Vintage Carbon -- Quality of Specialized?

cyclophile

Jul 23, 2004
I admit I'm asking a bit late, but I recently bought a 1991 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon frame and now I'm wondering if it was a good idea. The frame's in great shape (spent most of 14 years hanging on a wall), and it's beautiful. Carbon tubes with aluminum buttings at the joints.

All the reviews I could find about older Allezs were great; people apparently rode them for 10 or 12 years and were happy with them.

I'm building it up with Ultegra and FSA, so all the components will be up to date; it's lighter and the geometry is tighter than my steel LeMond.

My question is how good Specialized's carbon (or anyone's, for that matter) was in 1991. It's heavier than modern carbon, but looks good otherwise.

Was this a mistake?

cyclophile said:
I admit I'm asking a bit late, but I recently bought a 1991 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon frame and now I'm wondering if it was a good idea. The frame's in great shape (spent most of 14 years hanging on a wall), and it's beautiful. Carbon tubes with aluminum buttings at the joints.

All the reviews I could find about older Allezs were great; people apparently rode them for 10 or 12 years and were happy with them.

I'm building it up with Ultegra and FSA, so all the components will be up to date; it's lighter and the geometry is tighter than my steel LeMond.

My question is how good Specialized's carbon (or anyone's, for that matter) was in 1991. It's heavier than modern carbon, but looks good otherwise.

Was this a mistake?
The only thing that matters is if it rides good and you are happy with it. Sounds pretty sweet to me...vintage carbon with updated parts...I ride vintage steel...sure alomost all the other bike on the club rides are faster but I'm happy with my ride and that is all that matters. Yea, I'm looking at other rides...want to get lighter but my old steel has its place.

cyclophile said:

Was this a mistake?
I have over 20K on my 1993 Epic and it's still a great ride. Of course, the only original component is the headset, LOL!

I recently asked my "bike guru" about the frame, and he said there's no real reason that a good frame won't remain a good frame for many years barring major crashes or neglect.

So, seeing as your Epic has been hanging on a wall for a decade, it's safe to say that it's probably in good shape.

My Epic has a full Ultegra group on it (105 was the original group), plus I've added a pair of Bontrager Select paired spoke wheels (got a great deal on them). The other thing I'm contemplating is a carbon fork to smooth out the ride a bit more. Again, if I find a sweet deal on a good fork with a 1" steerer tube, it'll be a done deal.

Good luck!

My_Aching_Fiets said:
I have over 20K on my 1993 Epic and it's still a great ride. Of course, the only original component is the headset, LOL!

I recently asked my "bike guru" about the frame, and he said there's no real reason that a good frame won't remain a good frame for many years barring major crashes or neglect.

So, seeing as your Epic has been hanging on a wall for a decade, it's safe to say that it's probably in good shape.

My Epic has a full Ultegra group on it (105 was the original group), plus I've added a pair of Bontrager Select paired spoke wheels (got a great deal on them). The other thing I'm contemplating is a carbon fork to smooth out the ride a bit more. Again, if I find a sweet deal on a good fork with a 1" steerer tube, it'll be a done deal.

Good luck!

Excellent feedback. Thanks. I do have an Easton carbon fork that smoothed out the ride on my steel bike nicely. Should be even smoother on the Specialized.

I had visions of the thing delaminating during a fast descent. No matter how updated the components, they won't do much good if the frame dissolves under them. Sounds like I shouldn't worry too much about that, though.

I've seen a few posts from people who are happy riding vintage stuff they've had forever, but not much from people starting out with older carbon.

I'll let you know how it works out.

I bought a ~91 epic with carbon frame and shimano 600 this year - very pleased with it. It may not be the lightest carbon frame around, but it is fine for me. Like anything else, it's not the age, so much as how much abuse has it taken that will dictate how long it lasts.

cyclophile said:
Excellent feedback. Thanks. I do have an Easton carbon fork that smoothed out the ride on my steel bike nicely. Should be even smoother on the Specialized.

I had visions of the thing delaminating during a fast descent. No matter how updated the components, they won't do much good if the frame dissolves under them. Sounds like I shouldn't worry too much about that, though.

