Very interesting Ullrich interview

[email protected] (Phillip) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (mr60percent) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I wouldn't be so sure that Ullrich doesn't see Lance as the enemy and use him as motivation.
> > > But given Lance's need for an opponent to overcome, Ullrich's best strategy would be to play
> > > it cool and try not to rile up Lance. I think he's showing a greater maturity and knowledge of
> > > how to go against Armstrong.
> > >
> > > I remember reading Bob Roll's recipe for how to beat Lance Armstrong. It was basically.
> > > 1) Don't get Lance mad
> > > 2) Don't tell lance he can't do something
> > > 3) Don't get Lance mad
> > > 4) Don't get on Lance's hit list
> > > 5) Don't get Lance mad
> > > 6) Ride like hell
> > > 7) Don't get Lance mad ...
> >
> > Disagree; Ulrich is both a talented sportsman and a gentleman but he needs a rocket up his ass.
> > He should get Armstrong mad. When Armstrong starts that pissy whining then you know you're doing
> > the right job. If he comes out with pacifying ******** about "Jan the biggest talent..." then
> > you're not. Ulrich should **** the Texan off. He shows Armstrong too much respect. He needs to
> > take a leaf out of the Roche/Fignon book of cycling regarding riding for the win - its the
> > yellow or nothing;

Ullrich should not have waited for Armstrong when he crashed. Despite all the debate it would have
been fair for Ullrich to ride at same pace. Secondly Ullrich should have attacked more.......

> > As well Ulrich shouldn't have waited on Armstrong when he crashed. Armstrong made his own
> > mistake by riding too close to the spectators and it was Ulrich who paid the price by waiting
> > and having his rhythm interrupted.
>

> Besides, I don't remember Lance waiting for Beloki.
>
> I have watched the last TDF many times on tape and I think Ullrich hurt himself on the mountains
> by riding a tempo for Lance. He destroyed most of the other riders and then Lance was fresh enough
> to sprint out near the top to grab a few seconds. He should have held back and made Lance chase
> Vino or Mayo or whomever else. If Ullrich would get a leader like Bryunell (guessed at spelling)
> or Riis and had anyone but his current staff giving him instructions he possibly could have won
> last year.
>
> And no, I don't believe the brake was rubbing for the first 100 miles either.
>
> Phillip

> > Stage 4 TT results (from
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage4)
> > 1. USPS
> > 2. ONCE +:30
> > 3. Bianchi +:43
> >
> > Final GC: (from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage20)
> > 1. Armstrong
> > 2. Ullrich +1:01
>
> And Lance backed way the hell off after Jan fell in the final TT.

Rarely mentioned is the fact that the earlier riders (including winner Millar) had a tremendous
advantage over Ullrich & Lance, due to wind. I was there; the earlier riders had the benefit of a
hellacious tail wind (plus rain) while the later riders got just the rain. That's the reason Millar
was able to win the stage even having crashed.

I can only imagine how fast Lance, Ullrich & Tyler would have ridden under the same conditions
as Millar.

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Robet wrote:> > Stage 4 TT results (from
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage4)
> > 1. USPS
> > 2. ONCE +:30
> > 3. Bianchi +:43
> >
> > Final GC: (from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage20)
> > 1. Armstrong
> > 2. Ullrich +1:01
>
> And Lance backed way the hell off after Jan fell in the final TT.
> > > Am I mistaken but if the USPS team had not won the team time trial competition, Lance might
> > > not have got the yellow jersey after all.

"trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I wouldn't be so sure that Ullrich doesn't see Lance as the enemy and use him as motivation. But
> given Lance's need for an opponent to overcome, Ullrich's best strategy would be to play it cool
> and try not to rile up Lance. I think he's showing a greater maturity and knowledge of how to go
> against Armstrong.
>
> I remember reading Bob Roll's recipe for how to beat Lance Armstrong. It was basically.
> 1) Don't get Lance mad
> 2) Don't tell lance he can't do something
> 3) Don't get Lance mad
> 4) Don't get on Lance's hit list
> 5) Don't get Lance mad
> 6) Ride like hell
> 7) Don't get Lance mad

It's poetic to say **** like this, but don't kid yourself, it's not like Lance just gets "fired up"
and makes 7 W/kg.

-Amit

blah blah blah...

Ullrich is gonna kick Lances ass this Summer, no doubt about it. Lance is getting weaker, Ulrich is
getting stronger and has a better team to ride for him this year (TTT!)

