Vinokourov backs Contador at Astana

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Aug 5, 2009.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

How this plays out will be interesting!

Tags:

2. Andrija

Andrija Member

Contador refused 4 million per year 4 years contract before Vino came out to say he'll work and build the team for him. I believe Contador expects a lot from Alonso's engagement in cycling.
    So, this is how I see it will play out: Contador is under contract with Astana through 2010 and Alonso can't start the team before 2011 (that's how it looks now). If Contador would like to change the team just for one year, I don't think he could find one. So, I think he'll stay with Astana next season, asking for strong guarantees regarding leadership, and after 2010 he goes somewhere else. The problem is - will Astana agree on this? They want long(er) term contract which would guarantee them long(er) term success and promotion they want.
    The second option is - Contador signing long term contract with some team at the end of this season.

3. poulidor

poulidor New Member

Astana need Contador to secure a 2010 TDF participation, so that the following years will not be a real problem with a new leader.
    I do believe they would try to give a one year contract fo Contador.

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, spending on this and allowing the exodus of 'good' riders is probably a good investment.

5. Grater

Grater New Member

Of course Vino wants him there. Look at all the huge money it will bring from the Kazak government when Contador wins the TDF.

Anyway, it will be interesting. Without the Hog, how will Contadope handle it? I mean, last time there was no director of doping at Astana, Vinokourov and Kasheskin were caught out!

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Vinos the middle man between the team and the Kazakh money men.

Vino calls the shots at Astana and if he's saying that he wants Contador to stay, I expect that he is doing so at the moneymens behest.

Nice vote of confidence, it must be said.

7. Andrija

Andrija Member

Doesn't he have an existing contract through 2010? They don't need to offer him anything. He'll agree to finish that contract and will be happy to leave at the end of it. Astana will be just as happy as Contador - they didn't manage to hold him long enough, but it did the job.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong about contract, or if all this mess about their sponsors, licence, management changed anything.

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I agree that he was the man, afterall the team was organized specifically for him after T-Mobile to keep the national champion racing. I am not sure what his role or standing is these days.
    I guess the "post tour musical chairs" is part of the intrigue.

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

From what I have heard, Vino sits somewhere above the Astana DS/Manager and just below the shareholders, within the overall Astana structure and that the money men at Astana communicate with him as opposed to the DS/Manager.

10. poulidor

poulidor New Member

I don't know what is his contract but people have already stated that riders had a contract with Bruyneel and not with Astana. So Bruyneel leaving Astana, his contract should be broken. At least all this mess can make a lot of breaches for riders seeking a door to leave.

11. Andrija

Andrija Member

Ah, yes... I knew there's something about Bruyneel hijacking Astana, but I've just forgotten the details.
    Well, I think Contador will ride for Astana in 2010. They are the only team, I can think of, which is ready to pay him enough just for one year. Every other team (capable of paying) wouldn't scarifies their existing hierarchy for just one shot at the Tour.

12. Cobblestones

Cobblestones New Member

I remember it differently. I thought that the Astana team was special in that they have the ProTour license and riders' contracts were directly with the sponsor (Astana). Now, I might be wrong, or maybe it is different for different riders (some riders have contracts with the Hog, others with Astana). It would be nice to get clarification, though.

13. lucybears

lucybears New Member

Vinokourov has Licence problems. The application to the UCI has not yet been completed. He must formally apply for a license in Monaco because that is where he resides. It is now not known when Vinokourov will make his comeback.

14. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

It is more than one shot. It is almost a guaranteed win. What is more is that Contador will likely do the Vuelta next year. He cannot do the Vuelta this year because it would be dumb to subject himself to the same back stabbing environment that he endured during the Tour.

If Valverde were to have his ban extended beyond Italy then that would free up enough money at Caisse for Contador.

Contador is a big enough star that he could likely bring his own funding. Fernando Alonso is lining up sponsors to fund a team built around Contador in 2011. One of those sponsors might be willing to pay Contador's salary on another team in 2010 if they were accepted as a cosponsor.

15. Andrija

Andrija Member

Yes, it's almost guaranteed win and in Vuelta too. But, there is that "almost" which brings risk. And funding can be solved in that way. And if thing with Valverde develops as suggested, then this all could become truth. But I'm not sure about Valverde and that's why Astana looks like most realistic option.

16. TheDangerMan

TheDangerMan New Member

Armstrong isn't in the Vuelta so there would be no chance of the team working for two riders. Contador simply knows it would be hard for him to win another grand tour so soon after the ToF. And as a great rider it's hardly worth turning up if you have to work for somebody else. Few people would do that after winning a ToF. Armstrong working for Levi in the Giro was a rare exception.

I don't think Alonso's team will attract Contador for at least a couple of years. The outfit would have to be really top notch to attract him, and that is very difficult for a new team.

17. Andrija

Andrija Member

The point is - Alonso is starting the team because of Contador and in close cooperation with him. So, it will be very strong from the beginning.

18. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Armstrong never did a lick of work for Leecheimer at the Giro. All he did was mug for the cameras and use the domestiques to support himself rather than the supposed team leader.

Since Armstrong has poisoned the team against Contador with his petty childishness, Contador would be a fool to ride the Vuelta with Bruyneel and Armstrong's lapdogs like Leecheimer still attached to the team.

19. TheDangerMan

TheDangerMan New Member

That's your rather biased assertion. Armstrong was even going back to the car for the team's water bottles. I bet you will never ever see Contador to that again for the rest of his career. It doesn't make Contador a bad sport, but it's just very rare for a Tour winner to go back to doing those things.

During the tour, Contador, to his credit, went to each person's room to thank them for their work for him. I think his relations with them are still okay, and they inturn have stayed neutral as best they can. No, Tour winners rarely jump straight into another grand tour these days. That's all that is about.

20. TheDangerMan

TheDangerMan New Member

As a fan of F1 myself I'd like to see Alonso's team do well.