very OT, need software suggestion

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Matthew Paterson retorted :

> >> http://www.gimp.org/
> >>
> >> "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
> >
> > The gimp isnt that great for creating work. More for manipulating images. As the name suggests.
> > If your in windows then something like Adobe Fireworks may be good.
>
> what the guys want to do is make "real" their hand drawn D&D maps, I
s'pose
> Paint Shop Pro would be good for this? Like I said, Illustrator is just "too much", and Photo Shop
> isn't really appropriate.

If that's the main purpose then you're looking at vector graphic manipulation (Illustrator,
Freehand, CAD stuff). You could do it with raster editors (photoshop, PSP, etc...) if you had to but
really they shouldn't be the first choice. Lines/curves vs pixels and gradients. I'm not immediately
aware of freeware/shareware vector software, but gimmie a bit and I'll take a quick look.

Of course I've made an assumption that these DnD maps are the 'graph-paper' type maps of 'dungeons'
and such and not geo-maps overlooking their kingdoms. :)

Peb0

> Penny

"Peb0" <[email protected]> wrote

> If that's the main purpose then you're looking at vector graphic manipulation (Illustrator,
> Freehand, CAD stuff). You could do it with
raster
> editors (photoshop, PSP, etc...) if you had to but really they shouldn't
be
> the first choice. Lines/curves vs pixels and gradients. I'm not immediately aware of
> freeware/shareware vector software, but
gimmie
> a bit and I'll take a quick look.

Here's one, if you're running recent MS software (WinXP or 2000)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.crispin/index.htm

Only tried it for a few mins, but seems OK for free.

Pete