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Robet wrote:
> > > Am I mistaken but if the USPS team had not won the team time trial competition, Lance might
> > > not have got the yellow jersey after all.
> >
> > Stage 4 TT results (from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage4)
> > 1. USPS
> > 2. ONCE +:30
> > 3. Bianchi +:43
> >
> > Final GC: (from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage20)
> > 1. Armstrong
> > 2. Ullrich +1:01
>
> And Lance backed way the hell off after Jan fell in the final TT.

And if mice had wings they'd be bats.

"kb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> blah blah blah...
>
> Ullrich is gonna kick Lances ass this Summer, no doubt about it.
Lance is
> getting weaker, Ulrich is getting stronger and has a better team to
ride for
> him this year (TTT!)

> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Stage 4 TT results (from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage4)
> > > 1. USPS
> > > 2. ONCE +:30
> > > 3. Bianchi +:43
> > >
> > > Final GC: (from http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=results/stage20)
> > > 1. Armstrong
> > > 2. Ullrich +1:01
> >
> > And Lance backed way the hell off after Jan fell in the final TT.

"kb" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> blah blah blah...
>
> Ullrich is gonna kick Lances ass this Summer, no doubt about it. Lance is getting weaker, Ulrich
> is getting stronger and has a better team to ride for him this year (TTT!)

How many times have we heard this before? I belive it was repeated numerous times during this past
Tour. We'll see! In the end, hopefully we'll have an exciting Tour at least.

Went back and reviewed this years tdf..... I have come to the conclusion that Armstrong will most
likely ride a defensive 2004 tdf to win. On the otherhand the competition is very close between
Ullrich and Armtrong. So given this fact I think we will have to wait until the spring season. As
for a 7th tdf win the UCI min race rule will change cycling for the better.

[email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in message news:<

[email protected]>...
> "Torben Rucker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
> > http://www.stern.de/sport-motor/sportwelt/index.html?id=518001
> >
> > (in German)
>
> It sounds as though the message from Ullrich is that Armstrong uses and or needs Ullrich as
> motivation. On the otherhand Jan see's the competition between himself and the TDF to
> motivate him.
>
> This could be a potential weakness for Jan since he might not possibly benchmark himself
> adequately benchmark himself against Lance. But Jan is motivated make no mistake about it.

I'm not sure who to pick for next year. This year, Armstrong clearly showed the advantage over Ullrich in the Alps, but I guess Ullrich was sick for a few days. In the TT Armstrong clearly looked dehydrated (although he finished 2nd), and his performance on Ax-Dominaes suffered because of it. They both seemed healthy by Luz Ardiden, and Armstrong had the advantage.

Armstrong didn't seem to enter the tour this year as prepared as usual. But Ullrich didn't sound like he had proper training before the tour either.
Who knows who will be stronger, but I think next year they will both have the upper hand over everyone else.

leif_ericson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm not sure who to pick for next year. This year, Armstrong clearly showed the advantage over
> Ullrich in the Alps, but I guess Ullrich was sick for a few days. In the TT Armstrong clearly
> looked dehydrated (although he finished 2nd), and his performance on Ax-Dominaes suffered because
> of it. They both seemed healthy by Luz Ardiden, and Armstrong had the advantage.
>
> Armstrong didn't seem to enter the tour this year as prepared as usual. But Ullrich didn't sound
> like he had proper training before the tour either. Who knows who will be stronger, but I think
> next year they will both have the upper hand over everyone else.

It's hard to say if Armstrong was ill prepared or if was just showing signs of age. But given the
fact that US Postal has been strengthening it's team so much it's probably the latter. On the
otherhand Lance did not race the Tour of Switzerland, which might have played a role.

As for Jan I think it's only natural his form is a bit off. For most riders it usually takes a year
to recover.

> --

"Torben Rucker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> http://www.stern.de/sport-motor/sportwelt/index.html?id=518001
>
> (in German)

After reading the translation of this interview and in the light of Armstrong's recent behavior I
find myself hoping that Ullrich kicks Lance's ass next year !!

Lance shows poor sprtsmanship when he denegrates Ullrich's performance constantly saying
things like:
- Ullrich didn't wait for me like I waited for him
- If I was second so many times I'd find another race
- I only won by a minute because my form was so bad
- Ullrich won the Olympics because my radio didn't work right

Lance shows himself as a self centered jerk in his own book. There where hints of it as far back as
his first book. He left the girlfriend that saw him through cancer for his current (soon to be ex
wife). He saw fit to devote one or two paragraphs to this split. I would think the average person
would find a need to explain such a situation but for Lance "you saw me through
cancer...thanks...bye'

In an interview with Kik Armstrong juts before the tour she indicated she was still hopeful of
working things out. Lance left almost immediately after the tour and lost no time finding
Sheryl Crow.

