Vietnamese copy Chinese cooking? And what is rottenfish sauce?

Jason H. Schaum

Guest
I heard that Vietnamese food is like secondrate Chinese cooking. True?

And, what is rottenfish sauce? Is it just the name or is it made from rotten fish?

"Jason H. Schaumlau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I heard that Vietnamese food is like secondrate Chinese cooking. True?
>
> And, what is rottenfish sauce? Is it just the name or is it made from
rotten fish?

Vietnamese food is cooked much in the same way that Chinese food is but it has an altogether
different flavor. No, it is not second rate Chinese food. Actually, Viet food is closer to Thai food
than Chinese in the use of ingrediants. Viet food is great and I like it more than Chinese food. As
for fish sauce, it is one of the central ingrediants in Viet, Thai, Cambodian, and Laotian food.
Good quality fish sauce is made from really fresh fish. To some people fish sauce may have a very
strong smell and that's where you may have gotten that from, but it is not rotten at all, and i'm
not aware of any brand named rottenfish sauce.

Jason H. Schaumlau wrote:

> I heard that Vietnamese food is like secondrate Chinese cooking. True?

Nope. It's a wonderful cuisine, with influences from many places, including France (Vietnam was a
French colony for a long while). In fact, the Viets make superb baguettes and other baked
goods...try a "banh mi" sandwich sometime -- heaven on earth! Made with various meats, pates, herbs,
sauce on a crispy small baguette roll....

It's a cuisine that uses a lot of fresh herbs...it's not traditionally a "hot" cuisine like say,
Thai, or some others....

> And, what is rottenfish sauce? Is it just the name or is it made from
rotten fish?

Fish sauce. It's made from fermented anchovies and is ubiquitous in Vietnamese, Thai, etc. cooking.
The initial smell can be a bit off - putting to "newbies", but it adds a nice taste to various
dishes, and is a condiment as widely used as soy sauce. BTW, the western version of "rotten fish
sauce" is Worcestershire Sauce...which also has a base of fermented anchovies (as did the ancient
Roman ancestor {called "garum"] of our modern- day ketchup... ) :)

--
Best
Greg

Troll.

Many Vietnamese dishes are very similar to Chinese dishes; certainly the ingredients and techniques
are very similar. But there are some very distinctive and wonderful Vietnamese flavors - the
Vietnamese make the best spring rolls (egg roll/lumpia, etc.) in Asia. And the sandwiches adapted
from the French with a combination of French and Asian ingredients - amazing.

If you have never been in a place sophisticated enough to have Vietnamese restaurants, you're a
rube, hick, yokel.

Regards

Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Jason H. Schaumlau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I heard that Vietnamese food is like secondrate Chinese cooking. True?
>
> And, what is rottenfish sauce? Is it just the name or is it made from
rotten fish?

I was born in Vietnam and fed Vietnamese food since infancy hence I developped a taste for it. There
is no other food I can eat regularly and still enjoy it like Vietnamese food. I had also enjoyed
Chinese, Indian, Thai, French, Italian, Tex Mex and American food but probably I can not eat daily
any of the above for months without longing for Vietnamese food after a long absence. But I expect
other people to have same love for their own cooking

The observation of Mr Cohen is IMO the closest to the Truth, i.e., Vietnamese food is the closest to
Thai Food but much less spicy and hot . They are similar because they shared practically all spices
especially the use of fresh spice like coriander leaves, various mint species,, ginger, ganaga a
fundamental spice and Lemmon Grass equally fundamental. Vietnamese cooking use a lesser amount

The BAD vietnamese food resemble Chinese Food. It is generally served in Restaurants in the USA
which served mainly Caucasians who do not like too spicy food. Food that are acquired taste included
Indian Curry, Thai and authentic Vietnamese food., I also include Korean and Mexican food in this
category are food for whom who acquire a taste for like Strong Cheese from France and Italy.

