Very, very soggy.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by HUMBUG, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. HUMBUG

    HUMBUG Guest

    Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really enjoyed it...:)

    This morning I must've had a brain fart or something and decided to ride the
    Moulton thereby teaching myself _again_ why I use the Old Grey Bike for
    commuting when it's wet. Even though it's got good mudguards, the Moulton
    gives me cold and BLOODY wet feet.

    A good commuting day for me - actually most days are pretty good, today was
    a blast...:)

    --

    Humbug

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    HUMBUG wrote:
    > Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really enjoyed it...:)
    >
    > This morning I must've had a brain fart or something and decided to ride the
    > Moulton thereby teaching myself _again_ why I use the Old Grey Bike for
    > commuting when it's wet. Even though it's got good mudguards, the Moulton
    > gives me cold and BLOODY wet feet.
    >
    > A good commuting day for me - actually most days are pretty good, today was
    > a blast...:)

    Rain brings me insanity, insanity brings me happiness..

    hippy :)

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    HUMBUG wrote:
    > Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really enjoyed it...:)
    >
    > This morning I must've had a brain fart or something and decided to ride the
    > Moulton thereby teaching myself _again_ why I use the Old Grey Bike for
    > commuting when it's wet. Even though it's got good mudguards, the Moulton
    > gives me cold and BLOODY wet feet.
    >
    > A good commuting day for me - actually most days are pretty good, today was
    > a blast...:)

    How's this for insanity, I commuted today and could have just worked
    from home but felt like a ride. Pouring rain, howling winds, floods,
    coldest Feb day on record and brake failure on the way home. Summertime
    commuting in Melbourne, IIIIIIIII LUV IT!!!!!

    DaveB "brain slightly waterlogged"

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "HUMBUG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really enjoyed

    it...:)

    > This morning I must've had a brain fart or something and decided to ride

    the
    > Moulton thereby teaching myself _again_ why I use the Old Grey Bike for
    > commuting when it's wet. Even though it's got good mudguards, the Moulton
    > gives me cold and BLOODY wet feet.
    >
    > A good commuting day for me - actually most days are pretty good, today

    was
    > a blast...:)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Humbug

    Soggy insanity does have a certain something. I think there's the element of
    watching everyone else scurry about while you don't give a toss.

    "Haha...*I* don't melt in the rain, puny mortals. Witness how I sneer at the
    elements!"

    That sort of thing. Much better than the heat and howling wind yesterday,
    anyway.

  5. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    glad to know i'm not the only one... :D

    it is great to be out there and realise that, yes, it is only water and that doesn't hurt you, blasting through puddles and having a great old time while everyone else huddles in their cages.

    the only catch being that driver behaviour goes from bad to worse...

  6. HUMBUG

    HUMBUG Guest

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:17:02 +1100, Resound <[email protected]> Wrote :

    <snip>

    > Soggy insanity does have a certain something. I think there's the element of
    > watching everyone else scurry about while you don't give a toss.
    >
    > "Haha...*I* don't melt in the rain, puny mortals. Witness how I sneer at the
    > elements!"

    I like the number of people who ask "didn't you get wet?" I just tell 'em
    it's only water and that it washes off in the shower...:)

    > That sort of thing. Much better than the heat and howling wind yesterday,
    > anyway.

    Yesterday, after battling a howling headwind on the way out I was rather
    looking forward to "Battling(tm)" a TAILWIND on the way home. Oh well,
    such is the lot of the commuting cyclist. I've had a couple of TAILWINDS
    home this summer...:)

    --

    Humbug

  7. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "HUMBUG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really enjoyed

    it...:)

