vibrating rear wheel

sydmeg1012

Apr 27, 2004
I just put a set of Neuvation M28 Aeros on, and on the first ride I noticed that at a high cadence/speed or on inclines I'm getting some pretty bad vibrations from the rear wheel. It's true and no broken or loose spokes...I can't pinpoint the cause. I remounted it twice with the same result. The only thing I can think of is that at 6' 200 lbs I might be heavy for these wheels but everything I've read about them says they should be fine for riders up to 220-230 lbs. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this vibration?

I'd say it's probably one of two things: 1) Flip your bike over and tug the rim side to side to see if there's any play in the hub. 2) Your wheel is out of true.

Hope you find the cause.

- Ojuice

ojuice said:
I'd say it's probably one of two things: 1) Flip your bike over and tug the rim side to side to see if there's any play in the hub. 2) Your wheel is out of true.

Hope you find the cause.

- Ojuice
Another possible cause would be if the wheel is not round, even if it is true from side to side. One easy way to check: put a strip of masking tape horizontally across the brake such that the tire just clears the tape. Then spin the wheel slowly and see if the wheel makes contact with the tape.

Thanks for your replies....it ended up being a rub on a reflector mount under the brake caliper. When the wheels spun up the centrifugal force was pushing the tire into it, which is why I couldn't notice any rub unless I was actually riding at a decent speed. I bent it up slightly and the vibe is gone!