I know there are people who will say 'Who cares about his behaviour. I'm a fan of his racing'. But
Lance himself said 'Its not about the bike'. And Lance without his bike leaves alot to be desired.

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "B. Lafferty"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Matt Cahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >

> > > And Lance without his bike leaves alot to be desired.
> >
> > Nice line.
>
> Gee, if only we could be this critical of our world leaders and hold THEM up to the same scrutiny!

Some of us expect more of our world "leaders." It's to be expected from Armstrong given his
dysfunctional family or origin. The happy reality is that he really doesn't affect very many outside
his immediate family.

B. Lafferty wrote:
> "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:blanshay-
> [email protected]...
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, "B. Lafferty"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"Matt Cahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Nice line.
>>
>>Gee, if only we could be this critical of our world leaders and hold THEM up to the same scrutiny!
>

> Some of us expect more of our world "leaders." It's to be expected from Armstrong given his
> dysfunctional family or origin. The happy reality is that he really doesn't affect very many
> outside his immediate family.

As one commentator remarked some time ago (20 years or so) after a function in Crawford, Texas:
"Lovely people those Bushes. Glad they aren't running the country."

In article <[email protected]>, "B.
Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:blanshay-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "B. Lafferty"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Matt Cahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Nice line.
> >
> > Gee, if only we could be this critical of our world leaders and hold THEM up to the same
> > scrutiny!
>
> Some of us expect more of our world "leaders." It's to be expected from Armstrong given his
> dysfunctional family or origin. The happy reality is that he really doesn't affect very many
> outside his immediate family.

Good for you, then. I think we expect ten times more from athletes than we expect from those who run
the countr(ies) at times. Then we're surpised when athletes act like orangutans- well, duh, what do
you expect from half literate morons who are given 18 million bucks before they are old enough to
legally drink? However, Armstrong is hardly a scandal If you read cycling magazines or european
papers, it's like half of them are divorced on on their second marriages. It's just lance is so
famous. But it's not like he's hired a hitman to kill his wife.

However, he hasn't exactly come off like husband of the year in some of his interviews. In fact, he
came of as being kind of a shmuck!

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote:

> >>Nice line.
> >

> How can you say that? Look at how peaceful, how generous, how introspective the man appears:
>
> http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10074000/10074259.jpg
>
> Dan

Where's the farmer's tan?

--
tanx, Howard

Said you hit Roddy Piper, and didn't get a hassle, Promised your girl filet mignon, then took
her to White Castle! LL Cool J

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

[email protected] (Matt Cahill) wrote in message>

> After reading the translation of this interview and in the light of Armstrong's recent behavior I
> find myself hoping that Ullrich kicks Lance's ass next year !!
>
> Lance shows poor sprtsmanship when he denegrates Ullrich's performance constantly saying
> things like:
> - Ullrich didn't wait for me like I waited for him
> - If I was second so many times I'd find another race
> - I only won by a minute because my form was so bad
> - Ullrich won the Olympics because my radio didn't work right
>
> Lance shows himself as a self centered jerk in his own book. There where hints of it as far back
> as his first book. He left the girlfriend that saw him through cancer for his current (soon to be
> ex wife). He saw fit to devote one or two paragraphs to this split. I would think the average
> person would find a need to explain such a situation but for Lance "you saw me through
> cancer...thanks...bye'
>
> In an interview with Kik Armstrong juts before the tour she indicated

You dont have to read any of his books to realise how little value Armstrong places on personal
relationships. I was sickened by the all consuming ego and self-centered nature of this guy as far
back as '95 when he used the death of Casartelli (his teammate, college and supposed friend) as an
emotional spring board to win a stage in the '95 Tour.

If a friend of mine died in a race I dont think I could even turn the pedals let alone have the
desire to win. The grotesque image of Armstrong crossing the finishing line pointing to the heavens
a couple of days after Casartelli's death is truely sickening but not surprising.

mr60percent wrote:
> You dont have to read any of his books to realise how little value Armstrong places on personal
> relationships. I was sickened by the all consuming ego and self-centered nature of this guy as far
> back as '95 when he used the death of Casartelli (his teammate, college and supposed friend) as an
> emotional spring board to win a stage in the '95 Tour.
>
> If a friend of mine died in a race I dont think I could even turn the pedals let alone have the
> desire to win. The grotesque image of Armstrong crossing the finishing line pointing to the
> heavens a couple of days after Casartelli's death is truely sickening but not surprising.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/parisnice03/stage7/cycling-paris-nice-vinok-51
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_13844145.shtml

Speaking of primates running countries, do you follow Steve Bell's cartoon in The Guardian?