Vinegar for dyeing eggs

Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
so maybe I'll try that next year.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
> never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
> used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
> out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
> it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
> so maybe I'll try that next year.

Cheap white works fine. Save the good stuff for dunking your Oreos into.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

wrote on 18 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
> never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
> used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
> out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
> it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
> so maybe I'll try that next year.

The cheap white stuff, as you don't care what the egg shells tastes like go
cheap. It's the acidity that counts not the flavour, in this case.

--
-Alan

Lefty wrote:

> Cheap white works fine. Save the good stuff for dunking your Oreos into.

OK, that's just weird.

On 18 Apr 2006 21:07:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
> never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
> used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
> out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
> it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
> so maybe I'll try that next year.

I replicate the whole thing using regular cider vinegar and food
coloring.... a little salt too.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

> Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
> never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
> used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
> out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
> it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
> so maybe I'll try that next year.

Doesn't matter. I use white. How long are you leaving the eggs in the
dye bath?

I have some pictures of egg I made on my website -- the background
colors are dyed -- but they're not food dyes, so if you plan to eat the
eggs, you're SOL.

My cousins in Slovakia use the color tablet from a kids' watercolor set.
I've never tried it.

The dyes I use are a powder that is mixed with boiling water to which a
tbsp of vinegar is added.

You might also make dye by pouring boiling water over crepe paper (I
don't know how expensive crepe paper is and if this is practical -- it's
how my sisters did it 65 years ago.)

Some thoughts.
--
-Barb