[VIC] Bike route help needed, Carlton->Albion

Andrew

Guest
Hi melb.bicycle,
I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
(Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)

Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?

Cheers,
AB

Not my neighbourhood but you could look in Bikely. http://www.bikely.com/

Andrew said:
Hi melb.bicycle,
I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
(Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)

Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?

Cheers,
AB

Street directory at the ready... on your marks, go!

- Get yourself on to the Footscray Rd path (off-road, very wide and flat)

- Continue straight at the end of Footscray Rd as it becomes Napier St, under the railway line, first exit off the roundabout immediately after the railway line (Buckley St). This is on-road, traffic can be a little heavy, but the road is wide enough for me.

- Continue straight, under Geelong Rd overpass and the road becomes Sunshine Rd. Fairly flat, 60 zone but often quite busy and bogan-related incidents high likelihood.

- Turn right at Anderson Rd. Similar to Sunshine Rd in riding conditions.

- Go whereever you want... you're in Albion.

I've made this trip several times to head west when I don't want to take Western Hwy. Funnily enough, Western Hwy isn't so bad after it widens to three lanes (after crossing Ashley St, Braybrook), but the section between Footscray and Ashley St is for experienced and confident riders. (again, imho)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Ritch

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi melb.bicycle,
> I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
> living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
> being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
> (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)
>
> Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
> doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
> bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?
>
> Cheers,
> AB

Carlton not too spendy huh? Oooookay...

If you're working in Sunshine and studying in Melbourne and you want not too
spendy, you'd probably be better off checking out somewhere like Footscray.

> Hi melb.bicycle,
> I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
> living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
> being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
> (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)
>
> Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
> doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
> bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?

This could have what you need... I've just updated it with my latest
tricks to avoid the traffic.

It runs in the opposite direction, but passes right through Melb uni /
Carlton.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sunshine-to-Collingwood

Andrew wrote:
> Hi melb.bicycle,
> I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
> living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
> being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
> (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)
>
> Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
> doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
> bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?
>
> Cheers,
> AB

Oh no, not Andrew Fixxie? Don't go!

Donga

Resound wrote:

> Carlton not too spendy huh? Oooookay...

I know, I know, shhh.

> If you're working in Sunshine and studying in Melbourne and you want not too
> spendy, you'd probably be better off checking out somewhere like Footscray.

I'll be working in Albion but my wife will be studying at Melb Uni.
Selling one car, keeping one, but I don't want to have to drive to work
if I can avoid it.

When I think 'Highway' I think 'Ipswich Motorway' with raging
hatefilled drivers who want to kill all cyclists just to get 1m further
forward. Perhaps things are different down there.

Don't worry Donga, I'll be back in 3 years. You might even have a fixie
by then.

Thanks for all the help so far,