If you are in the USA or France you can find some good Vietnamese Restaurants, They are as a rule
unpretentious serving mainly but not exclusively Vietnamese Clientele. Even if you don't see any
Caucasians in sight, don't hesitate to go in. You wll not be mugged or beaten or taken advantage of.
The only inconvenience is the waiters (waitress ) speak minimal English so you you have to know what
to order in advance. A list of dishes most popular with Caucasians and not expensive and expressing
the best in Vietnamese cooking , I would not give it the designation of cusine yet but it has the
hope of developping into one if the restaurant owners get their act together, will be given below:

Vietnamese Spelling English Pronunciatopn
#1 Pho FO
A thich soup meade with beef, noodle, scallions, coriander, anis, fish sauce

#2 Bun Thit Nuong No pronunciation available

A barbecued pork or beef marinated in fish sauce plus lemon grass, pepper and sugar

#3 Ca kho to Car kho to(like in Tokyo)

A fish generally cat fish cook in a sauce containing all vietnamese herbs, pepper and sugar

#4 Canh Chua Canh Chua (like in duo)

A fish soup similar to Thai Tum Yuk Kum but less spicy and I belive better

#5 Bun Bo Hue boon bo wue

A noodle soup with beef, pig feet very spicy with hot pepper

I don't see any good Vietnnamese Restaurant in the UK, Italy,Germany. . Spain, Bangkok, Hong Kong
(although in HK the Indochine is acceptable)

In the USA in towns populated with a lot of Boat People you will find good and inexpensive Vitnamese
Restaurant. In France, city like Paris has good Vietnamese Restaurants but are more expensive.

For the dishes I mentioned above you are expected to pay less than $7.00 each. With a beer and tip
it will set you back $10.00 Avoid ordering appetizers except if they have authentic Vietnamese Egg
Rolls which cost more because it contains crab meat and shrimps

In general a Good Vietnamese Restaurant starting serving good Vietnamese food degenerated into a Bad
Chinese Restaurant becuse of the demographic base of Vietnamese Conessors who can see immediately a
deficiency in quality because of skimming on cost, missing some spices, too many pre-cooked dishes.

The reaction of the owners was since they (i.e., the stupid Caucasians) don't know ehat they don't
know can not hurt them The popularity of Oriental food in the USA is the follow: Japanese or Chinese
first, second Thai by far ahead of Vietnamese food, Indian and in fourth place Vietnamese Food. This
is going to change. Vietnamese Tourist Companies are going to build several authentic Vietnamese
Restaurants in the First World. The first one will be in San Francisco, Their Pricing, Cleanliness
and service will be vastly improve as well as the authenticity of the Vietnamese food they serve,
This venture is the counterpart of the implantation of Starbuck, Mac Donald, Kentucky Fried Chicken
in the Third World. They will be investment of Vietnamese companies in Vietnam, Not the investment
of Boat People. You can expect better values.

VIETNAM TIENLEN

"Louis Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<WFV2b.270572$YN5.185511@sccrnsc01>...
> [...]

> Troll.
>
> Many Vietnamese dishes are very similar to Chinese dishes; certainly the ingredients and
> techniques are very similar. But there are some very distinctive and wonderful Vietnamese flavors
> - the Vietnamese make the best spring rolls (egg roll/lumpia, etc.) in Asia. And the sandwiches
> adapted from the French with a combination of French and Asian ingredients - amazing.
>
> If you have never been in a place sophisticated enough to have Vietnamese restaurants, you're a
> rube, hick, yokel.
>
> Regards
>
> Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>
> "Jason H. Schaumlau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I heard that Vietnamese food is like secondrate Chinese cooking. True?
> >
> > And, what is rottenfish sauce? Is it just the name or is it made from

not copy!!! some from chinese!!! and Chinese think they are think they r the king of food.......n
depend the geo food DNA do U getting from...but chinese have a good propoganda food like U in the
west using your **** gods for your own evil doing oh, sorry I should say good evil like the West
press......about Marsss I saw that 3 yrs ago from spaces.com ........now U calling that is news......;-

tell the chinese cook the Turles soup for the Foxy tastes = My~ kho~

the Turles already taking care Bac' Han` .....

i just have fun before Sunday = 20 yrs U all have to wash your blood cells if not U still a monkeys
red ass n planets....

NASA changler n Combia only 2 more

the Truth = i think la` Chu + ` + th

I know where the 1947 Aliens body are.....do U wanna know where??????

I am very crazy!!!!!! but history n Geograhic I am very good.........

n don't say that VNese copy Chinese please make me laugh heeeeeeeeeeeee