Victory Count for Gruppos?

djjones

Jul 21, 2003
Does anyone know where I can find a "score" for the component manufacturers in tour wins, history by year?

Thanks,
DJ

Can help a little.
Lance Armstrong is the only cyclist to win with Shimano.
Pinarello is the most successful frame maker in recent times with winners including Miguel Indurain, Bjarne Riis and Jan Ullrich.

I found the answer on a web-site and see that Campy has won all since 1986 (and perhaps earlier), up to the current onslaught by Lance Armstrong.

How about this for a refinement of the question:

Doe anyone know by year how many stage wins on specific gruppos?

For instance:
1986 - Campy a, Shimano b
1987 - Campy c, Shimano d
1988 - Campy e, Shimano f
2002 - Campy x, Shimano y
2003 - ?

I see that the CampyOnly site has some information like this for 2003 - http://www.campyonly.com/rumors/stage_winners_2004_tour.html.

Greg Lemond had Mavic components for at least one of his wins - Mavic used to make a lot more stuff back in those days but not quite whole gruppos.

All Campy since 1978 except 89 MAVIC and Lances Shimano, not sure about zootemelk in 80 but I think it was camy thats as far back as I go.

It's Zoetemelk (Joop Zoetemelk) which basically means sweet milk. :) And indeed, he used Campy

Originally posted by The Badger
All Campy since 1978 except 89 MAVIC and Lances Shimano, not sure about zootemelk in 80 but I think it was camy thats as far back as I go.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
Greg Lemond had Mavic components for at least one of his wins - Mavic used to make a lot more stuff back in those days but not quite whole gruppos.

in the late 80's Mavic made very complete gruppos, as ridden by LeMond in 89. The gruppo included derailleurs, indexed shifters, hubs, rims, brakes (by modolo, like some campy brakes), beautiful cranks, rings, bottom bracket, headset, seatpost, stem, even sweet time trial and standard drop handlebars. They also made a great disc wheel for the TT.

The only part of the bicycle they didn't produce produce were saddles, seat binder bolts, spokes, nipples, freewheels, cable clamps, water bottle cages and frame components. They did have a license for the Look pedal cleat.

I used to work for Mavic in this era, and the component group was amazing from a design perspective. Every part was engineered for simplicity and strength, and to be top to bottom serviced with simple tools. IMHO Mavic was at the peak of their game in those days.

Cheers,

Steve Cooper

What about classes of component? Are all the riders using the best, i.e. Dura-Ace and Record, or are there some riders using Ultegra, Chorus, etc?