Victory @ last!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, May 17, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Last year I was knocked off my bike and although I only had grazed knees the (virtually new) bike
    took a bit of damage. Nissan Insurance (part of UK Insurance) tried everything from ignoring me to
    putting the lawyers onto me when I filed against them in the Small Claims Court. Yesterday they
    settled in full a week before the Court hearing. Must have cost them at least ten times the claim in
    legal fees. So perseverance works in the end. Their description of what happened must go down as an
    all time classic insurance and worth repeating here:

    - As she looked to the left she saw the claimant put his bicycle onto its left hand side, step off
    and run into a bush, throwing himself into it.

    (my kids still have fits of giggles at the mental image that conjures up)

    For others in this situation the things that turned out to be essential were - getting the
    numberplate of a witness, filing an accident report with the local police (they gave me the
    insurance details when the driver was not answering my letters and visited and took a statement from
    the witness that confirmed my story). I also took photos of where it happened the same day which
    proved the accident was not where the driver claimed it was.

    Plaudits to Hampshire Police, CTC (for help and advice) and MoneyClaim Online (the online Court
    system for filing a claim) Grudging acknowledgement to the Association of British Insurers who with
    great reluctance and a lot of arm twisting gave Nissan Insurance a small nudge for massive
    contravention of their code of conduct Brickbats to Nissan Insurance and Nissan Cars (who said it
    was nothing to do with them despite Nissan Insurance being sold by Nissan Dealers with Nissan Cars)

    So don't be put off by the actions of the insurance company if you find yourself in a
    similar situation

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  2. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Last year I was knocked off my bike and although I only had grazed knees the (virtually new) bike
    > took a bit of damage. Nissan Insurance (part of UK Insurance) tried everything from ignoring me to
    > putting the lawyers onto me when I filed against them in the Small Claims Court. Yesterday they
    > settled in full a week before the Court hearing. Must have cost them at least ten times the claim
    > in legal fees. So perseverance works in the end. Their description of what happened must go down
    > as an all time classic insurance and worth repeating here:
    >
    > - As she looked to the left she saw the claimant put his bicycle onto its left hand side, step off
    > and run into a bush, throwing himself into it.

    ...she put down her phone, extinguished her cigarette....

    > (my kids still have fits of giggles at the mental image that conjures up)

    me too. thx for sharing this.

    > For others in this situation the things that turned out to be essential were - getting the
    > numberplate of a witness,

    Sometimes difficult when injured and in varying degrees of shock but very important.

    > filing an accident report with the local police (they gave me the insurance details when the
    > driver was not answering my letters and visited and took a statement from the witness that
    > confirmed my story). I also took photos of where it happened the same day which proved the
    > accident was not where the driver claimed it was.

    Photos of any injuries are also worthwhile.

    davep

  3. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... Yesterday they settled
    > in full a week before the Court hearing. Must have cost them at least ten times the claim in legal
    > fees. So perseverance works in the end.

    Hooray! Sounds like a well deserved victory. Yes, persistance pays off and it is usually necessary
    to be _very_ persistant when tackling insurers who invariably try to stonewall.

    Their
    > description of what happened must go down as an all time classic insurance and worth
    > repeating here:
    >
    > - As she looked to the left she saw the claimant put his bicycle onto its left hand side, step off
    > and run into a bush, throwing himself into it.

    And they thought they could get away with it!

    Rich

  4. Manxshaun

    Manxshaun Guest

    news:[email protected]... SNIP Their
    > description of what happened must go down as an all time classic insurance and worth
    > repeating here:
    >
    > - As she looked to the left she saw the claimant put his bicycle onto its left hand side, step off
    > and run into a bush, throwing himself into it.
    >
    > (my kids still have fits of giggles at the mental image that conjures up)

    SNIP

    I once had a similar letter that went along the lines (wish I'd kept it and framed it):

    1 Our client bears no responsibility for the accident. 2 If she was at fault you suffered no injury
    as you did not land on the ground.

    I think there was a 3rd line, but can't remember it now.

    manxshaun