    > This morning I must've had a brain fart or something and decided to ride

    the
    > Moulton thereby teaching myself _again_ why I use the Old Grey Bike for
    > commuting when it's wet. Even though it's got good mudguards, the Moulton
    > gives me cold and BLOODY wet feet.
    >
    > A good commuting day for me - actually most days are pretty good, today

    was
    > a blast...:)
    >
    > Humbug

    I rode the road bike today hoping that it might fine up so that I could ride
    the Kew Crit tonight. Of course it poured all day and I got saturated
    riding home with no mudguards. I hosed the bike down when I got home and
    then after a shower I went and dried it all off and oiled the chain. I took
    my underseat tool bag off and it was full of water up to the line of the
    zip!! My two tubes, levers, alan keys, and spoke key are now drying on the
    workbench.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  8. "eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > glad to know i'm not the only one... :D
    >
    > it is great to be out there and realise that, yes, it is only water and
    > that doesn't hurt you, blasting through puddles and having a great old
    > time while everyone else huddles in their cages.
    >
    > the only catch being that driver behaviour goes from bad to worse...

    you can say that again. I wimped out big time (slept in, running late,
    slight sniffle, all the usual excuses) and drove. It took twenty minutes
    just to get out of town. People were blocking intersections, lots of horn
    playing, traffic lights not working. And cyclists just rode on past. No
    excuses for me tomorrow.

  9. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    wussed out & train-ed it for me.
    Serves me right s'pose, 1x train cancelled in & 1x delayed big time back home.

    I don't mind riding in the wet conditions as such, but the dramas in getting stuff dry [clean] for the next day is too much.
    Last time I cleaned (and properly lubed) the commuter was way before daylight savings for me.

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I've got dodgy theory regarding the weather- it's raining that hard the raindrops are bouncing off the ground, back up, then down again, back up, then down again....

  11. >>>>> "humbug" == humbug <[email protected]> writes:

    humbug> Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really
    humbug> enjoyed it...:)

    I'm with you. There's something about cycling in the rain that reminds
    you that you're alive. Without getting all woo woo, it's good to
    experience stuff instead of viewing it through a window.

    About the only part I don't like is putting wet gear on for the return
    ride. That's just yucky.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > I rode the road bike today hoping that it might fine up so that I could ride
    > the Kew Crit tonight. Of course it poured all day and I got saturated
    > riding home with no mudguards. I hosed the bike down when I got home and
    > then after a shower I went and dried it all off and oiled the chain. I took
    > my underseat tool bag off and it was full of water up to the line of the
    > zip!! My two tubes, levers, alan keys, and spoke key are now drying on the
    > workbench.

    What about some clip-on guards?

    <sits back and waits for the tourers to pipe up about how anything less
    than FULL guards is a waste of time>

    I occasionally use a rat-tail rear guard on the roadie just to keep the
    spray off my seat/arse.

    hippy

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 at 07:08 GMT, DaveB (aka Bruce)
    > How's this for insanity, I commuted today and could have just worked
    > from home but felt like a ride. Pouring rain, howling winds, floods,
    > coldest Feb day on record and brake failure on the way home. Summertime
    > commuting in Melbourne, IIIIIIIII LUV IT!!!!!

    I took the train yesterday morning (but still had to get to the
    station, naturally), because I don't like being wet and cold at
    work. But I decided to ride home. That wind wasn't so nice. But the
    ride was cool. It was only 12 degrees.

    Gardiner's Ck sure was flowing this morning.

    > DaveB "brain slightly waterlogged"

    And my computer too.

    On a related note, my panniers sure are waterproof. To the extent,
    that when I put a full bidon in it a couple of days ago, the innards
    got entirely soaked for a second time, and there was no way for the
    water to get out. You'd think I'd learn? Well, this time, my paperwork
    didn't survive. The Shiny! catalogue I was looking through was a solid
    block of paper this morning, after it all dried. And I have lost a
    whole bunch of phone numbers of really good looking bike riders. :) Or
    not.

    Look - a diversion! It's shiny! -- Daniel Stone

  14. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 at 07:51 GMT, eddiec (aka Bruce)

    > glad to know i'm not the only one... :D
    >
    > it is great to be out there and realise that, yes, it is only water and
    > that doesn't hurt you, blasting through puddles and having a great old
    > time while everyone else huddles in their cages.

    Oh no! It's a drop of rain! I must park right in front of the shop
    door, or else I might melt!!!!!11!11111111!

    > the only catch being that driver behaviour goes from bad to worse...

    It's not just my imagination, that they speed up, isn't it?

