Victorian Cycling Clubs: which one to join?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Vaf, Mar 22, 2004.

  1. Vaf

    Vaf Guest

    I am a 25yr old male living in the Heidelberg area and I
    have been road cycling for about 18 months. I am looking to
    take the next step up from predominantly weekend rides. I
    mostly ride Beach road to either Black Rock or Mordialloc,
    but have done a few rides out to Kangaroo Ground/Warrandyte
    aswell as last year's Around the Bay and a couple of trips
    on Kew boulevard. I think I am not a bad cyclist, as I
    manage to keep up with most of the bunches I join and manage
    to average speeds in the high 20s on most rides. I lost
    10kgs and am enjoying hilly rides out Templestowe way and
    Monsalvat. I started riding with a group of guys who used to
    do Crits, however they now have young kids and are lucky to
    get out with me once a month. Riding on you own is relaxing,
    but I enjoy group rides better.

    Any suggestions of what club to join? I have read about
    Crits on Kew Boulevard, and races on the weekends. I would
    love to get involved in those sorts of things, but
    particularly want to get into a regular training routine as
    I get out on my own maybe once or twice during the week and
    would like to have atleast two or three regular training
    rides during the week and a weekend hitout.

    All suggestions are welcome. I would prefer something local
    - Ivanhoe/Heidelberg area.

    VAF

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  3. Vaf

    Vaf Guest

    I have checked out the three you mention... there is a big
    price difference between the clubs. Hawthorn looks like the
    cheapest, Coburg seems to offer the most, and the Brunswick
    site is outdated so I am not sure what to make of it.

    Just wondering, if I am a member of one club can I compete
    in races at other clubs? Does that happen? I realise that by
    joining the better club I get the better facilities, so what
    club has the best facilities. I have never had any training,
    so some form of training would be very handy.

    I have also never done any track racing, and am looking for
    thoughts on it. I've always been interested in track, but I
    can't afford to buy a track bike. Can you use a road bike on
    the track? I am guessing you can but would be at a
    disadvantage. I have a good bike, aluminium with Chorus and
    Spinergy wheels - is it track usable?

    Cheers

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Check here on the Vic Cycle Sport website:
    > http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Clubs/clublinks.htm
    >
    > Maybe Hawthorn, Coburg or even Brunswick?
    >

    > --

  4. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Check here on the Vic Cycle Sport website:
    > http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Clubs/clublinks.htm
    >
    > Maybe Hawthorn, Coburg or even Brunswick?

    Don't forget Northcote CC. This is probably the closest club
    to where VAF lives. Although they are temporarily trackless
    and without a website they do still exist. They are part of,
    and race with, the northern combine clubs.

    Just another option to look at. Geoff -SKCC Member (who
    lives in South Morang, trains for Track at Coburg, races
    track wherever and races the road with both Northern and SE
    combine clubs)

  5. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "VAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have checked out the three you mention... there is a
    > big price
    difference
    > between the clubs. Hawthorn looks like the cheapest,
    > Coburg seems to offer the most, and the Brunswick site is
    > outdated so I am not sure what to make of it.
    >
    > Just wondering, if I am a member of one club can I compete
    > in races at
    other
    > clubs? Does that happen? I realise that by joining the
    > better club I get
    the
    > better facilities, so what club has the best facilities. I
    > have never had any training, so some form of training
    > would be very handy.
    >
    > I have also never done any track racing, and am looking
    > for thoughts on
    it.
    > I've always been interested in track, but I can't afford
    > to buy a track bike. Can you use a road bike on the track?
    > I am guessing you can but
    would
    > be at a disadvantage. I have a good bike, aluminium with
    > Chorus and
    Spinergy
    > wheels - is it track usable?
    >
    > Cheers

    Hi,

    I live in Macleod and I joined Coburg because they were of
    good size club, offering plenty of cycling and they have a
    good club jersey.

    I have not got into Track but I am sure if you wander
    down and talk to the guys (Thu) they could chase up a
    bike for you.

    The Clubs you mention race in the Northern Combine with most
    races around Romsey, Lancefield etc As a member of one of
    the clubs you can join in.

    If you want some weekend work you could always try the bunch
    leaving the Bundoora Hotel on Sunday mornings at 7:30am for
    a ride thru Whittlesea (some turn back here) on to Kinglake
    West via the Humevale Rd returning to Whittlesea via the
    main road and back to Bundoora.

