Very strange noise coming from an apparently healthy bike.

bobbynopedals

Jul 28, 2013
Video link - http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=15s5w1f&s=5

I had the girlfriends bike in the garage last night just to give the brakes and gears a little tune up (couple of small adjustments and a bit of oil on the chain and all was ok)

Riding it round to the front today it was making the noise you hear in the video, although please note, as pleased as I am with the way the video captured the noise so clearly, the noise is much louder in the video than it seems to the ear.

If you touch the metal frame while riding when its making the noise you can feel the noise/vibrations *very* strongly.

I have never had the BB apart, but it seems to be absolutely perfect, no play whatsoever in the crank, feels really tight and smooth still when pedalling backwards.

There is no gritty-bitty-crunchy sound or feel of a shattered bearing.

If I had to guess, I'd say the noise is coming from the BB area, but it really sounds like it is coming from the whole bike.

I've checked the derailures and they are not touching or catching anything.

Any ideas what to check?

Should I have the BB out and check it out?

edit: forgot to add... this is the bike http://www.avocetsports.com/VIKING08/verona.html

Are you sure the left crank isn't hitting the end of the front shift cable?

I checked the pedals were tight, and they look/feel ok. is there anything else to check a pedal for?

I will take a look at the cable, I don't think the noise sounds like cable hitting something though (although it kind of does in the video)

Thanks for the advice, I will report back later on.

Is the noise there only when the crank is turning? If so, that's a clue at least.

Anything on your shoes hitting the bike? I had that problem on my commuting bike - I don't use clipless on that one. Check for debris in / on the tires perhaps. I had some tape stuck to my rear tire that made a hell of a noise a few weeks back.

Haven't had a chance to look at it again yet, but to clarify a couple bits...

The noise only seems to happen when pedalling forward, and gets louder if you pedal/push harder.

Definitely not anything to do with me or my shoes, ive had her ride it in circles round me and it does the same for her (although quieter as she pedals lighter)

Ill be out in the garage soon to investigate a bit more.

Suggest you try to reproduce the noise while in your garage. Put weight on a pedal with the bike's front wheel against a wall, to load the frame. Alternate pedals. Load the handlebars side-to-side, and the seat as well. You may find your noise results from the torqueing of the frame which occurs under pedaling loads. The creak could be due to movement in the BB, seat, seatpost, headset, stem, bars, wheel axles, etc, or a cracked frame or fork. Give it a good side-to-side loading while the bike is static and see what you hear.

Diagnosing noises is one of the most frustrating things in bicycle repair/maintenance. It's definitely a hollow sounding noise so to me it has to be something against the frame or inside the bottom bracket. But who knows? I suggest getting another set of ears working with you, preferably someone who works at a LBS. This one requires experience.

okay, here is the latest...

I've tried removing, swapping, and greasing the pedals and the seat post[including the little alan key bolt clamp] also tried loosening and tightening the bolts for pretty much everything attached to the frame. None of it made any difference at all.

Had a couple of friends round and we went out back and tried all the loading, twisting and pushing we could think of, as well as all of us riding it round and round, which didn't really tell us anything, but, the noise has got a bit louder[I think] and it now makes the noise when back pedalling, but no where near as bad as pedalling forward.

I'm starting to think it must be the BB and it has somehow failed in a way that it still seems perfect in every measureable way. I think I will wheel it down to the LBS today and see what expert ears say. and maybe pickup a new BB while I'm there.

I'll let you know how it goes.

edit: Forgot to add; the noise is much more frequent and loud when pushing down on the crank side pedal.

Sometimes. It could be the headset (steering bearings), the front hub or something else pertaining to the front wheel, or something utterly simple like the cables clacking against the frame or creaking because they're old and worn.

Does Your seat have springs in it like on those old fancy bikes.

Also it could be your seat deteriorating slowly ie a slow cracking

Headed to the LBS yesterday, but the lazy barstools had finished early. Never got a chance today, so it's going to be continued on monday.

Steering side to side doesn't affect it at all, neither does the seat (although it is one of those springy ones ive ridden it with the seat removed)

Only pedalling makes the noise. I even tried standing on the cross bar and teh down bar while riding/surfing around without it making a peep, just standing on the pedals whilst making sure not to move them doesnt make the noise either. (just going a little bit back and forth on the pedals can make the noise occasionally)

Since you mentioned the drive side crankarm makes the noise, I'm thinking maybe a loose/creaking crankarm is the source of the noise. Don't be surprised if the LBS pulls the crankarms and changes the BB bearings to solve the problem.

My bike has an ISIS crankset, and the spindle/crankarm splined joint has made the creaking noise two or three times over the last nine years. The fix was to pull the crankarms, recoat the splines carefully with Ti anti-seize (or grease) and re-install with full torque on the bolts. Actually since I tossed the OEM aluminum bolts in favor of steel maybe five years ago, all has been quiet.

Now that sounds like an idea with meat on it I'm tempted to head out there now and see if I can find my crank puller.