Vintage Bicyle info

Wiscottsin

Guest
I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has. All clamp on
cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first
acquired it. I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info
anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in
great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath
so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but now it's hanging
up begging to be used for something.

Anyone tips would be appreciated.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:32:49 +0000, WiScottsin wrote:

> I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
> head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has.

That does not ring a bell.

> All clamp on cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts
> when I first acquired it.

Clamp-ons were common in the 60s and 70s, since there was a belief that braze-on fittings were
stress risers which could lead to frame failure. This is actually true, but not significant since
there are other places that usually fail first.

Did you save the old parts you took off? That would help the restoration.

> I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info anywhere. I've
>googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in great shape. The
>paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath so it isn't
>really rusting.

This was typical of many Italian bikes of that era. The chrome is usually not nice enough or thick
enough to use as the finish, but was there -- I don't know, maybe to add weight...

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
--Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:32:49 -0500, "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> may have said:

>I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
>head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has. All clamp on
>cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first
>acquired it. I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info
>anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in
>great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath
>so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but now it's hanging
>up begging to be used for something.
>
>Anyone tips would be appreciated.

http://hometown.aol.com/venture10/disp/light2.htm

The leads are tenuous, but might be worth following up. There are a few posts in there which mention
the Garlatti.

---

Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

WiScottsin wrote:
> I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
> head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has. All clamp on
> cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first
> acquired it. I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info
> anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in
> great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath
> so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but now it's
> hanging up begging to be used for something.
>
> Anyone tips would be appreciated.

I am not familiar with the brand, but if it's pre-bike boom and not rusted it's probably worth
restoring to some level and enjoying at least. Any vintage Italian race bike seems to have some
market value these days. Do you still have the old Campy components?

Sheldon Brown's web site may have some info, also check www.oldroads.com.

Subscribing and checking the archives to this email list might help:

It looks as if the Manufacturer is still around, perhaps they can help in your quest.

GARLATTI SRL Sector FACTORY-FABRICANTS-FABBRICANTE Address VIA LA SPEZIA 166 Mail code 43100 City
PARMA District PR State ITALY Phone +39/0521/290925 Fax +39/0521/290917 Products All Terrain
Bicycles-Vélos tous terrains Folding Bicycles-Bicyclettes Pliantes-Bici pieghevoli

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had
for
> many years. It has a head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is
about
> all the markings that it has. All clamp on cable guides/shifters ( no
braze
> ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first acquired it. I was half thinking
> about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info anywhere. I've googled, and tried
> other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in great shape. The paint is in really
> bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath so it isn't really rusting. I had
> it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but
now
> it's hanging up begging to be used for something.
>
> Anyone tips would be appreciated.

Not sure what you're asking but when we sold them they were available as either "Garlatti" or with
the "Welker" name. Same bike.

One of the few inexpensive bikes of the era ( 1972) with vertical ends, and the ladies' model had a
cute chromed curved top tube. Otherwise unremarkable

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:32:49 -0500, "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had
for
> >many years. It has a head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is
about
> >all the markings that it has. All clamp on cable guides/shifters ( no
braze
> >ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first acquired
it.
> >I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot
find
> >any info anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is
> >still in great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed
> >underneath so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but
now
> >it's hanging up begging to be used for something.
> >
> >Anyone tips would be appreciated.
> >

> http://hometown.aol.com/venture10/disp/light2.htm
>

> The leads are tenuous, but might be worth following up. There are a few posts in there which
> mention the Garlatti.

Thanks for the link, that is actually one of the few I found via Google. Most of the posts are from
the late 1990's, but I did try following up one of them the other day.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote

> Not sure what you're asking but when we sold them they were available as either "Garlatti" or with
> the "Welker" name. Same bike.
>
> One of the few inexpensive bikes of the era ( 1972) with vertical ends,
and
> the ladies' model had a cute chromed curved top tube. Otherwise unremarkable

This is actually a traditional, classic style road frame. Horizontal dropouts, and pretty relaxed
touring-style geomentry. It actually rides pretty nice, I'm really looking to find out more about
what it was like when new ( how old, original components, etc.. ).