video - how bicycles are built

sergio wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > A cool 10 minute video clip showing how your basic errand bike is put
> > together, including seeing a wheel-building machine in action:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQXxDMfpyuw

> Disheartening.
>
> Sergio
> Pisa

Bolloocks, what's disheartening about it? No different than slamming a
Toyota together. A bicycle is just a machine, and this bicycle's
assembly isn't any more mystical than a Ferrari or Lexus being
assembled. It doesn't have to be something that brings awe to somebody
or a tear to their eye. Unless I'm mistaken, the video is from Japan,
where zillions ride these bikes to the train station. Not every
country is fascinated with the auto, like the US is.

In article <[email protected]>,
"sergio" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > A cool 10 minute video clip showing how your basic errand bike is put
> > together, including seeing a wheel-building machine in action:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQXxDMfpyuw

> Disheartening.
>
> Sergio
> Pisa

Sergio:

Never ask how sausage is made.

> A cool 10 minute video clip showing how your basic errand bike is put
> together, including seeing a wheel-building machine in action:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQXxDMfpyuw

Did anyone else notice that these bikes had rear-facing "track
fork"-style dropouts for the rear wheel?

Presumably this works well with gearhubs?

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "sergio" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > A cool 10 minute video clip showing how your basic errand bike is
> > > put together, including seeing a wheel-building machine in
> > > action:
> > >
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQXxDMfpyuw

> > Disheartening.
> >
> > Sergio Pisa

> Sergio:
>
> Never ask how sausage is made.

Or how politics works.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Bolloocks, what's disheartening about it? No different than slamming a
> Toyota together.

I found the assembly method fascinating - especially the whole wheel
building process. Quite clever engineering.

> Unless I'm mistaken, the video is from Japan,
> where zillions ride these bikes to the train station. Not every
> country is fascinated with the auto, like the US is.

It seemed to me that there were so many of these types of bike left
(unlocked) at the train stations that there was no way that anyone could
find their own when they got back. I thought they might just take the
nearest one - like the "leave a penny, take a penny trays" near cash
registers. <grin>

But actually, I found that they are even MORE fascinated with the
automobile in Japan than we are here (especially the youth.) The problem
is that most Japanese can't afford to drive a car, and even if you could,
it's just not practical in the cities like Tokyo where parking is almost
non-existent, and outrageously expensive if you do find it. Many of those
that have a car use it only on weekends and use the trains to commute to
work. But don't kid yourself, the Japanese do love cars - especially
classic American models!

Cheers,
David

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> sergio wrote:
> > Disheartening.

> Bolloocks, what's disheartening about it?

There may well be a misunderstanding of the word 'disheartening', and
consequently misuse, of it on my part.
I meant 'scoraggiante', diminishing my desire to continue doing things
the way I am used to. So easy and quick to prepare and coat the
frameset; insert, engage nipples and tighten spokes, just to name a
couple of steps that I admired in the video.
Nor can one doubt that a result of high quality can be achieved through
that procedure.

What would be left for us, bare hands humans?
Just repair work?

Sergio
Pisa

> What would be left for us, bare hands humans?
> Just repair work?
>
> Sergio
> Pisa

Sergio: You should have seen the documentary they did on CNBC a couple days
ago on American Airlines. Specifically the way luggage is routed through the
terminal. Almost comical the way these big arms with brushes bash at the
luggage to turn it down this ramp or that.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

On 20 Oct 2006 10:38:46 -0700, "sergio" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> sergio wrote:
>> > Disheartening.

>> Bolloocks, what's disheartening about it?

>There may well be a misunderstanding of the word 'disheartening', and
>consequently misuse, of it on my part.
>I meant 'scoraggiante', diminishing my desire to continue doing things
>the way I am used to. So easy and quick to prepare and coat the
>frameset; insert, engage nipples and tighten spokes, just to name a
>couple of steps that I admired in the video.
>Nor can one doubt that a result of high quality can be achieved through
>that procedure.
>
>What would be left for us, bare hands humans?
>Just repair work?

Riding them.
--
JT
****************************

"Phil Lee, Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Anyone know the process for making those handlebar bulges?

I believe that the method is to use a mandrel with an eccentric on the
end inserted into the tube then turned while pressing against an opposing
form:

/-------\
--------------/ \---------------- <-- Handlebar tube
//
================// <-- Tool being turned

--------------\ /----------------
\-------/

Sorry for the poor ASCII drawing, but I think it might give the concept.
Then see the video and I think you can see the tool going in and out of
the tube - although the "working end" of the tool does not seem to be
visable.

Cheers,
David

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >What would be left for us, bare hands humans?
> >Just repair work?

> Riding them.

I doubt it. Here is my latest acquisition: just finished.

Sergio
Pisa

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1va1.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2pc9.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3dd8.jpg

http://img334.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4aez2.jpg

http://img348.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5aml9.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/my.php?image=6ael5.jpg

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7avg4.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8ank7.jpg

Broken Carbitubo, along with broken Bi-titans..not unusual.

sergio wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> > >What would be left for us, bare hands humans?
> > >Just repair work?

> > Riding them.

> I doubt it. Here is my latest acquisition: just finished.
>
> Sergio
> Pisa
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1va1.jpg
>
> http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2pc9.jpg
>
> http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3dd8.jpg
>
> http://img334.imageshack.us/my.php?image=4aez2.jpg
>
> http://img348.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5aml9.jpg
>
> http://img192.imageshack.us/my.php?image=6ael5.jpg
>
> http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7avg4.jpg
>
> http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8ank7.jpg

Is the big honking cable thing to hold it together?? Seems like a lot
of work for this frame.