I've seen a few posts from people who are happy riding vintage stuff they've had forever, but not much from people starting out with older carbon.

I'll let you know how it works out.
My only concern for older carbon frames in general is the bonding of each of the main carbon tubes.

A friend of mine bought a "like new" 1987 Trek 2300 (also a 3-tube carbon bike) and found out later that the bonding was bad and the seat tube could be rotated in the lugs.

It all came out well though, as Trek replaced it with a brand-new 1997 2300 frame without question. I think Specialized also had the same guarantee on the frames, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the durability of the Epic though - absolutely no problems at all. I'm even riding on a lot of cobblestones over here - the thing hasn't fallen apart yet! (Can't say the same for my butt, however...)

My_Aching_Fiets said:
My only concern for older carbon frames in general is the bonding of each of the main carbon tubes.

A friend of mine bought a "like new" 1987 Trek 2300 (also a 3-tube carbon bike) and found out later that the bonding was bad and the seat tube could be rotated in the lugs.

It all came out well though, as Trek replaced it with a brand-new 1997 2300 frame without question. I think Specialized also had the same guarantee on the frames, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the durability of the Epic though - absolutely no problems at all. I'm even riding on a lot of cobblestones over here - the thing hasn't fallen apart yet! (Can't say the same for my butt, however...)

My LBS shared some stories about Epics with bonding issues...after being riden for 12 years. Specialized replaced the frames with current equivalents in all cases. Go ride and have fun!

sbwirtz said:
My LBS shared some stories about Epics with bonding issues...after being riden for 12 years. Specialized replaced the frames with current equivalents in all cases. Go ride and have fun!
LOL.

I got the bike back from the LBS where I left it to have my components swapped over. (I can do most things, but didn't trust myself to do extensive work the headset and bottom bracket on a carbon fiber frame; I've done both before on steel frame, but my trusty hammer played enough of a part to appal the local wrenches when I described my technique.)

The new setup includes an Easton carbon fork, FSA Energy compact crank with FSA titanium bottom bracket and an FSA front derailleur, Ultegra rear derailleur, cassette and brake calipers and a Fizik saddle. the frame, crank and BB are new this time around, the rest came in bits and pieces. The only original parts from the LeMond are the Bontrager wheels and generic handlebars. It's a fairly radical upgrade. :rolleyes:

Rides smooth and tight, though. Steering is quick and when I stand up to accelerate there is <b>nooo flex at all</b>. Beautiful. I never really knew how much the old BB flexed until I noticed that this one didn't.

Best of all, it's already blooded, so I don't have to worry about that first big wipeout. While I was testing it in the street in front of the house, my dog came out to play tag. She's good about keeping her tail out of the spokes, but she's too agile. I tried to turn to follow her, slipped on a patch of wet grass clippings, and down I went. Lost just enough skin to qualify as a crash and sacrifice a few drops of blood. Not a scratch on the bike. Not even the handlebar tape.

Glad I got that out of the way. Tomorrow we go out for a hilly little loop to try and get used to each other. Sweet, sweet ride.

cyclophile said:

Was this a mistake?
Hello- I own an early 90's carbon with red lettering specialized allez epic (56) with shimano 105's Im 6'1" about 235, this bike is a little tight so I was in the market for a new road bike, I tried a 58/59 trek 1500 I believe it was running 1200 bucks and the new specialized sequoia running 770 basically the same components as my epic. I rode them both for about 25 miles and I have to tell you I paid 345 dollars a couple years ago for my bike. Today I still ride my Epic even though it is heavier (not noticeable) but never the less heavier and I took 10 pounds off my bike the first week of riding, I lost weight I went from 245 to 235 so weight of the Epic is a mental thing. I did not buy those newer carbon bikes with carbon forks and I could not be happier with this bike and the aluminum forks -yes vintage in the eyes of some but a ride unlike anything that I have tried within this bike category. To answer your question "Did I make a mistake purchasing the Epic" You got lucky and found one in good shape. Enjoy.