Vinegar for dyeing eggs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 18, 2006.

  1. Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
    never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
    used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
    out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
    it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
    so maybe I'll try that next year.

    Tags:

  2. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
    > never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
    > used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
    > out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
    > it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
    > so maybe I'll try that next year.

    Cheap white works fine. Save the good stuff for dunking your Oreos into.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

  3. wrote on 18 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
    > never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
    > used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
    > out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
    > it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
    > so maybe I'll try that next year.

    The cheap white stuff, as you don't care what the egg shells tastes like go
    cheap. It's the acidity that counts not the flavour, in this case.

    --
    -Alan

  4. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Lefty wrote:

    > Cheap white works fine. Save the good stuff for dunking your Oreos into.

    OK, that's just weird.

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 21:07:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
    > never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
    > used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
    > out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
    > it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
    > so maybe I'll try that next year.

    I replicate the whole thing using regular cider vinegar and food
    coloring.... a little salt too.

    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Most of the easter egg dyeing kits instruct you to use vinegar but they
    > never say what kind of vinegar. Should apple cider or white vinegar be
    > used? We've always used apple cider vinegar but the colors always come
    > out kind of faint. I'm wondering if white vinegar would be better? Does
    > it matter? Most people say that food coloring is better than those kits
    > so maybe I'll try that next year.

    Doesn't matter. I use white. How long are you leaving the eggs in the
    dye bath?

    I have some pictures of egg I made on my website -- the background
    colors are dyed -- but they're not food dyes, so if you plan to eat the
    eggs, you're SOL.

    My cousins in Slovakia use the color tablet from a kids' watercolor set.
    I've never tried it.

    The dyes I use are a powder that is mixed with boiling water to which a
    tbsp of vinegar is added.

    You might also make dye by pouring boiling water over crepe paper (I
    don't know how expensive crepe paper is and if this is practical -- it's
    how my sisters did it 65 years ago.)

    Some thoughts.
    --
    -Barb