Vinokourov backs Contador at Astana

History shows that the Vuelta has always been a problem for TDF winners. Excepting Steven Roche.
Peaking for 3 major tours a year is very difficult. Then add in the nationalism factor of the Spanish riders sandbagging in the TDF for a great ride in the Vuelta. Many TDF winners were aware that Spanish domistiques were potential problems in France if they had aspirations for the Vuelta.

Andrija said:
Doesn't he have an existing contract through 2010? They don't need to offer him anything. He'll agree to finish that contract and will be happy to leave at the end of it. Astana will be just as happy as Contador - they didn't manage to hold him long enough, but it did the job.
Please correct me if I'm wrong about contract, or if all this mess about their sponsors, licence, management changed anything.

usually contracts have a clause allowing riders to 'buy out there contract' where if the rider want to end his contract he/she can pay some sum of money (usually paid by the team he's going to) and he can leave.

doctorSpoc said:
usually contracts have a clause allowing riders to 'buy out there contract' where if the rider want to end his contract he/she can pay some sum of money (usually paid by the team he's going to) and he can leave.
I know that, off course. The problem is - it won't be small buy out, and who's willing to do that, just to have him in the team for one year. Bro Deal mentioned reasonable way to solve this.
I still doubt Contador will leave Astana.

Andrija said:
I know that, off course. The problem is - it won't be small buy out, and who's willing to do that, just to have him in the team for one year. Bro Deal mentioned reasonable way to solve this.
I still doubt Contador will leave Astana.

it's a lot of money but... if you can sign him for 4 years or something and basically be guaranteed of winning the tour de france for those 4 years.. i think some teams might take a serious look at that... remember he just won the tour by 4 minutes an likely could have been closer to 10mins if he had been inclined to work ever stage.. this isn't any average rider or podium contender.. you're paying for the tour de france winner for many years to come... it might just be worth it as long as he can stay healthy that is.. that to me is the biggest gamble..

doctorSpoc said:
it's a lot of money but... if you can sign him for 4 years or something and basically be guaranteed of winning the tour de france for those 4 years.. i think some teams might take a serious look at that... remember he just won the tour by 4 minutes an likely could have been closer to 10mins if he had been inclined to work ever stage.. this isn't any average rider or podium contender.. you're paying for the tour de france winner for many years to come... it might just be worth it as long as he can stay healthy that is.. that to me is the biggest gamble..
No one can sign him for 4 years. He's waiting 2011 to join Alonso's team. That is what this debate is all about - his 2010 team and related possibilities. It's more than certain he's waiting Alonso's engagement in cycling.

Edit:
Astana already offered him a 4 year contract worth 16 million euros and he refused it. I doubt anyone can offer him more.

Andrija said:
No one can sign him for 4 years. He's waiting 2011 to join Alonso's team. That is what this debate is all about - his 2010 team and related possibilities. It's more than certain he's waiting Alonso's engagement in cycling.

Edit:
Astana already offered him a 4 year contract worth 16 million euros and he refused it. I doubt anyone can offer him more.

Astana ought to throw in a oil royalty fee on top €16m offer:D

limerickman said:
Astana ought to throw in a oil royalty fee on top €16m offer:D
Nah...
I don't think it's about money. The color of their jerseys is repulsive.

Andrija said:
Nah...
I don't think it's about money. The color of their jerseys is repulsive.

The colours are the colours of the Kazakh nation!

You'll have the oligarachs taking a contract out on you, for slagging their national colours!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like Caisse d’Epargne is seriously considering Contador.. and looks like a pretty powerful new line up with lots of new up and comers... Mauricio Soler and Constantin Siutsou plus Christophe Moreau and Marzio Bruseghin.. that's a pretty transformed team.. for a guy like Contador.. that's a pretty solid line up for support..

doctorSpoc said:
looks like Caisse d’Epargne is seriously considering Contador.. and looks like a pretty powerful new line up with lots of new up and comers... Mauricio Soler and Constantin Siutsou plus Christophe Moreau and Marzio Bruseghin.. that's a pretty transformed team.. for a guy like Contador.. that's a pretty solid line up for support..
Why not for Valverde?
He's their star rider with strong contract, but with a problem. For now his problem is only in Italy. I look at this acquisitions as a plan beyond 2010, when Contador will maybe pull some Caisse riders with him in Alonso's team, so Caisse has to fill the holes.