Very Limited LBS - Few Brands - Help!

Phillip T. Murp

Guest
I just finished perusing throught the 35,000+ posts in this newsgroup that my server had queued up.
I am trying to figure out what entry-level bike to purchase.

The concensus seems to be "go ride as many as you can and buy what fits you and is in your price
range." However, I live in a fairly small town with two "Bike Shops" that have quite a limited
inventory and between them only carry about two or three brands worth considering.

I am looking a two hours of driving each way to get to a big city where all major brands would be
represented.

What have others done in this situation?

Thanks!

Philip T Murphy asks:

>What have others done in this situation?

Bear in mind that if you get free service, even once, it is easi=er to go local. As long as they are
selling reputable brands, seem to know what they are doing, and you find one that fits in the right
colour, I would support you _local_ bike shop. You do _not_ want to have to drive for 4 hours just
to get something tweaked.

Steve

"Phillip T. Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> However, I live in a fairly small town with two "Bike Shops" that have quite a limited inventory
> and between them only carry about two or three brands worth considering.
>
> I am looking a two hours of driving each way to get to a big city where all major brands would be
> represented.
>
> What have others done in this situation?

There's only one small LBS here. Although his prices are a bit higher than some other shops that
are an or two hour drive away, I chose to do business with him because of the local service and the
"extras". Extras like: customer service on a first name basis, leads to the newest/secret trails,
new riding buddies, local news and events, etc. Even the smallest shops will have something in
stock for you... and if you're set on a particular model/specs, most will be more than happy to
order it for you.

And one major point that is usually overlooked... it keeps your money in the community.
Support your LBS.

Just my $.02 worth...

--
- Chris - www.skokatt.com
_____________________________

People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child. In a jar. On my desk.

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Philip T Murphy asks:
>

>>What have others done in this situation?
>

> Bear in mind that if you get free service, even once, it is easi=er to go local. As long as they
> are selling reputable brands, seem to know what they are doing, and you find one that fits in the
> right colour, I would support you _local_ bike shop. You do _not_ want to have to drive for 4
> hours just to get something tweaked.
>
> Steve

I'd agree. Try the local bike shops first. Talk to the sales people and get a feel for the shops. If
you like anything and it fits, run it through here and I'm sure you'll get a "couple" of opinions
(some actually worth listening to :)).

David

David Kunzscribbled :
> Stephen Baker wrote:
>> Philip T Murphy asks:
>>

>>> What have others done in this situation?
>>

>> Bear in mind that if you get free service, even once, it is easi=er to go local. As long as they
>> are selling reputable brands, seem to know what they are doing, and you find one that fits in the
>> right colour, I would support you _local_ bike shop. You do _not_ want to have to drive for 4
>> hours just to get something tweaked.
>>
>> Steve
>
> I'd agree. Try the local bike shops first. Talk to the sales people and get a feel for the shops.
> If you like anything and it fits, run it through here and I'm sure you'll get a "couple" of
> opinions (some actually worth listening to :)).
>
> David

I felt this way when I was bike shopping. I was readyto take a road trip and then I found exactly
what I needed, used. That eliminated the guilt factor for not buying at my favorite lbs. I still
spend lots of $$ there tho!!

penny

"Phillip T. Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just finished perusing throught the 35,000+ posts in this newsgroup that my server had queued
> up. I am trying to figure out what entry-level bike
> purchase.
>
> The concensus seems to be "go ride as many as you can and buy what fits
you
> and is in your price range." However, I live in a fairly small town with two "Bike Shops" that
> have quite a limited inventory and between them only carry about two or three brands worth
> considering.
>
> I am looking a two hours of driving each way to get to a big city where
all
> major brands would be represented.
>
> What have others done in this situation?
>
> Thanks!

How may hours do you plan on being on your bike? If you plan on riding alot drive the four hours and
get what you want. The whole support the LBS is BS when it comes to getting what you want... If you
go to the big city and find the same as what you can get at your local LBS at close to the same
price buy at the LBS. Just remember if you do need a tweak on your bike the LBS should be able to
tweak any bike you have whether you bought it there or not... of course you will have to pay for it
where you might have gotten a year of tune-ups free if you had bought it there.

Bottom line don't compromise on the bike just because the LBS does not have what you want.

-js

What if the only local bike shop has only one decent brand and the consensus you hear from others is
that the guy is a real ****...? Luckily there are 3 shops i have heard very good things about w/in
an hr. from me.

I must say that i don't have the knowledge/purchasing experience of many here but i would think,
drive the 4hrs get what you like from a good shop, that is, only if those 2 shops you mentioned
don't have what you need. If they do, by all means stay local which would be preferable But if not
bite the bullet and drive back once or twice for any tweaking/set-up needed and start learning how
to care for your bike yourself. No doubt having a great shop w/in riding distance would be the way
to go..(what a dream) but us small towners are sometimes stuck in this regard.

