Vintage Bicyle info

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wiscottsin, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
    head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has. All clamp on
    cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first
    acquired it. I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info
    anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in
    great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath
    so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but now it's hanging
    up begging to be used for something.

    Anyone tips would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:32:49 +0000, WiScottsin wrote:

    > I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
    > head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has.

    That does not ring a bell.

    > All clamp on cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts
    > when I first acquired it.

    Clamp-ons were common in the 60s and 70s, since there was a belief that braze-on fittings were
    stress risers which could lead to frame failure. This is actually true, but not significant since
    there are other places that usually fail first.

    Did you save the old parts you took off? That would help the restoration.

    > I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info anywhere. I've
    >googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in great shape. The
    >paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath so it isn't
    >really rusting.

    This was typical of many Italian bikes of that era. The chrome is usually not nice enough or thick
    enough to use as the finish, but was there -- I don't know, maybe to add weight...

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:32:49 -0500, "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> may have said:

    >I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
    >head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has. All clamp on
    >cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first
    >acquired it. I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info
    >anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in
    >great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath
    >so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but now it's hanging
    >up begging to be used for something.
    >
    >Anyone tips would be appreciated.

    http://hometown.aol.com/venture10/disp/light2.htm

    The leads are tenuous, but might be worth following up. There are a few posts in there which mention
    the Garlatti.

    ---

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  4. Marcus Coles

    Marcus Coles Guest

    WiScottsin wrote:
    > I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had for many years. It has a
    > head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is about all the markings that it has. All clamp on
    > cable guides/shifters ( no braze ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first
    > acquired it. I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info
    > anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in
    > great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath
    > so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but now it's
    > hanging up begging to be used for something.
    >
    > Anyone tips would be appreciated.

    I am not familiar with the brand, but if it's pre-bike boom and not rusted it's probably worth
    restoring to some level and enjoying at least. Any vintage Italian race bike seems to have some
    market value these days. Do you still have the old Campy components?

    Sheldon Brown's web site may have some info, also check www.oldroads.com.

    Subscribing and checking the archives to this email list might help:

    It looks as if the Manufacturer is still around, perhaps they can help in your quest.

    GARLATTI SRL Sector FACTORY-FABRICANTS-FABBRICANTE Address VIA LA SPEZIA 166 Mail code 43100 City
    PARMA District PR State ITALY Phone +39/0521/290925 Fax +39/0521/290917 Products All Terrain
    Bicycles-Vélos tous terrains Folding Bicycles-Bicyclettes Pliantes-Bici pieghevoli

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had
    for
    > many years. It has a head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is
    about
    > all the markings that it has. All clamp on cable guides/shifters ( no
    braze
    > ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first acquired it. I was half thinking
    > about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot find any info anywhere. I've googled, and tried
    > other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is still in great shape. The paint is in really
    > bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed underneath so it isn't really rusting. I had
    > it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but
    now
    > it's hanging up begging to be used for something.
    >
    > Anyone tips would be appreciated.

    Not sure what you're asking but when we sold them they were available as either "Garlatti" or with
    the "Welker" name. Same bike.

    One of the few inexpensive bikes of the era ( 1972) with vertical ends, and the ladies' model had a
    cute chromed curved top tube. Otherwise unremarkable

  6. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:32:49 -0500, "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    > >I've been searching for some info on an old Italian frame that I've had
    for
    > >many years. It has a head badge labelled "Garlatti Parma" and that is
    about
    > >all the markings that it has. All clamp on cable guides/shifters ( no
    braze
    > >ons ) and it originally had some old campy parts when I first acquired
    it.
    > >I was half thinking about trying to restore it some day, but I cannot
    find
    > >any info anywhere. I've googled, and tried other newsgroups to no avail. Despite it's age, it is
    > >still in great shape. The paint is in really bad shape, but the entire frame seems to be chromed
    > >underneath so it isn't really rusting. I had it set up as a commuter bike for many years, but
    now
    > >it's hanging up begging to be used for something.
    > >
    > >Anyone tips would be appreciated.
    > >

    > http://hometown.aol.com/venture10/disp/light2.htm
    >

    > The leads are tenuous, but might be worth following up. There are a few posts in there which
    > mention the Garlatti.

    Thanks for the link, that is actually one of the few I found via Google. Most of the posts are from
    the late 1990's, but I did try following up one of them the other day.

  7. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Not sure what you're asking but when we sold them they were available as either "Garlatti" or with
    > the "Welker" name. Same bike.
    >
    > One of the few inexpensive bikes of the era ( 1972) with vertical ends,
    and
    > the ladies' model had a cute chromed curved top tube. Otherwise unremarkable

    This is actually a traditional, classic style road frame. Horizontal dropouts, and pretty relaxed
    touring-style geomentry. It actually rides pretty nice, I'm really looking to find out more about
    what it was like when new ( how old, original components, etc.. ).

    > --
    > Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    Thanks for the leads, I'll check them all out.