Very new, need help buying first bargain bike

justin984

Aug 28, 2007
I just bought a pos bike from walmart about 2 days ago and already the rear wheel is loose so I'm taking it back. I'm very new to biking so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money just yet, I'd like to keep it under 300 if I could. I'm willing to buy used, I just don't know what to look for, or where to look. I'm mostly interested in a casual bike that I can ride back and forth to work 10-15 miles a day.
Any help is much appreciated :)

justin984 said:
I just bought a pos bike from walmart about 2 days ago and already the rear wheel is loose so I'm taking it back. I'm very new to biking so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money just yet, I'd like to keep it under 300 if I could. I'm willing to buy used, I just don't know what to look for, or where to look. I'm mostly interested in a casual bike that I can ride back and forth to work 10-15 miles a day.
Any help is much appreciated :)
casual? check out the Trek 7100. bought my girlfriend one about two months ago for $319, even though thats more than you want to spend, its a GOOD bike, with a lifetime warranty on the frame (which is good on a frame built in china). you will get an upright riding position, 700x35c tires which are slim for road use, but wide enough to offer some shock absorbtion, front suspension fork and suspension seatpost to help with potholes, bumps, rail road tracks etc., and grip shifters which anyone with a few brain cells can use. Right now they might be on clearance if you can find last years model.

Specialized also has a similar bike called the crossroads, for 10 bucks more.

you WANT a good brand of bike, if you ride 15 miles X 5 days a week = 75 miles a week might ruin a cheaper bike (from walmart). Go to a local bike shop and ask them. not only do you get better product, you get experience and service from people who are serious about bikes. if you find a shop that doesnt give you that, go to a different one. the bike shop i frequent is a bit pricier than some, but they treat me like family and that is worth a few extra bucks here and there. two bikes within 6 months from them and not a complaint in the world!

i know thats a few $10 bills over your limit, but either would serve you for many many years to come. my old aluminum mongoose frame just got a few cracks in the headtube after 9 years of straight out abuse, yet looks new because i took care of the bike. and it only cracked because somone (umm me?) didnt have the headset tight enough. My dad knows a guy at work who should be able to weld it up for me, and i expect another 9+ years of much lighter use out of the bike :)

Thanks alot :) I did some quick research and found out the the fork suspension on the 7100 is not adjustable. Is it worth the extra 50 bucks for a non adjustable suspension or should i go with the 7000? I weigh about 230 lbs, I don't know if im in the weight range for the 7100's suspension, i couldn't find that info. Anyone know?