I have found the folks here to be highly knowledgeable/helpful in the few weeks i've been
lurking/posting. So get your bike and be ready to ask lots of questions.:) Peace, Pilgrim

"Joe Seamour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Phillip T. Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I just finished perusing throught the 35,000+ posts in this newsgroup
that
> > my server had queued up. I am trying to figure out what entry-level
bike
> > purchase.
> >
> > The concensus seems to be "go ride as many as you can and buy what fits
> you
> > and is in your price range." However, I live in a fairly small town
with
> > two "Bike Shops" that have quite a limited inventory and between them
only
> > carry about two or three brands worth considering.
> >
> > I am looking a two hours of driving each way to get to a big city where
> all
> > major brands would be represented.
> >
> > What have others done in this situation?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> How may hours do you plan on being on your bike? If you plan on riding
alot
> drive the four hours and get what you want. The whole support the LBS is
BS
> when it comes to getting what you want... If you go to the big city and
find
> the same as what you can get at your local LBS at close to the same price buy at the LBS. Just
> remember if you do need a tweak on your bike the LBS should be able to tweak any bike you have
> whether you bought it there or not... of course you will have to pay for it where you might have
> gotten a year of tune-ups free if you had bought it there.
>
> Bottom line don't compromise on the bike just because the LBS does not
have
> what you want.
>
> -js

This thread needs to watch the first series of League of Gentleman (BBC America).

Then, Local Shop takes on a whole nre meaning ;-)

"Phillip T. Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just finished perusing throught the 35,000+ posts in this newsgroup that my server had queued
> up. I am trying to figure out what entry-level bike
> purchase.
>
> The concensus seems to be "go ride as many as you can and buy what fits
you
> and is in your price range." However, I live in a fairly small town with two "Bike Shops" that
> have quite a limited inventory and between them only carry about two or three brands worth
> considering.
>
> I am looking a two hours of driving each way to get to a big city where
all
> major brands would be represented.
>
> What have others done in this situation?
>
> Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation except that my small town LBS is just over 1 hour away and the other big
city bike shops are 4 hours drive. Do some more research using the 'net and get what you want. Even
if it means taking a trip to the big city bike shops _Especially_ if you end up spending big money
on the new bike. You'd be mad to settle for what the LBS supplies and be dissatisfied with it just
to support them.

Now, on the flipside, you CAN support the LBS without buying a bike there. You do it by getting all
your other stuff there. And if you ride a lot there'll be LOTS of other stuff you'll want and need
to get. Once they get to know you and realise that you do ride, and that you're not just some jerk
hanging around wanting free stuff and talking ********, they should come to the party.
--
Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I'm in a similar situation except that my small town LBS is just over 1
hour
> away and the other big city bike shops are 4 hours drive. Do some more research using the 'net and
> get what you want. Even if it
means
> taking a trip to the big city bike shops _Especially_ if you end up spending big money on the new
> bike. You'd be
mad
> to settle for what the LBS supplies and be dissatisfied with it just to support them.
>
> Now, on the flipside, you CAN support the LBS without buying a bike there. You do it by getting
> all your other stuff there. And if you ride a lot there'll be LOTS of other stuff you'll want and
> need to get. Once they
get
> to know you and realise that you do ride, and that you're not just some
jerk
> hanging around wanting free stuff and talking ********, they should come
> the party.
> --
> Westie

This is a great thread and an interesting conversation. My opinion is that an LBS is most valuable
for someone who is marginally familiar with bikes, maintenance and fitting. Many newbies can greatly
benefit from the personal attention give at the shop, these guys are in the business and probably
have significant experience, BUT they do want to sell bikes, so a more informed buyer is always a
good thing. If you can't or don't want to wrench your own bike, then by from an LBS.

If I can be so bold, someone like myself who I would consider a reasonable wrench and somewhat
informed and experienced, can also benefit from the LBS, but not in the same way. Time and money
prohibit me from experiencing all that is available in the biking world, whether it is a helmet,
shock or tire. My LBS aquaintences provide additional knowledge and opinions on what works on local
trails. We may not ride the same way or have the same requirements, but we do ride the same trails
and roads and can discuss the merits of equipment with some common ground. I'll buy from the LBS
when their information leads me to something they have and I would like. But I'll also buy online
because I have a better selection and can install it myself.

For the super experienced rider who rides more miles in a year then they drive, the LBS is still a
great resource. Most of these guys I have met know the LBS owners well, but a ton of stuff there and
get near internet prices. They probably ride with the owners on a regular basis. When you are
spending a couple of thousand a year, you can get that from your LBS.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)