VINO!

Forward! For the most glorious forehead in all Kazakhstan!

Verrry nice!

Absolutely! What a way to go out.

This only third time Vino retire. Vino MUST attack! All Kazakhstan will demand he return to lead glorious Astana Team to victory!

What a great way to retire /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

It's really too bad.....I mean tragic and heartrending......that all the other teams, with the exception of the German team, didn't ride the way the UK squad wanted them to so that Cavendish could have won. Can someone please pass some of these, if the Cavendish hasn't used them all?
kleenex.jpg

certainly think the lack of race radios helped keep this race from going according to uk cycling plans. might give prudhomme something to consider if he really wants to get the tour teams interested in launching long range attacks.

Cav and Wiggins didn't sound too depressed in their interviews.

There was some concern over the fact that there was so many fans lining the course there was no good spots to stop and take a ****.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Cav and Wiggins didn't sound to depressed in their interviews.
That's just the way to relativize the defeat.
Typical British pride or loftiness, in my opinion.

I think they're, in fact, hit with the outcome of the race.
Will Cavendish get another chance like this? Will British cycling be in situation to take all the major titles in road cycling in a single year?
I don't think so.

This was a historic chance for them to show their domination and they were specifically preparing for it.

Without radio and with just four men in service of their leader, tactics should have been different.
But you won't hear that from them.
It's Aussies' fault.

Edit:

And everything that on their home turf.
It surely hurts.

Uh...isn't Cav already a World Champion? The Australians did have SO'G in the break so I guess they could sit back a bit. Maybe Cav's comment about them riding negatively could be construed as sour grapes.

I've watched the Italians...the masters of race tactics...screw **** up so badly you would have thought it was a USCF local circuit race they were riding.

Sure, part of the tactic was to let any other country interested in a win from the bunch to help ride at the front. The Germans pulled hard. The Swiss pulled thru. Spain came to the front for a while. And the gap came down to 50" with 14 miles to go...PLENTY of time to shut down most breaks.

But, the strongest team in the race, the Brits, rode their guts out and were just out of gas from the effort. So was everyone else. The tempo was high from the gun and it's just my opinion, but only the fact that it was the combining of the two large break groups that even gave them a remote shot at staying off the front to the end. I also think Spartcus' slam dance put the last nail in the chase coffin. It obviously slowed the group temporarily.

As Sean might say, "They didn't make the calculation!".

So it came down to three of the most powerful cycling nations on the planet to duke it out since, apparantly, no one else other than the English wanted to win the race: Kazakhstan and Colombia. And a Norwegian.

...er...wait. wut?

Nice efforts from TJ and TP and TD and TF...better luck next year!

Yes, Cav's already a World champion. And Olympic gold would complete Brits' collection of great titles in a year span.

Sour grapes, off course. That's why I've mentioned the comment about Aussies.

250 kilometers of aggressive racing is a lot. Too much for any five men team.

Italians had Paolini for the sprint in front group. It was him who screwed at the end.

Too bad for Cancellara. Not just because of road race, it will make easier job for Wiggo on Wednesday.
But I hope Martin, Larsson, Phinney... Will give him decent run for his money.

It would be a debacle if GB doesn't save road events with a gold in TT.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

So it came down to three of the most powerful cycling nations on the planet to duke it out since, apparantly, no one else other than the English wanted to win the race: Kazakhstan and Colombia. And a Norwegian.

...er...wait. wut?
Hey, Colombians are great bike racers.....so long as the road is going up.

Da Mennonite on Vino:

Landis contacted Cyclingnews with the following:

"If Vino says 'it's a victory for clean cycling" he'd be my hero. Alternatively if he said 'f*** every single mother******* one of you,' that would work too."

Now THAT's hysterical!

I can see Vino and Kash, back in Astana with the cleanest hookers and a pile of the finest potassium...kicking back and laughing all the way to the bank!

Originally Posted by Andrija .

Yes, Cav's already a World champion. And Olympic gold would complete Brits' collection of great titles in a year span.

Sour grapes, off course. That's why I've mentioned the comment about Aussies.

250 kilometers of aggressive racing is a lot. Too much for any five men team.

Italians had Paolini for the sprint in front group. It was him who screwed at the end.

Too bad for Cancellara. Not just because of road race, it will make easier job for Wiggo on Wednesday.
But I hope Martin, Larsson, Phinney... Will give him decent run for his money.

It would be a debacle if GB doesn't save road events with a gold in TT.
+1. a course designed by brits to be ridden by brits with a full complement of riders. has to be seen as a disaster for brailsford and the uk. quite seriously to have only counted on pushing cav forward with no back-up? and to be taken to task by a country that had two spots? poor tactics through and through. brings to mind how badly sky adapted last year after wiggs crashed out.

Hey, Colombians are great bike racers.....so long as the road is going up.

Most certainly. And you would be hard pressed to find a nation that produces better endurance athletes than Norway...but, still...

I got to see Dag Otto race in Philly and he was an animal on The Wall. The kind of guy that tears steel frames apart.

Ther...I worked Colombia and Norway into one pic!

The Columbian looked left, the wily Kazahkhstani went right, and hard. .5... 1... 1.5... almost 2 seconds pass. Uran finally looks right and stomps. Too late. Game over. The crowds lining the streets probably stifled the usual auditory drivetrain cues and little noises that come when accelerating.

It was hard to tell if Vino saw him look back or it was just fortunate timing. Either way it was the kiss of death.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

It was hard to tell if Vino saw him look back or it was just fortunate timing. Either way it was the kiss of death.
I don't think Vino saw. This was as perfect as storms come.