VIDEO: The 10 highest passes of the Alps on a touring bike

Dynamo2

Dec 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am Ralf from Germany. This summer I cycled 2.747km (1.707 miles) from Dresden, Germany to Nice in France on my loaded touring bike crossing the 10 highest passes of the Alps accumulating over 45.000m of altitude.

My newest video summarizes my journey. I promise it won't be boring
icon_smile.gif
I hope you like it. Tell me what you think.

VIDEO:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very cool video! I live in Germany as well at the moment, although I'll probably be moving in 2016 and I really wanted to do something similar to what you did. Have a little European tour of sorts. I've always been hesitant though, but your video is awesome. Really inspiring.

Reactions: Dynamo2
Very cool video! I live in Germany as well at the moment, although I'll probably be moving in 2016 and I really wanted to do something similar to what you did. Have a little European tour of sorts. I've always been hesitant though, but your video is awesome. Really inspiring.
Thanks bykster,
Glad you like the video :)
Ralf

Very impressive. Even more so given you self filmed this yourself.
You obviously had some other(s) help as your film "crew". How did you work that?
You were going through some areas with heavy traffic and narrow roads where you stood the chance of accidents and bodily harm, yet no helmet. In fact same was true with the mates you rode with along the way. Here in the US it's common practice to use a helmet and the couple of trips I took in Europe some time ago it seemed common there too. Has this practice changed? Seems like you took an unnecessary risk.
But anyway, great work! I'm jealous.

Reactions: Dynamo2
Very impressive. Even more so given you self filmed this yourself.
You obviously had some other(s) help as your film "crew". How did you work that?
You were going through some areas with heavy traffic and narrow roads where you stood the chance of accidents and bodily harm, yet no helmet. In fact same was true with the mates you rode with along the way. Here in the US it's common practice to use a helmet and the couple of trips I took in Europe some time ago it seemed common there too. Has this practice changed? Seems like you took an unnecessary risk.
But anyway, great work! I'm jealous.
Thanks !! Most of the footage was filmed by myself. Either I simply used my Gopro-Stick to film myself while cycling or I set up the camera and cycled through the image. Sometimes I asked people on the road to film me. Those were mainly other cyclists or tourists. I know I should wear a helmet ... :)

I have to thank you again. It brings back such great memories of my youth when there were no video cameras and I have no images except deep in my brain Your images retriggered my memories. I want to do it again.

On one of my tours an elderly Frenchmen (in his 60's!!!!) and I were climbing one of the big Cols. Back and forth. He on a stripped down racing bike and me fully loaded with 100 pounds total. He beat me. He bought be a drink and then dinner. He was on a 7000+ km tour. I asked him where his stuff was (in my basic French) and he told me his Secretary sends him fresh clothing to each night's hotel. I toured all thru the French and Swiss Alps. I remember this gentlemen the most. He waited for me at the Col to shake my hand. Buys me a drink and then 50 miles later he buys me dinner. The sky was a brilliant blue and the roads just clear of snow. I did 3-4 Cols every day and no less than 110 miles per day in the mountains and I camped every night. It is great. I want to do it again.