Veteran cycle run

Nigel Cliffe

Guest
I had an enjoyable day out in Suffolk with the veteran cycle owners.

I had been asked to help marshall their ride by standing at a couple of the
more tricky junctions and signal to the riders whether it was safe to
proceed. Having tried to pick up a couple of the old machines, some of the
trikes were coming in at well over 70lbs, I can see why stopping and
restarting is a serious hassle.
There were well over a hundred machines on the ride.
Some of the older and heavier machines were seriously hard work, a 13 mile
trip with two intermediate stops looked to be similar effort to 70 miles
plus on a modern bike (try riding a 50lb+ bike with wooden wheels, steel
tyres...).

I thoroughly enjoyed my day out.

A few photographs are here:
http://nigelcliffe.photobook.org.uk/c1361556.html

Sorry for the lack of the customary kitchen items and also the quality of
some of the pictures; I've really not got the hang of the digital compact
camera and still feel a lot more at home with my old film rangefinder.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Dan Gregory wrote:
> [email protected]m wrote:
>> In message <[email protected]>
>> "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I had an enjoyable day out in Suffolk with the veteran cycle owners.

>> Thanks for telling us about it!
>>

> The Pedersen looks stunning! Thanks..

There were at least three Pedersen's; I think I've got pictures of two.
One was very shiny, arguably over-restored, Pedersen gearbox on rear axle.
One a modest amount of restoration, Sturmey rear hub.
And the other (another Pedersen gearbox) looked like it had not had much
more than maintenance during its entire life.