Vibration on new bike

The 13th Man

Guest
Had my bike for 3 weeks now, it is an urban-hybrid 24-speed MTB. I seem to feel a vibration when
using the higher gears (ie the last 3 cogs on the freewheel) when using the outer cog on the
chain-wheel. Is this normal? I appreciate that you can't strictly use all 24 speeds (ie 8x3
combinations) due to the way that it stretches the chain, but I can't understand why I should feel
this vibration on the last 3 cogs whilst using the outer cog on the chainwheel.

It's due for it's first month's service next week - is this likely to be ironed out then?

The 13th Man wrote:
> Had my bike for 3 weeks now, it is an urban-hybrid 24-speed MTB. I seem to feel a vibration when
> using the higher gears (ie the last 3 cogs on the freewheel) when using the outer cog on the
> chain-wheel.

(The smallest three cogs, I take it)

> Is this normal?

Not with all bikes, but I have felt a certain amount of this "vibration" in the top gears of a
mountain bike with a 42 outer chainring and a cassette with an 11 tooth top cog. Smaller sprockets
like these are less efficient than those on a traditional road bike. You may just be noticing the
different feel of this modern bike, if like me, you have been used to very different gears.

> It's due for it's first month's service next week - is this likely to be ironed out then?

Nothing can be done about it in a simple service unless there's some obvious rubbing somewhere. A
different bottom bracket may help if the angle of the chain is bad, but it's unlikely that the bike
had an inappropriate one fitted in the first place.

A different brand of chain might possibly mate with the sprocket teeth better and work more
smoothly, or the existing chain and cogs may "bed in" somewhat after a few hundred miles. But unless
chronic, I would just live with it.

~PB

In message <[email protected]>, The 13th Man
<[email protected]> writes
>Had my bike for 3 weeks now, it is an urban-hybrid 24-speed MTB. I seem to feel a vibration when
>using the higher gears (ie the last 3 cogs on the freewheel) when using the outer cog on the
>chain-wheel. Is this normal? I appreciate that you can't strictly use all 24 speeds (ie 8x3
>combinations) due to the way that it stretches the chain, but I can't understand why I should feel
>this vibration on the last 3 cogs whilst using the outer cog on the chainwheel.

I googled and found the following. Is this a description of your problem?

>From: Mike Jacoubowsky ([email protected]) Subject: Re: Vibration through pulleys - cannot see the
>problem...
>

>View this article only Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: 2002-04-18 16:18:05 PST
>

>Does this noise happen equally in all rear cogs? Could be that you're hearing (and feeling) chain
>rumble, which can sometimes be pronounced on the smaller cogs. Sometimes it's exacerbated by a
>klunky cassette mechanism, which can be found in wheels of the cheapest and most expensive
>variety. Most likely the pulleys aren't involved, since they engage the chain at a point of very
>low tension.
>
>Have you brought it into the shop and asked about it?
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com
>
>"George Waller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I have a slight but noticeable vibration through the chain when
>cycling
>> accompanied by a slightly more pronounced chain noise... considering
>I have
>> Ultegra spec (Shimano 600) bike with under 500 miles on it I do not
>feel
>> this is should be. You can almost feel the chain vibrations through
>the
>> pedals and this is why at first I thought it was contact with the
>front
>> derailleur but it isn't - besides it is a more subtle version of that
>front
>> derailleur chain friction you can get when it is slightly out of
>alignment.
>> Inspecting the pulleys shows no obvious misalignment, adjusting cable tension makes no
>> difference, the cage appears undamaged and is
>hanging
>> parallel with the rear sprockets... but the problem definitely seems
>to be
>> emanating from the pulley end - it seems that the problem is
>introduced at
>> that point. I recently cleaned the chain and there are no obvious
>signs of
>> wear - all the teeth on respective pulleys and sprockets seem
>perfect. When
>> pedalling the cycle manually whilst bike on work stand it simply does
>not
>> feel as smooth as it ought to. Any ideas?
>>
>> George
>>

>It's due for it's first month's service next week - is this likely to be ironed out then?

If it really is a problem I would expect them to sort it out for you on a new bike.
--
Michael MacClancy

"The 13th Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Had my bike for 3 weeks now, it is an urban-hybrid 24-speed MTB. I seem
> feel a vibration when using the higher gears (ie the last 3 cogs on the freewheel) when using the
> outer cog on the chain-wheel. Is this normal?
> appreciate that you can't strictly use all 24 speeds (ie 8x3 combinations) due to the way that it
> stretches the chain, but I can't understand why I should feel this vibration on the last 3 cogs
> whilst using the outer cog
on
> the chainwheel.
>
> It's due for it's first month's service next week - is this likely to be ironed out then?

My new bike was like that. I soon decided it wasn't something I could fix by tweaking and wasn't
really bad enough to worry about and it settled down after less than 100 miles.

Andy

Andy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "The 13th Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Had my bike for 3 weeks now, it is an urban-hybrid 24-speed MTB. I seem
> > feel a vibration when using the higher gears (ie the last 3 cogs on the freewheel) when using
> > the outer cog on the chain-wheel. Is this normal?
> > appreciate that you can't strictly use all 24 speeds (ie 8x3
combinations)
> > due to the way that it stretches the chain, but I can't understand why I should feel this
> > vibration on the last 3 cogs whilst using the outer cog
> on
> > the chainwheel.
> >
> > It's due for it's first month's service next week - is this likely to be ironed out then?
>
> My new bike was like that. I soon decided it wasn't something I could fix by tweaking and wasn't
> really bad enough to worry about and it settled
down
> after less than 100 miles.
>
> Andy

Could it be the chain rubbing on the bottom of the derailleur caused by an incorrectly set 'angle of
dangle' screw?

Probably not thinking about it, especially in the big ring when the derailleur is under more tension
from the chain. Oh well, I'm too tired to work this out tonight, sorry!!!!!!!!

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"