.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of it may be to do with my work as I sit at a computer all day! I saw an interesting article online saying that a possible cause of tingling is those who spend a lot of time in the "thinker" position like I do (or did!), where they rest their head on their fist with their elbow on the desk. I've started to stretch during work hours now but as I just started this yesterday I've yet to evaluate it's effect.

I cycle to work every day on a Specialized Crossroads - A nice comfy bike with a fairly upright riding position and no suspension. I use gel golves and when on my road bike change my position regularly.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

I used to have a similar problem. For me tho, the tingling feeling would eventually get quite painful. I got a smaller bike (went from a 56 to a 54) and all of a sudden all tingling was gone. Mabye you could get a shorter stem and have the same effect since i think i was just stretched out too much.

runningvato said:
I used to have a similar problem. For me tho, the tingling feeling would eventually get quite painful. I got a smaller bike (went from a 56 to a 54) and all of a sudden all tingling was gone. Mabye you could get a shorter stem and have the same effect since i think i was just stretched out too much.

Thanks for your comments, I'll have a good look at my setup.

I've learned "gentle tingling" (anywhere, mainly big muscles) can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency.

John Picton said:
I've been to see the Doc about a very gentle tingling in the left arm, neck and lower shoulder. He doesn't seem to be worried about it but thought I would see if anyone else has these symptoms and what they have done about it.

The tingling is so gentle that a lot of the time I don't even notice it! I seem to remember a while ago that I used to get tingling in the left hand a little when cycling, but that seems to have stopped now.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of it may be to do with my work as I sit at a computer all day! I saw an interesting article online saying that a possible cause of tingling is those who spend a lot of time in the "thinker" position like I do (or did!), where they rest their head on their fist with their elbow on the desk. I've started to stretch during work hours now but as I just started this yesterday I've yet to evaluate it's effect.

I cycle to work every day on a Specialized Crossroads - A nice comfy bike with a fairly upright riding position and no suspension. I use gel golves and when on my road bike change my position regularly.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

I imagine that taking magnesium neat probably isn't a good idea, so what's the best way to increase daily intake?

Also check out this thread-- http://cyclingforums.com/t179105-pain-neck-back-arm-and-finger-numbness-resolved.html . My riding buddy had a similar thing develop that started out as gentle tingling and then turned into pretty bad pain from his shoulder all the way to his hands. Eventually it got so bad that his arm was pretty numb all the time. After seeing docs for MRI's and x-rays that didn't really show anything, he went for some physical therapy and massage which helped a lot. Then his chiropractor/massage therapist/physical therapist gave him some exercises similar to those mentioned in this other thread. Since then, his arm is doing much better. Hope you get it figured out.