very OT, need software suggestion

Penny S

Guest
drawing for fun, something in between Paint and Adobe Illustrator... any ideas? Freeware/shareware
would be nice but not necesary

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> drawing for fun, something in between Paint and Adobe Illustrator... any ideas? Freeware/shareware
> would be nice but not necesary
>
> Penny

JASC paint shop pro. A lot cheaper than adobe, but still has tons and tons of features. - plus if
you don't mind setting your computer clock back every time you start it up, you can keep on using
the full featured trial version
:)

I think its www.jasc.com, but google it if not.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> drawing for fun, something in between Paint and Adobe Illustrator... any ideas?
>> Freeware/shareware would be nice but not necesary
>>
>> Penny
>
> JASC paint shop pro. A lot cheaper than adobe, but still has tons and tons of features. - plus if
> you don't mind setting your computer clock back every time you start it up, you can keep on using
> the full featured trial version :)
>
> I think its www.jasc.com, but google it if not.
>
> Jon Bond

I was going to say the same thing. http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/. Well worth the $79 I
use mine all the time.

Matt

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > drawing for fun, something in between Paint and Adobe Illustrator... any ideas?
> > Freeware/shareware would be nice but not necesary
> >
> > Penny
>
> JASC paint shop pro. A lot cheaper than adobe, but still has tons and
tons
> of features. - plus if you don't mind setting your computer clock back
every
> time you start it up, you can keep on using the full featured trial
version
> :)

Or you can get a trial version crack off the net.

> Or you can get a trial version crack off the net.

The "internet", eh?

On 2004-02-16, Penny S penned:
> drawing for fun, something in between Paint and Adobe Illustrator... any ideas? Freeware/shareware
> would be nice but not necesary
>
> Penny

If you have a linux box available, the gimp would fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.gimp.org/

"GNU Image Manipulation Program"

--
monique

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> drawing for fun, something in between Paint and Adobe Illustrator... any ideas? Freeware/shareware
> would be nice but not necesary
>
> Penny

I've tried zillions of image manipulation programs. Free and paid.

My recs, in this order: PaintShop Pro Adobe Elements GIMP

PaintShop Pro is quite good...maybe 90% of Photoshop. Many, many tutorials online. Trialware at
www.jasc.com Adobe Elements is evidently a cutdown version of Photoshop. I've not used it, but
supposedly it's good.

The last is free/OS, but weird/different. Takes some getting used to. There is a Windows version.
www.gimp.org

Pete

> I was going to say the same thing.
> http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/. Well worth the $79 I use
mine
> all the time.
>
> Matt

Yes, PSP is the one I use, too. Another good option if you're looking for entertainment is Kai's
Power Goo & Fusion. You can stretch people's faces out or meld two photos together to make your
relatives even freakier than they already are. Hours of fun.

-John Morgan

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:39 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> If you have a linux box available, the gimp would fit the bill perfectly.
>
> http://www.gimp.org/

There's a version for Windows, too: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

I haven't tried it. Mostly use Paint Shop Pro or Ulead Photoimpact (which can be found for
around $10).

On 2004-02-16, BB penned:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:39 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> If you have a linux box available, the gimp would fit the bill perfectly.
>>
>> http://www.gimp.org/
>
> There's a version for Windows, too: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

Cool!

> I haven't tried it. Mostly use Paint Shop Pro or Ulead Photoimpact (which can be found for
> around $10).

If it's anything like the linux version (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be), it's good stuff.
Granted, though, the UI is quite a bit different than other image apps I've used.

--
monique

> MattB says:
>
> >I was going to say the same thing. http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/. Well worth the $79
> >I use mine all the time.
>
> Me, too. Tried Adobe and decided that it was just wrong for me. I keep Illustrator around so I can
> steal drawings from 'pdf files and stick 'em
into
> autoCAD (equipment brochures, mainly), but that is as far as I go with
Adobe.
> PSP, definitely.

Have you tried 'Eye Candy 4000', or 'Xenofex'? Very cool filters that works in PSP.

You can grab them both here: http://64.65.56.27/~fosi/

Just ignore those pr0n ads.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:39 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

>> drawing for fun,

> http://www.gimp.org/
>
> "GNU Image Manipulation Program"

The gimp isnt that great for creating work. More for manipulating images. As the name suggests. If
your in windows then something like Adobe Fireworks may be good.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

mojo deluxe wrote:
> "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> Or you can get a trial version crack off the net.
>>
>> The "internet", eh?
>>
> Surfs up, eh?

C'mon! For a great product at $79 why steal it? They are a small company and work hard for what they
get. I say DON'T get the crack of the net and buy it if you like it after the trial is up!

Matt (also working for a small software company)

Matthew Paterson retorted :
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:39 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>>> drawing for fun,
>
>> http://www.gimp.org/
>>
>> "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
>
> The gimp isnt that great for creating work. More for manipulating images. As the name suggests. If
> your in windows then something like Adobe Fireworks may be good.

what the guys want to do is make "real" their hand drawn D&D maps, I s'pose Paint Shop Pro would be
good for this? Like I said, Illustrator is just "too much", and Photo Shop isn't really appropriate.

Penny

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:09:17 -0800, Penny S wrote:

> what the guys want to do is make "real" their hand drawn D&D maps, I s'pose Paint Shop Pro would
> be good for this? Like I said, Illustrator is just "too much", and Photo Shop isn't really
> appropriate.

My daughter uses PSP all the time to dress up her anime drawings. It seems to work well.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:09:17 -0800, Penny S wrote:

> what the guys want to do is make "real" their hand drawn D&D maps, I s'pose Paint Shop Pro would
> be good for this? Like I said, Illustrator is just "too much", and Photo Shop isn't really
> appropriate.

Then, yes, the gimp would be good for that. Or PSP, yes.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:09:17 -0800, Penny S wrote:

> Matthew Paterson retorted :

>>> http://www.gimp.org/
>>>
>>> "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
>>
>> The gimp isnt that great for creating work. More for manipulating images. As the name suggests.
>> If your in windows then something like Adobe Fireworks may be good.
>
> what the guys want to do is make "real" their hand drawn D&D maps, I s'pose Paint Shop Pro would
> be good for this? Like I said, Illustrator is just "too much", and Photo Shop isn't really
> appropriate.

Visio?

Or some el cheapo CAD app maybe. Something that can create and manipulate blocks/groups/shapes
(depending on the terminology).

Cheers Anton