[Vic] Sid Patterson Grand Prix

warrwych said:
Sounds like you had a good night out! You will understand what I was trying to say about DISC feeling a bit "soulless". Maybe that will come now they have named the velodrome :D

I find it a very sensory sport, track racing - the sounds, the smell of the wood etc. Worst sound is that thud when someone hits the deck, becuase you know its going to hurt and there is nothing they can do to stop that slide to the bottom.

The track isn't so steep once you get used to it, but I still don't like being at the top of those corners!

So, will you head off to Vodafone for the Austral SuzieB?
We have dinner planned for that night but I am sure there will be other events. :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
If you want more, NCC also have Track racing every thursday night at
DISC (until the venue closes for the Comm Games) starting at 7:30pm.
Spectator entry is free and you can either sit in the stands or mingle
out in the middle of the track with the riders and bikes. Usually the
Bistro is open if you are after a Beer (sorry no Goat).

There's also racing on Tuesday nights at 7pm as well but for some
reason this attracts fewer riders (maybe it's the popularity of the
Sandown Crit's). For the riders it's good as there is an all in 60 or
80 lap motorpace to finish off the night but for the spectator this
could be a little dull to watch.

warrwych wrote:

> Sounds like you had a good night out! You will understand what I was
> trying to say about DISC feeling a bit "soulless". Maybe that will come
> now they have named the velodrome :D

Now they've (Joe) named it after Joe ...

Venue wise VA is better but when you are talking about the track itself
DISC wins hands down.

Geoff said:
Venue wise VA is better but when you are talking about the track itself DISC wins hands down.

Yet to savour the delights of DISC, VA is a good venue, we were especially fond of the infield. I wish they'd installed swivel seats at the bar. :D The Austral (at VA) is a fantastic event with a great history
http://www.cyclistsinternational.com.au/up11051.htm

Wait until you see the Madison, haven't quite worked out what's going on but it's fuggin incrediable to watch!

cfsmtb wrote:
> Geoff Wrote:
> > Venue wise VA is better but when you are talking about the track itself
> > DISC wins hands down.

> Yet to savour the delights of DISC, VA is a good venue, we were
> especially fond of the infield. I wish they'd installed swivel seats at
> the bar. :D The Austral (at VA) is a fantastic event with a great
> history
> http://www.cyclistsinternational.com.au/up11051.htm
>
> Wait until you see the Madison, haven't quite worked out what's going
> on but it's fuggin incrediable to watch!

The madison is exactly the same as a points race, but riders swap in
and out.

the Bendigo madision is a bit of a must-see event. Last year's was a
superb show.

Anyone want to ride there with me to watch it? :) Last year I rode on
my own, which was ok, but it's good to do long miles with company...

>the Bendigo madision is a bit of a must-see event.

I second that. The Bendigo Madison is an awesome event with tons of
atmosphere. It seems like the whole town comes out to watch it.

I did some madison sling practice a few years ago and can really
appreciate how slick a seasoned madison team can make it look - it's
not easy. It's amazing how much momentum you gain from the sling and
how much you lose when you're the slinger. Factor into that the
ability to locate your partner to initiate the sling and then execute
it all whilst riding in a tight pack at 50+km/h is truely amazing.