    "32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on top of an
    8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a
    2-bit company who cannot stand 1 bit of competition." --unk

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 at 13:15 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > Gags wrote:
    >> I rode the road bike today hoping that it might fine up so that I could ride
    >> the Kew Crit tonight. Of course it poured all day and I got saturated
    >> riding home with no mudguards. I hosed the bike down when I got home and
    >> then after a shower I went and dried it all off and oiled the chain. I took
    >> my underseat tool bag off and it was full of water up to the line of the
    >> zip!! My two tubes, levers, alan keys, and spoke key are now drying on the
    >> workbench.

    > What about some clip-on guards?
    >
    > <sits back and waits for the tourers to pipe up about how anything less
    > than FULL guards is a waste of time>

    Anything less than FULL mudguards is a waste of time.

    Also, when the tent is over the top of the rack, it blocks the
    side-spray. I think the front and rear panniers block some too. Make
    sure you go for the heavy waterproof panniers so your replacement
    clothes don't get wet!

    Chairman: I'm glad to see so many bright-eyed and bushy-tailed people
    here at this time of the morning.
    From the audience: Actually, most of us are rabid. -- From an astro talk

  16. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 at 11:17 GMT, [email protected] (aka Bruce)

    > humbug> Damn soggy today - both ways. And for some reason I really
    > humbug> enjoyed it...:)
    >
    > I'm with you. There's something about cycling in the rain that reminds
    > you that you're alive. Without getting all woo woo, it's good to
    > experience stuff instead of viewing it through a window.

    I saw a lot more of my ex gf when it was raining - I just didn't
    bother going home. That and the fact that our first walk together was
    in typical Katoomba weather (at midnight, mind you) -- I guess I've
    been conditioned to loving the rain. And we get entirely too little of
    it.

    When was the last time it actually rained on my way to work? The rain
    stopped coming in about November, but it seems a lot longer than that
    since I was riding wet.

    > Bugger you guys.
    > The babelfish is idempotent on the set above.

    I'm afraid that isn't a very good pickup line either, Tim. - MaryG

  17. Johnny O-R

    Johnny O-R New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2004
    At least it makes a change from being wet with sweat - particularly if you're downwind...

  18. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 at 02:52 GMT, Johnny O-R (aka Bruce)
    > HUMBUG Wrote:
    >> A good commuting day for me - actually most days are pretty good, today
    >> was
    >> a blast...:)

    > HumbugAt least it makes a change from being wet with sweat - particularly if
    > you're downwind...

    Bloody people who don't use mudguards, and who splash me as I ride
    behind. :)

    An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.

  19. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > glad to know i'm not the only one... :D
    >
    > it is great to be out there and realise that, yes, it is only water and
    > that doesn't hurt you, blasting through puddles and having a great old
    > time while everyone else huddles in their cages.
    >
    > the only catch being that driver behaviour goes from bad to worse...
    >

    > --
    > eddiec

    Yesterday traffic along St. Kilda Rd at 9am was gridlock most of the way.
    Despite the carpet of leaves, twigs, branches and fallen trees on the side
    of the road under my wheels it was nice cruising past thousands of 'parked'
    cars which wouldn't get to where they were going (only a couple or so km
    away) for another hour at least.

    Henry.

  20. Oscar

    Oscar Guest

    hemyd wrote:
    > "eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>glad to know i'm not the only one... :D
    >>
    >>it is great to be out there and realise that, yes, it is only water and
    >>that doesn't hurt you, blasting through puddles and having a great old
    >>time while everyone else huddles in their cages.
    >>
    >>the only catch being that driver behaviour goes from bad to worse...
    >>

    >>--
    >>eddiec
    >>

    > Yesterday traffic along St. Kilda Rd at 9am was gridlock most of the way.
    > Despite the carpet of leaves, twigs, branches and fallen trees on the side
    > of the road under my wheels it was nice cruising past thousands of 'parked'
    > cars which wouldn't get to where they were going (only a couple or so km
    > away) for another hour at least.
    >
    > Henry.

    Got up to 39.7 degrees here. Went for a swim instead.

    Ozcar