vintage brooks saddle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Manimal, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Manimal

    Manimal Guest

    hey guys,

    I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic of a bike a few years ago.
    Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if these are worth anything. Maybe someone else does.

    Sorry, no pics to show.

    Tags:

  2. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >I have no idea if these are worth anything

    It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters". Apply
    some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont want it I'll give you $5.

  3. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

    I thought I had gold when I discovered a brand new B17 in a truckload of stuff I got from an
    abandoned bike store. Unfortunately, I think the highest offer I got on
    rec.bicycles.marketplace was $30.

    Sorry.
    --
    Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides "Manimal" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > hey guys,
    >
    > I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic
    of
    > a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if these are worth anything.
    > Maybe someone else does.
    >
    > Sorry, no pics to show.

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Manimal" wrote ...
    > hey guys,
    >
    > I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic
    of
    > a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if these are worth anything.
    > Maybe someone else does.
    >
    > Sorry, no pics to show.

    Brooks is still making a wide range of old school high quality leather saddles, which limits the
    value of the old ones. Clean it up, put it on your bike, and ride it.
    --
    mark

  5. On 05 Aug 2003 01:03:30 GMT, [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) wrote:

    >It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".
    >Apply some leather treatment and ride it.

    Make sure you use "Proofide" (sp? maybe Proofhide?) on it.

    There's some other stuff out there that lets the leather stretch all out of shape and you'll be
    riding the rails if you do that. Proofide isn't cheap, but it is what you need.

  6. Jkpoulos7 wrote in message <[email protected]>...

    >It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".
    >Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont want it I'll give you $5.

    And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.

    Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.

    I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR on my oversized AL frame.

    Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!

    See just how far out of it you are?

  7. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 05:29:29 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
    Internet wrote:

    >Jkpoulos7 wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >>
    >>It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".
    >>Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont want it I'll give you $5.
    >
    >And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.
    >
    >Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.
    >
    >I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR on my oversized AL frame.
    >
    >Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!
    >
    >See just how far out of it you are?

    I dunno. I'm thinking of getting a Surly Steamroller for winter fixie riding and I was going to put
    a B17 on it just for giggles. Anything goes in November and December. You even see some pros on
    those juvenile delinquent mountain bikes.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace a bike ouch over a shifty screaming nun
    12:41:04 AM 5 August 2003

  8. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I have no idea if these are worth anything
    >
    > It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".

    SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

    >Apply some leather treatment and ride it.

    I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.

    Dick Durbin

  9. Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

    > Jkpoulos7 wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".
    > >Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont want it I'll give you $5.
    >
    > And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.
    >
    > Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.
    >
    > I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR on my oversized AL frame.
    >
    > Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!
    >
    > See just how far out of it you are?

    But think of it more in art and aesthetics terms.

    If the bike is of the proper color or color combination, addition of a Brooks in "honey" can be a
    real aesthetic addition to the bike.

    I've found the appearance of my dark forest green Trek 520 is much enhanced with the addition of the
    honey brown Brooks. It's a real style statement that a person with such sensitivities as yourself
    can much appreciate, and make even better by the knowledge that many others are incapable of
    perceiving the improvement!

    And of course, the heavier saddle can be useful for training purposes. Get back on your lightweight
    aluminum and plastic mount and you fly!

    [The above stated in a very deep, manly voice of course!]

    SMH

  10. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> >I have no idea if these are worth anything
    >>
    >> It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".
    >
    > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.
    >
    >> Apply some leather treatment and ride it.
    >
    > I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.
    >
    > Dick Durbin

    On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non-leather saddles basically cause
    your body to mold to them. However, I've ridden most of my miles on a non-leather saddle. Now that I
    have a Brooks, though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain bike is still
    non-leather, though.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  11. Kevan Smith wrote in message ...

    >. Anything goes in November and December. You even see some pros on those juvenile delinquent
    > mountain bikes.

    Not class guys like Me and Michele Bartoli !

  12. Stephen Harding wrote in message <[email protected]>...

    >And of course, the heavier saddle can be useful for training purposes. Get back on your lightweight
    >aluminum and plastic mount and you fly!

