Very simple home made wheel truing stand

Travis

Guest
For students, the very cheap, or just those who feel like making
something for fun, I designed and built a perfectly functional wheel
truing stand over the weekend in about two hours out of scrap wood from
my shed and about $10 worth of springs, wingnuts and bolts.

I'd looked online for designs of home made truing stands, but most
seemed to be overcomplicated and/or made from welded or machined metal.
I have neither the tools nor the time for metalwork, and I've got
plenty of old wood offcuts and some chipboard in my shed which I wanted
to use.

I don't have a digital camera, so you'll just have to see this in your
mind's eye from my description...

For the base I used a sheet of heavy chipboard I had laying around the
shed. MDF would have been fine, or an old sheet of melamime etc.

The wheel sits on the end of a U I made by joining two 40cm long and
one short piece of 2x4 pine. I made it wide enough to handle the back
wheel. Front wheels can be mounted in it also, you just need to use a
skewer from a back wheel and put spacers in. I wanted to make this as
simple but effective as possible, so decided against making it
adjustable to the different sizes. Similarly, since I only ride road
bikes, I didn't need to make it fit BMX or mountain bike or child sized
tyres. So its nice and simple. If I ever want to make a mountain bike
stand, I'll either spend $100 on a commercial stand, or another $10
making a second home made one...

The skewer ends sit in a groove I made by first drilling almost all the
way through the 2x4 with a 19mm spade bit and then drilled the rest of
the way with a 4mm drill bit. I cut right through the middle of this
hole, creating a perfectly shaped recess which holds the wheel securely
enough.

Lateral trueness is checked with feelers I made from spring loaded
bolts. I bought some 10cm long bolts with round ends from Bunnings. I
put a hex nut about half way along the bolt, then a washer, then a
compression spring, then another washer, then it passed through the
wood it was mounted on, then another washer, then a wingnut.
Tightening the wingnut compresses the spring, pulling the round bolt
ends away from the wheel. Loosening it lets it expand inwards. Large
adjustments are possible by repositioning the hex nut.

These bolts are mounted on another U I made out of thinner wood, which
was made of appropriate dimensions and placed in an appropriate place
for the feeler bolts to scrape the braking area of the rim at about a
45 degree angle to horizontal.

A third such spring loaded bolt was mounted on a vertical piece of wood
and positioned to touch the edge of the rim at 90 degrees (when fully
extended, otherwise it can be pulled right back out of the way with a
hex nut adjustment) to check radial trueness.

Total cost was a couple of hours of time on a saturday morning, bolts
were 3 x 55c, 9 washers were 6c each, wingnuts were $3 for a pack of 6,
springs were $5 for two and I had a third one laying around anyway, and
scrap wood from the shed plus screws and glue. My design only used 90
degree cuts, required minimal skill to make and only basic tools.

The nut and spring system allow quick but highly precise extension or
retraction of the bolts over a wide range. I was able to true the
wheel to a very high degree of precision, spinning it on its mount with
barely any light between the rim and the bolts and no scraping. I
can't see what advantages in either precision or speed would be offered
by an expensive commercial one.

I hope this description is useful to someone...

Travis

That's timely, Travis - I've just been mounting the wheel on my bike
and using the forks and brakes as guides, but have been thinking about
a trueing stand. Could you post a few pics?

Donga

Travis wrote:
> For students, the very cheap, or just those who feel like making
> something for fun, I designed and built a perfectly functional wheel
> truing stand over the weekend in about two hours out of scrap wood
> from my shed and about $10 worth of springs, wingnuts and bolts.

Sounds like you had fun. I made mine in five minutes from and old front
fork. Not hi-tech, but it works for me.

Theo

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:43:49 +0900
Theo Bekkers <[email protected]> wrote:
> Travis wrote:
>> For students, the very cheap, or just those who feel like making
>> something for fun, I designed and built a perfectly functional wheel
>> truing stand over the weekend in about two hours out of scrap wood
>> from my shed and about $10 worth of springs, wingnuts and bolts.

> Sounds like you had fun. I made mine in five minutes from and old front
> fork. Not hi-tech, but it works for me.

But doesn't it have to be a carbon fork if you are using aero wheels?

Zebee

Donga wrote:
> That's timely, Travis - I've just been mounting the wheel on my bike
> and using the forks and brakes as guides, but have been thinking about
> a trueing stand. Could you post a few pics?

I've asked Santa for a digital camera for Christmas, we'll see what
happens. Until then though you'll have to make do with my description!

It is basically a piece of chipboard with 5 pieces of wood sticking out
of it at right angles.

Two heavy pieces, approx 40cm long, which have been screwed onto a
horizontal piece of just the right width to space them enough to fit a
back wheel on it which I attached to the board via a single long screw.
(One screw only, thus giving it a rotational degree of freedom in case
I need to realign it, though I've done it up very tightly so it only
moves when I want it to. Now that its aligned, maybe I'll glue it.)

The only "clever" thing about the wheel holder was the way I used a
spade bit and drill bit to rout out a depression in the ends of the
wood which was the perfect size to hold a quick-release skewer.

The lateral bolts are held in place by thinner pieces of wood, again at
right angles to the base, which hold the bolts at just the right
position to touch the braking part of the rim, at about 45 degrees to
vertical. Its just a simple spring-loaded bolt adjustable with a
wingnut.

And the radial bolt is the same, just a piece of wood sticking out of
the board, which I secured by screwing it to a short 4x2 offcut which I
screwed to the base. The riser on this its longer than the lateral
bolt holders so it hits the rim perpendicularly.

If you can picture a board with five pieces of wood sticking out of it
at right angles, you've got the idea!

Travis

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Travis wrote:
>> For students, the very cheap, or just those who feel like making
>> something for fun, I designed and built a perfectly functional wheel
>> truing stand over the weekend in about two hours out of scrap wood
>> from my shed and about $10 worth of springs, wingnuts and bolts.

> Sounds like you had fun. I made mine in five minutes from and old front
> fork. Not hi-tech, but it works for me.
>
> Theo

How do you manage rear wheels?

Resound wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>> Sounds like you had fun. I made mine in five minutes from and old
>> front fork. Not hi-tech, but it works for me.

> How do you manage rear wheels?

It's a very cheap old fork. It spreads easily. :)
I just put the fork in the vice and I have a dial gauge on a magnetic mount
which I stick to the bench next to the vice. I suppose you could cut the
rear end out of some junk to do rear wheels, but hey, it's not really rocket
science, is it?
OK, the dial guage and mount would add to the cost somewhat, but I've had
that for 35 years.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Resound wrote:
>
>>"Theo Bekkers" wrote

>>>Sounds like you had fun. I made mine in five minutes from and old
>>>front fork. Not hi-tech, but it works for me.

>>How do you manage rear wheels?

> It's a very cheap old fork. It spreads easily. :)
> I just put the fork in the vice and I have a dial gauge on a magnetic mount

Wow, high tech.
I just use the thumb method.
One day I might drill a hole and braxe a nut for an adjustable bolt.