Vic Sutton.

S

Simon Mason

Now then! If any proof was needed of how precious life is, my mother had been cycling to and from
the gym a only few weeks ago at the age of 70 and there she was, soon after, in hospital fighting
the big C. Anyway, the drugs seem to be working OK but I would like to share this unusual story. I
was at the hospital in my cycling gear one evening with my sister when I was telling my mother about
how Lance came back to win 5 T de Fs which started her talking about the cyclists of her day and the
good age that they lived to.

"Do you remember Vic Sutton?" she said. The name was strangely familiar, but from where I didn't
know. "He had that Jeweller's shop in Cottingham village". After finding out where it used to be
(it's now an estate agent), I realised that back in 1971, Vic Sutton had replaced the battery in my
Bulova electronic tuning fork watch that used to be advertised on the pirate ship Radio North Sea
International. I could just about dredge up a few grainy memories of the middle aged man who served
me over 30 years ago. This was Vic Sutton apparently.

Setting off into the night and after having been in that place, feeling extra lucky to be able to
do so, the name of Vic Sutton was still on my mind. I'd heard that name recently, but where?
Gradually the vague drunken memory of reading about him in the sauna started to surface, I was
convinced I'd read about him in a magazine. I don't really save them as such, but I throw them into
the garage loft space after reading them.

Fishing around later that week with a small torch, I found it. This profile of a bloke who finished
in the top 40 of the Tour de France, living down the road!

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsutton.htm

I tore the page out and rode to my see my mother who was now at home. Seeing his photo, her face lit
up, she was transported back to her 1950's youth. I told her he'd married a Shirley, like her and
she said that his widow is seen walking around he village even now. I'm so glad that I bought that
copy of Cycling Weekly, seeing her face like that was priceless.

Simon Mason Kingston upon Hull

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Now then! If any proof was needed of how precious life is, my mother had been cycling to and from
> the gym a only few weeks ago at the age of 70 and there she was, soon after, in hospital fighting
> the big C. Anyway, the drugs seem to be working OK but I would like to share this unusual story. I
> was at the hospital in my cycling gear one evening with my sister when I was telling my mother
> about how Lance came back to win 5 T de Fs which started her talking about the cyclists of her day
> and the good age that they lived to.
>
> "Do you remember Vic Sutton?" she said. The name was strangely familiar, but from where I didn't
> know. "He had that Jeweller's shop in Cottingham village". After finding out where it used to be
> (it's now an estate agent), I realised that back in 1971, Vic Sutton had replaced the battery in
> my Bulova electronic tuning fork watch that used to be advertised on the pirate ship Radio North
> Sea International. I could just about dredge up a few grainy memories of the middle aged man who
> served me over 30 years ago. This was Vic Sutton apparently.
>
> Setting off into the night and after having been in that place, feeling extra lucky to be able to
> do so, the name of Vic Sutton was still on my mind. I'd heard that name recently, but where?
> Gradually the vague drunken memory of reading about him in the sauna started to surface, I was
> convinced I'd read about him in a magazine. I don't really save them as such, but I throw them
> into the garage loft space after reading them.
>
> Fishing around later that week with a small torch, I found it. This profile of a bloke who
> finished in the top 40 of the Tour de France, living down the road!
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsutton.htm
>
> I tore the page out and rode to my see my mother who was now at home. Seeing his photo, her face
> lit up, she was transported back to her 1950's youth. I told her he'd married a Shirley, like her
> and she said that his widow is seen walking around he village even now. I'm so glad that I bought
> that copy of Cycling Weekly, seeing her face like that was priceless.
>
> Simon Mason Kingston upon Hull

Lovely story - and nice to have you back

Julia

Hello Simon. Nice story mate.

All the best to your mum.

--
Cheerful Peddling John Mallard

Simon Mason wrote: down the road!
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsutton.htm
>
> I tore the page out and rode to my see my mother who was now at home. Seeing his photo, her face
> lit up, she was transported back to her 1950's youth. I told her he'd married a Shirley, like her
> and she said that his widow is seen walking around he village even now. I'm so glad that I bought
> that copy of Cycling Weekly, seeing her face like that was priceless.
>
> Simon Mason Kingston upon Hull

Thats a nice story Simon, thanks for sharing it with us. Good to see you back here too.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

[email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Now then! If any proof was needed of how precious life is, my mother had been cycling to and from
> the gym a only few weeks ago at the age of 70 and there she was, soon after, in hospital fighting
> the big C. Anyway, the drugs seem to be working OK but I would like to share this unusual story.

Welcome back, Simon. My very best wishes to your mother.

> "Do you remember Vic Sutton?" she said.

Now there's a name from the past. Thanks for the story. How's the Raleigh Banana?

--
Dave...

"the Baker-Bealls" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >
> > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsutton.htm
> >
> > I tore the page out and rode to my see my mother who was now at home. Seeing his photo, her face
> > lit up, she was transported back to her 1950's youth. I told her he'd married a Shirley, like
> > her and she said that his widow is seen walking around he village even now. I'm so glad that I
> > bought that copy of Cycling Weekly, seeing her face like that was priceless.

> Lovely story - and nice to have you back

The last Tour de France brought me & my Mum closer together. My Mum & Dad were glued to the set due
to my "you won't believe it" phone calls. It's nice to hear cycling names bring back memories .....

This Tour is going to be the biggest ever. Can anyone please stream Eurosport on the internet? Oh,
and if you want a test, stream Newcastle on the 26th. :)

What are the bets on Lance to win? Is it too early yet?

[email protected] (Howard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Simon,
>
> See where Tony 'Jean Jourdan' Bell got his Vic Sutton info from...
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/riders/riders1.html
>
> The full lowdown on Vic's racing career. (All's fair though, I have borrowed one his is stories in
> exchange!)

Excellent Beryl Burton page too! I love this:

"In 1967 she famously set a new 12 hour time trail record of 277.25 miles, a time that beat the
existing men's record by 5.75 miles and saw Beryl catching the men's record holder (Mike McNamara)
before the finish, handing him a liquorice allsort as she passed!"

A couple of years after this she was on course to set the women's record above the men's for 24
hours also. A knee injury flared up and with the injured joint twice the size of the other she was
forced to pack shortly after the 300 mile point where she had a lead of some 20 minutes over the
eventual winner, Roy Cromack, whose distance was a UK record of 507 miles: the first time the 500
mile mark had been passed in UK competition.

--
Dave...

the Baker-Bealls wrote:

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Now then! If any proof was needed of how precious life is, my mother had been cycling to and
> > from the gym a only few weeks ago at the age of 70 and there she was, soon after, in hospital
> > fighting the big C. Anyway, the drugs seem to be working OK but I would like to share this
> > unusual story.

----//--

>
> >
> > Simon Mason Kingston upon Hull
>
> Lovely story - and nice to have you back
>
> Julia

here here , and best wishes to your mum

davep

[email protected] (Howard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Simon,
>
> See where Tony 'Jean Jourdan' Bell got his Vic Sutton info from...
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/riders/riders1.html
>
> The full lowdown on Vic's racing career. (All's fair though, I have borrowed one his is stories in
> exchange!)
>
> Regards,
>
> Howard.

Thanks for that Howard -I'll show it to my mother. BTW, the roundabout where I crashed was outside
Tradex near Boothferry Park, so watch out! Simon