Veterans Nationals Bachas Marsh Victoria.

matt1

Oct 3, 2004
Hi all I am heading over for these and was wondering if anybody has any knowledge of the course that is going to be used for the road race. The profile looks quite hilly. I am particularly interested in the length of the climbs and gradient etc.

Matt, have you got any more info on where the course actually is (website etc?) coz then there is more chance of people knowing what to tell you.

1) G'day I haven't ridden the exact course but I have raced different circuits involving the same roads. Basically the climbs are short, longest would be 600m or so, but most of them have enough rise to be perfect for the attacks, but it's not the kind of course where a climber will just float away. Just know when the hills are comign and get towards the front.

2) It WILL be windy, I promise you!

3) And the roads are very dead, honestly I think it's a sh!thouse place for a nationals week.

Jono L said:
1) G'day I haven't ridden the exact course but I have raced different circuits involving the same roads. Basically the climbs are short, longest would be 600m or so, but most of them have enough rise to be perfect for the attacks, but it's not the kind of course where a climber will just float away. Just know when the hills are comign and get towards the front.

2) It WILL be windy, I promise you!

3) And the roads are very dead, honestly I think it's a sh!thouse place for a nationals week.

Agree with Jono...except the roads aren't dead....they've been mummified!....can't think of a worse course, its out & back, the only hill is Granite hill just after Balliang....you climb it, descend, then turn around & reclimb it on the return leg......shpulda had them at lancefield again

Hitchy said:
Agree with Jono...except the roads aren't dead....they've been mummified!....can't think of a worse course, its out & back, the only hill is Granite hill just after Balliang....you climb it, descend, then turn around & reclimb it on the return leg......shpulda had them at lancefield again
Or
RR- Lang Lang
TT- Steels creek
Crit- Casey Fields

Duh too easy.

Hitchy said:
Not as bad as the northern combine race one day where there weren't enough corner marshalls! The answer? Take the gravel road directly back to baliang!! Was a lot of fun, but there were a lot of punctures, includig me:(

Jono L said:
Not as bad as the northern combine race one day where there weren't enough corner marshalls! The answer? Take the gravel road directly back to baliang!! Was a lot of fun, but there were a lot of punctures, includig me:(

ya big girl!......only about 4 blokes came off on the corner where the bitumen met the gravel....& the gravel was only loose for the 1st 6 inches deep...dunno what was wurrying ya...bunch of sookie sookie la la's you blokes

Hey, it was fun... But if I'd a known beforehand I would have brought my old clunker wheels so I could really enjoy myself!

So it sounds like you guys are recommending a SoftRide with 72spoke wheels and solid tyres. :eek:

Thanks for the info guys, How far is Bachas Marsh from Melbourne? Is it possible to stay in the city and commute out each day? What sort of time would the trip take or is it worth staying out there?

matt1 said:
Thanks for the info guys, How far is Bachas Marsh from Melbourne? Is it possible to stay in the city and commute out each day? What sort of time would the trip take or is it worth staying out there?

40 ish mins from the city via Fwy.....