Vibrating Kurt Kinetic?

netscriber

Dec 30, 2005
Hi all,
I just bought a road machine and received it today. Nicely built. However upon riding I am getting a weird vibration through the resistance unit. I have made sure that the unit is properly mounted, tire pressure is correct and the knob is tightened 2 turns.
If I look at the axle/roller from the top it seems to be misaligned and wobbly.

Has anyone experienced this before? :(

Thanks

netscriber said:
Hi all,
I just bought a road machine and received it today. Nicely built. However upon riding I am getting a weird vibration through the resistance unit. I have made sure that the unit is properly mounted, tire pressure is correct and the knob is tightened 2 turns.
If I look at the axle/roller from the top it seems to be misaligned and wobbly.

Has anyone experienced this before? :(

Thanks
I have put about 500 miles on a Kurt Kinetic since January and have not had this problem. What type of tire are you using? Could your rear wheel be out of true? I suppose it is possible that you have a bad unit. Does the flywheel turn smoothly when the tire is not in contact with the roller? Do you experience vibration if you pedal the bike mounted to the unit when the tire is not in contact with the roller?

RickF said:
I have put about 500 miles on a Kurt Kinetic since January and have not had this problem. What type of tire are you using? Could your rear wheel be out of true? I suppose it is possible that you have a bad unit. Does the flywheel turn smoothly when the tire is not in contact with the roller? Do you experience vibration if you pedal the bike mounted to the unit when the tire is not in contact with the roller?
When I move the roller without tire contact it looks a little wobbly to the eye. It is not completely true. No, I do not get vibration if I ride the bike mouted without tire contact. :(

netscriber said:
When I move the roller without tire contact it looks a little wobbly to the eye. It is not completely true. No, I do not get vibration if I ride the bike mouted without tire contact. :(
Then I would think that if you bought it new, it would be covered under waranty. I an not aware of any Kurt Kinetic trainers doing that.

RickF said:
Then I would think that if you bought it new, it would be covered under waranty. I an not aware of any Kurt Kinetic trainers doing that.
This is the second Ive heard of this in a few years (and I know a bunch of people that have/abuse them). Call em up, and have them send you a new resistance unit. Mine is smoooooooth as butta!:D

For a semi conclusion to this thread. I called KK and they are sending me a new resistance unit. I will post an update as soon as I get it. :)

netscriber said:
For a semi conclusion to this thread. I called KK and they are sending me a new resistance unit. I will post an update as soon as I get it. :)
How much vibration are you talking about? Some will be normal, especially if youre churning the big gears, but not a whole lot.

cucamelsmd15 said:
How much vibration are you talking about? Some will be normal, especially if youre churning the big gears, but not a whole lot.
Oh no, I was using 39/25's. And I have used trainers for years, so I know this was just wrong. Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced it with KKs.