Vino in Beijing?

LewisBricktop

Sep 10, 2006
There's been a lot of talk about Vino back in training and the confrontation with the UCI about getting into the Olympics. I always liked him and wouldn't mind seeing him there. His one non-negative test, out of the many he must have taken with his winning record, could be seen as an anomaly and a one time bad decision under incredible circumstances. So what are the chances that this actually happens? Has anyone here heard anything?

LewisBricktop said:
There's been a lot of talk about Vino back in training and the confrontation with the UCI about getting into the Olympics. I always liked him and wouldn't mind seeing him there. His one non-negative test, out of the many he must have taken with his winning record, could be seen as an anomaly and a one time bad decision under incredible circumstances. So what are the chances that this actually happens? Has anyone here heard anything?
The only reason that Vino didn't get a lifetime ban was because he said he was retiring from the sport. I imagine if he trys to come back into high level cycling the UCI will go ahead with trying to get him a lifetime ban.

His one non-negative test was due to the fact that they target tested him with a very expensive test that they usually won't use unless they know they are going to nail someone with it. I am sure in the morning when Vino was ushered into a blacked out people carrier and driven off he was saying to everyone on board "wait a minute, you want to what? a blood trasnfusion? it was only a bump on the knee for gods sake. Oh alright then if you insist Dr.Ferrari you know best."

LewisBricktop said:
His one non-negative test, out of the many he must have taken with his winning record, could be seen as an anomaly and a one time bad decision under incredible circumstances.
There was no anomaly or incredible circumstances .... Vino road for some of the most tainted teams in professional cycling history i.e T Mobile, Astana Wurth, Astana, Liberty Seguros. He has always been doping and not just subtlely but at an extreme level. His doctor M.Ferrari also has an incredibly dodgy track record.

Doping in sports is a bit like the Mafia, everyone knows who the crooks are but no-one says ****. I wish Vino a good career as a road sweeper.

I recall recently the UCI saying that if they had enough suggestion/proof/whatever they needed that Vino was going to try to ride in the Olympics, that they would then appeal to CAS for a longer ban (which they didn't do before because he was retiring).

However, someone who some of you in this GT thread might "know" (and love ;) ) posted elsewhere this morning that a supposedly reliable Russian media source claims a UCI lawyer has said the UCI is "willing to consider his return to professional sports" (apparently not just the Olympics). I cannot read Russian so have no clue about the accuracy of translation ...

confusedfan said:
I recall recently the UCI saying that if they had enough suggestion/proof/whatever they needed that Vino was going to try to ride in the Olympics, that they would then appeal to CAS for a longer ban (which they didn't do before because he was retiring).

However, someone who some of you in this GT thread might "know" (and love ;) ) posted elsewhere this morning that a supposedly reliable Russian media source claims a UCI lawyer has said the UCI is "willing to consider his return to professional sports" (apparently not just the Olympics). I cannot read Russian so have no clue about the accuracy of translation ...

I'm hoping for a come back but don't think it'll happen - UCI will probably dish out a 2 year suspension if Vino comes out of "retirement".

Fair dues though - if Millar, Basso, Tyler yadda yadda yadda can do it then no reason why Vino shouldn't....

confusedfan said:

I'm hoping for a come back but don't think it'll happen - UCI will probably dish out a 2 year suspension if Vino comes out of "retirement". He'll be past him prime by then.

Fair dues though - if Millar, Basso, Tyler yadda yadda yadda can do it then no reason why Vino shouldn't....

confusedfan said:

Slow internet connection and compulsive button hitting makes 3rd time the charm :rolleyes:

Sorry people...

Eldron said:
Slow internet connection and compulsive button hitting makes 3rd time the charm :rolleyes:

Sorry people...
You can delete your double/triple posts. Click on Edit post, and then you have an option to delete the post.

No one is indispensable, Vino included. He can kiss the sport good-bye and there'll always be new blood that can keep us entertained.

sogood said:
No one is indispensable, Vino included. He can kiss the sport good-bye and there'll always be new blood that can keep us entertained.
LOL