    Kevin

  6. Vaf

    Vaf Guest

    what is SKCC?
    "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Check here on the Vic Cycle Sport website:
    > > http://www.vic.cycling.org.au/Clubs/clublinks.htm
    > >
    > > Maybe Hawthorn, Coburg or even Brunswick?
    > >

    > Don't forget Northcote CC. This is probably the closest
    > club to where VAF lives. Although they are temporarily
    > trackless and without a website they do still exist. They
    > are part of, and race with, the northern combine clubs.
    >
    > Just another option to look at. Geoff -SKCC Member (who
    > lives in South Morang, trains for Track at Coburg, races
    > track wherever and races the road with both Northern and
    > SE combine clubs)

  7. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    LOL
    :D

  9. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I wouldn't judge a club entirely on it's website, clubs are run by volunteers so if the club has someone with IT skills the website is going to be good. Brunswick has much more presence in open races than Coburg or Northcote. Also, don;t look at the cost as a factor, or you'll just be a silent member becasue you're not really part of the club.

    Track bikes have no brakes and one fixed gear, plus you can't have quick releases on your wheels. If you're intertested in track, find a club which has a track and has club bikes for hire, so you can figure out whether it is for you.

  10. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I had no idea that was the case.

  11. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > wrote:
    > > I joined Coburg because ... ... they have a good club
    > > jersey.
    >

    > LOL :D

    Yes..... from the guy in......drum roll.......
    "Orange/Black/white Arthur Andersen top, Red Helmet"
    Sensational stuff Dutchy (LOevenLer). No doubt designed by a
    stylish accountant from a broke firm. ;-). And yes, it was
    me in the Coburg gear who spoke to you before Wed Kew Crit.

    You really should be a little careful with your cutting and
    pasting, I know it is fun but it does not reflect the
    content of the statement when you leave the key points and
    cut to the final few words.

    Now where is your final report on Wednesday's Kew Crit?

    Happy Cycling

    Kevin

  12. Vaf

    Vaf Guest

    How do i get involved in these Wednesday Kew Boulevard
    crits?

    "K&C Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > wrote:
    > > > I joined Coburg because ... ... they have a good
    > > > club jersey.
    > >

    > > LOL :D
    > >

    > Yes..... from the guy in......drum roll.......
    > "Orange/Black/white Arthur Andersen top, Red Helmet"
    > Sensational stuff Dutchy (LOevenLer). No doubt designed by
    > a stylish accountant from a broke firm. ;-). And
    yes,
    > it was me in the Coburg gear who spoke to you before Wed
    > Kew Crit.
    >
    > You really should be a little careful with your cutting
    > and pasting, I
    know
    > it is fun but it does not reflect the content of the
    > statement when you leave the key points and cut to the
    > final few words.
    >
    > Now where is your final report on Wednesday's Kew Crit?
    >
    > Happy Cycling
    >
    > Kevin

  13. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "VAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do i get involved in these Wednesday Kew
    > Boulevard crits?
    >

    > "K&C Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > > LOL :D
    > > >

    > > Yes..... from the guy in......drum roll.......
    > > "Orange/Black/white
    Arthur
    > > Andersen top, Red Helmet" Sensational stuff Dutchy
    > > (LOevenLer). No doubt designed by a stylish accountant
    > > from a broke firm. ;-). And
    > yes,
    > > it was me in the Coburg gear who spoke to you before Wed
    > > Kew Crit.
    > >
    > > You really should be a little careful with your cutting
    > > and pasting, I
    > know
    > > it is fun but it does not reflect the content of the
    > > statement when you leave the key points and cut to the
    > > final few words.
    > >
    > > Now where is your final report on Wednesday's Kew Crit?
    > >
    > > Happy Cycling
    > >
    > > Kevin

    Hi VAF,

    The summer series finished last Wed unfortunately. It was
    sensational weather and was followed by a BBQ, we had around
    30 in the C grade race. Hawthorn are running a couple Time
    Trials on the Boulevard 9am 18/4/01, and location TBA
    23/5/04. Also some winter Crits at the Boulevard Loop 9:00am
    16/5, 6/6,11/7,15/8 and 19/9. Check out their site
    www.hawthorncycling.org

    Hace a crack next summer, it's good racing

    Kevin