very interesting legal drug users analysis

Creatine is not currently on the banned substances list.

You can see a list at www.usantidoping.org

"MD-CYCLIST" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear Fello Cyclists
>
> I have a question and is conserning Sports suppliments but Not directly connected to this
> Thread, I would like to know if CREATINE is legal in Cycling I know its Legal in Athletics as I
> used to use as a athlete and I know many Athletes are on Creatine, I am now using creatine as I
> feel its helping me with my endurance but what I wanted to know is it legal in Cycling, I hope
> you can clarify this to me and I hope to hear from you very soon.
>
> Kind regards A H Khadra

The IOC is trying to tighten up on the use. I believe the IOC has the power to request a test for
asthma (or EIA) with a doc of its choosing. It has asked for documentation in a couple of cases.

They really should be looking harder at more serious problems.

"Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:CYDya.679183$Zo.146041@sccrnsc03...
> Albuterol (salbutamol outside the US) is allowed with pre-notification.
As
> others have pointed out it has little, if any, ergogenic benefit in the absence of airways
> disease. Like most of the substances that are controlled in athletics, it is controlled not
> because it has an ergogenic benefit but because it has been perceived to have some sort of benefit
> and this has lead to it being used in excessive dosages and otherwise inappropriately. It is
> certainly not surprising that athletes involved in sports that are heavily aerobic like cycling
> are more likely to use agents to treat airway disease compared to athletes in less aerobic sports,
> like badminton. It is unlikely that all the athletes that are using albuterol actually have
> airways disease but used within acceptable doses they are neither gaining any benefit or exposing
> themselves to undue risk.
>
> --
> Mike Murray MD

I have EIA so my situation might be different, but I only use albuterol for hard efforts.

If you have asthma, the bigger danger is DEATH! Asthma kills people in case you have not heard. Take
your meds.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> so I have been flogging myself for no reason? the reason I did the
research
> and found what I did is that I have been scripted to use this stuff for
the
> last 4 years. I haven't used it and around allergy season I go backwards
on
> the bike. and that's when riding down hill. I can attest to the person not using it that you have
> an asthmatic attack every time your HR goes a
couple
> of % above your threshold. then its scary **** knowing your about to pass out from lacka when the
> rest of the group is looking at you like your some kind of freak. so let me ask this, again. what
> are the long term side affects if I do succumb to using big al inhalers? do I have to use them for
> the entire
year?
> it would seem that use of them long term would damage the lungs, heart etc...? will I be world
> champion by next year?
>
> oh yea, Colorado should get rid of all purple mustard weeds. that's the culprit.....pray for no
> rain and lots of lowland fires.....lololo
>

> "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:CYDya.679183$Zo.146041@sccrnsc03...
> > Albuterol (salbutamol outside the US) is allowed with pre-notification.
> As
> > others have pointed out it has little, if any, ergogenic benefit in the absence of airways
> > disease. Like most of the substances that are controlled in athletics, it is controlled not
> > because it has an
ergogenic
> > benefit but because it has been perceived to have some sort of benefit
and
> > this has lead to it being used in excessive dosages and otherwise inappropriately. It is
> > certainly not surprising that athletes involved
in
> > sports that are heavily aerobic like cycling are more likely to use
agents
> > to treat airway disease compared to athletes in less aerobic sports, like badminton. It is
> > unlikely that all the athletes that are using
albuterol
> > actually have airways disease but used within acceptable doses they are neither gaining any
> > benefit or exposing themselves to undue risk.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Murray MD

Mike, no offense, but are you diagnosing and giving medical advice without knowing all the
patient details?

On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:52:18 -0600, "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike, no offense, but are you diagnosing and giving medical advice without knowing all the
>patient details?

Welcome to Usenet.

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

he knows my name, what else is there? he is right on anyway. I just got back from the doc....

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mike, no offense, but are you diagnosing and giving medical advice without knowing all the patient
> details?
>
> "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p9Nya.933442$F1.115717@sccrnsc04...
> >
> > "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote: "so I have been flogging myself for no reason?"
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > JTN also asks: "what are the long term side affects if I do succumb to using big al inhalers?"
> >
> > Long term side effects are pretty minimal. You may have a slightly
> greater
> > requirement for using beta agonist inhealers the more frequently you use them but this is pretty
> > minimal.
> >
> > " do I have to use them for the entire year?"
> >
> > No. It is best to just use them as needed.
> >
> > " it would seem that use of them long term would damage the lungs, heart etc...?"
> >
> > This does not appear to be the case. I do not know why it would seem
that
> > it should be either.
> >
> > "will I be world champion by next year?"
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Mike Murray MD

Answering questoins about common treatments isn't the same thing as offering medical advice.

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mike, no offense, but are you diagnosing and giving medical advice
without
> knowing all the patient details?
>
> "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p9Nya.933442$F1.115717@sccrnsc04...
> >
> > "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote: "so I have been flogging myself for no reason?"
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > JTN also asks: "what are the long term side affects if I do succumb to using big
al
> > inhalers?"
> >
> > Long term side effects are pretty minimal. You may have a
slightly
> greater
> > requirement for using beta agonist inhealers the more frequently
you use
> > them but this is pretty minimal.
> >
> > " do I have to use them for the entire year?"
> >
> > No. It is best to just use them as needed.
> >
> > " it would seem that use of them long term would damage the lungs,
heart
> > etc...?"
> >
> > This does not appear to be the case. I do not know why it would
seem that
> > it should be either.
> >
> > "will I be world champion by next year?"
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Mike Murray MD

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p9Nya.933442$F1.115717@sccrnsc04...
> >
> > "will I be world champion by next year?"
> >
> > No.
>
> OK, Warren says yes and you say no. I realize that you're the Doctor but Warren is the racer. So
> who's right?

Neither, since doctors and racers don't know anything. If you want the answer you'll have to ask
somebody who's published the results of a double-blind study on the topic.

-WG

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote "Mike, no offense, but are you diagnosing and giving
medical advice without knowing all the patient details?"

Would that be when I told JTN that he would not be world champion next year? The questions I
answered were about the drug and not the patient.

--
Mike Murray

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote: " OK, Warren says yes and you say no. I realize that
you're the Doctor but Warren is the racer. So who's right?"

I think you might reasonably argue that I am both doctor and racer so by this criteria my answer
would appear to trump Warren's. Everyone else is free to make their own predictions.

--
Mike Murray

In article <ArLza.969281$F1.118533@sccrnsc04>, Mike Murray <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote "Mike, no offense, but are you diagnosing and giving
> medical advice without knowing all the patient details?"
>
> Would that be when I told JTN that he would not be world champion next year? The questions I
> answered were about the drug and not the patient.

I bow to your superior intellect.

-WG

"Mike Murray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ArLza.969282$F1.118840@sccrnsc04...

> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote: " OK, Warren says yes and you say no. I realize that
> you're the
Doctor but
> Warren is the racer. So who's right?"
>
> I think you might reasonably argue that I am both doctor and racer
so by
> this criteria my answer would appear to trump Warren's. Everyone
else is
> free to make their own predictions.

As we all know, a large club trumps Warren, but nevertheless I like the way he takes everything so
seriously whereas you're too quick to spot a bit of sarcasm.