[VIC] Bike route help needed, Carlton->Albion

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi melb.bicycle,
    I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
    living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
    being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
    (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)

    Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
    doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
    bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?

    Cheers,
    AB

    Tags:

  2. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003

    Not my neighbourhood but you could look in Bikely. http://www.bikely.com/

  3. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Street directory at the ready... on your marks, go!

    - Get yourself on to the Footscray Rd path (off-road, very wide and flat)

    - Continue straight at the end of Footscray Rd as it becomes Napier St, under the railway line, first exit off the roundabout immediately after the railway line (Buckley St). This is on-road, traffic can be a little heavy, but the road is wide enough for me.

    - Continue straight, under Geelong Rd overpass and the road becomes Sunshine Rd. Fairly flat, 60 zone but often quite busy and bogan-related incidents high likelihood.

    - Turn right at Anderson Rd. Similar to Sunshine Rd in riding conditions.

    - Go whereever you want... you're in Albion.

    I've made this trip several times to head west when I don't want to take Western Hwy. Funnily enough, Western Hwy isn't so bad after it widens to three lanes (after crossing Ashley St, Braybrook), but the section between Footscray and Ashley St is for experienced and confident riders. (again, imho)

    Hope it helps.

    Cheers,
    Ritch

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi melb.bicycle,
    > I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
    > living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
    > being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
    > (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)
    >
    > Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
    > doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
    > bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > AB

    Carlton not too spendy huh? Oooookay...

    If you're working in Sunshine and studying in Melbourne and you want not too
    spendy, you'd probably be better off checking out somewhere like Footscray.

  5. Jules

    Jules Guest

    > Hi melb.bicycle,
    > I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
    > living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
    > being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
    > (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)
    >
    > Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
    > doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
    > bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?

    This could have what you need... I've just updated it with my latest
    tricks to avoid the traffic.

    It runs in the opposite direction, but passes right through Melb uni /
    Carlton.

    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sunshine-to-Collingwood

  6. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Hi melb.bicycle,
    > I'm moving to Melbourne from Brisbane in January next year and will be
    > living somewhere around the Carlton area (close to Melb Uni without
    > being too spendy, other suggestions welcome) and working in Albion
    > (Carrington Drive...Sunshine perhaps, not Albion?)
    >
    > Whereis tells me to drive along the Princes and Western Hwy, but that
    > doesn't really sound like the sort of route I'd like to take. Does a
    > bike path/quiet road method of getting from A to B exist?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > AB

    Oh no, not Andrew Fixxie? Don't go!

    Donga

  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Resound wrote:

    > Carlton not too spendy huh? Oooookay...

    I know, I know, shhh.

    > If you're working in Sunshine and studying in Melbourne and you want not too
    > spendy, you'd probably be better off checking out somewhere like Footscray.

    I'll be working in Albion but my wife will be studying at Melb Uni.
    Selling one car, keeping one, but I don't want to have to drive to work
    if I can avoid it.

    When I think 'Highway' I think 'Ipswich Motorway' with raging
    hatefilled drivers who want to kill all cyclists just to get 1m further
    forward. Perhaps things are different down there.

    Don't worry Donga, I'll be back in 3 years. You might even have a fixie
    by then.

    Thanks for all the help so far,