    Stephen, at my level of cycling a winter junker is something like a C-40 or Fondreist P4 that has
    seen a season of racing, and as far as saddles go the Selle Italia Flite is now considered the retro
    classic - don't go lower than level, people notice!

    It's safe to write someone off if they own a Brooks. You don't want to be seen with that type.

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.
    > >
    > >> Apply some leather treatment and ride it.
    > >
    > > I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.
    > >
    > > Dick Durbin
    > >

    > On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non-leather saddles basically cause
    > your body to mold to them. However, I've ridden most of my miles on a non-leather saddle. Now that
    > I have a Brooks, though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain bike is still
    > non-leather, though.

    I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not molded to the shape of my
    plastic saddle.

    The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt and saddle is your sit bones.
    Get that right, and bliss ensues. Everything else is details.

  14. Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

    > It's safe to write someone off if they own a Brooks. You don't want to be seen with that type.

    Oh dear!

    I was hoping the power of aesthetics might save me in the eyes of "real [tm]" bicyclists but hearing
    this from you leaves me thinking I'm just destined to pedal my life through as member of the
    bicycling fashion and style damned.

    Rather sad I suppose.

    SMH

  15. Dan Barch

    Dan Barch Guest

    "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!

    I thought two decades ago guys like you were zygotes.

  16. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 15:10:43 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential
    Internet wrote:

    >Kevan Smith wrote in message ...
    >
    >>. Anything goes in November and December. You even see some pros on those juvenile delinquent
    >> mountain bikes.
    >
    >Not class guys like Me and Michele Bartoli !

    Of course not.

    The coffee shop i go to won't even let you in the door if you show up on anything but
    compact-geometry road frame. That's the way life should be!

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Actually, what I'd like is a little toy
    spaceship!!

  17. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:09:56 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

    >> > I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.
    >> >
    >> > Dick Durbin
    >> >

    >> On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non- leather saddles basically
    >> cause your body to mold to them. However, I've ridden most of my miles on a non-leather saddle.
    >> Now that I have a Brooks, though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain bike is
    >> still non-leather, though.
    >
    > I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not molded to the shape of my
    > plastic saddle.
    >
    > The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt and saddle is your sit
    > bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues. Everything else is details.

    I don't know -- I've done that and I find some saddles, particularly gel saddles, to be quite
    fatiguing. I gave up on a wide gel saddle because of that. My point was that I have non-leather
    saddles that still look exactly like they did when I bought them. My Brooks looks like my butt.
    It's indented where my sit bones are and it forms to me. On my non-leather saddles, my butt forms
    to the seat.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  18. Dick Durbin wrote:

    > [email protected] (Jkpoulos7) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> I have no idea if these are worth anything
    >>
    >> It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those plastic "numnutters".
    >
    > SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.
    >
    >> Apply some leather treatment and ride it.
    >
    > I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.

    Lucky you, but this is not an issue unless you're too lazy to spend 30 seconds of effort every six
    months or so.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
    -- James Thurber

  19. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Bob M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body.

    Which is fine if non-leather saddles aren't comfortable for you. I'm lucky, I guess, in that I have
    never had trouble finding a non-leather saddle that is comfortable. To be sure, I have had some that
    were not comfortable but I have never had to resort to the extra weight and maintenance required of
    a leather saddle.

    In my younger days I succumbed to the Old World notion that I needed to be riding a leather saddle.
    I bought an Ideale 90 which I never could get comfortable on. I sold it to a guy who uses it to
    drive roofing nails. :)

  20. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZgHXa.651615

    > Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.

    At least in some bike shops, you are right. I needed some Proofide for my Brooks saddle, and stopped
    in a bike shop I was unfamiliar with.

    me: "Do you have any Proofide?" them: "What's that for?"
    mf: "It's a treatment for leather saddles." them: "Nobody rides leather saddles anymore."
    mg: "I've got a leather saddle." them: "Well, uh, uh, uh, well, we don't have any. You could just
    use shoe polish."

    (I believe the "shoe polish" remark was said out of ignorance and momentary confusion, not malice.)