Vetta V100A wireless computer - anyone know

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Retired Coal Mi, May 17, 2003.

  1. Vetta V100A wireless altimeter:

    Can someone tell me if this computer's transponder is mountable on the front shock (Manitou SX) of a
    mountain bike?

    Are there any better wireless computers for mtb's out there? I'm specifically looking for wireless
    with an altimeter and temp readouts.

    Tags:

  2. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Retired coal miner <unlisted> wrote in message news:[email protected]mcast.com...
    > Vetta V100A wireless altimeter:
    >
    > Can someone tell me if this computer's transponder is mountable on the
    front
    > shock (Manitou SX) of a mountain bike?
    >
    > Are there any better wireless computers for mtb's out there? I'm specifically looking for wireless
    > with an altimeter and temp readouts.

    Think cateye had a model with alt on it but no temp. Avocet had a temp,alt and compass watch but no
    speedo for bike.

  3. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "Retired coal miner" <unlisted> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Vetta V100A wireless altimeter:
    >
    > Can someone tell me if this computer's transponder is mountable on the front shock (Manitou SX) of
    > a mountain bike?

    The Vetta Transmitters are usually just held on with zip-ties. You shouldn't have a problem
    mounting it.

    > Are there any better wireless computers for mtb's out there? I'm specifically looking for wireless
    > with an altimeter and temp readouts.

    I don't believe that any major manufacturer produces an MTB specific wireless computer. Cateye does
    produce wireless (without Temp or alt), an altimeter version(wired), and an ATB model (heavy wire no
    alt). Avocet, at one time, produced an altimeter/cycle computer (the 50), but they had problems with
    the case design and resulting chip failures. Vetta might be your only choice if you want altimeter,
    temp, and wireless.

  4. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Retired coal miner <unlisted> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Vetta V100A wireless altimeter:
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me if this computer's transponder is mountable on the
    > front
    > > shock (Manitou SX) of a mountain bike?
    > >
    > > Are there any better wireless computers for mtb's out there? I'm specifically looking for
    > > wireless with an altimeter and temp readouts.
    > >
    > Think cateye had a model with alt on it but no temp.

    Most of the "public consumption" altimeters will have temperature (since the altimeter needs
    to correct for changes in temperature). The Cateye has a temp function, but it is not a
    wireless computer.

    > Avocet had a temp,alt and compass watch but no speedo for bike.

    Neither the Vertech or the VertechII have ever had a compass function. The Vertech "wrist
    instrument" has altitude (and cumulative), temperature, barometer, and watch functions. It was
    never really intended for the bicycle industry, the Hoffacker's tend to ski more than they ride
    these days.