Vintage Fuji Special Tourer

tank99

Aug 22, 2010
Hello, first post here.

My father has an old Fuji road bike hanging up in the garage and i'm trying to find out some info on it. (value, worth fixing up, etc)

I started commuting to work and would like an alternative to tearing up my new Rockhopper riding to work.
IMG00044-20100822-1123.jpg

IMG00045-20100822-1124.jpg

IMG00046-20100822-1124.jpg

IMG00047-20100822-1124.jpg

IMG00048-20100822-1124.jpg

IMG00049-20100822-1124.jpg

I got the tires somewhat pumped up and it rides nice around the driveway. My dad is 6'6" so the frame is a little big for me, but I think I could ride it. The brakes need some work, but the front and rear derailleurs shift fine. I really don't think this would need a lot of work to get back to a nice commuter bike.

Anyone have some knowledge on these models? I'm not sure what model year it is.
Serial Number - F9G10357

Thanks, Chris

tank99 said:
My father has an old Fuji road bike hanging up in the garage and i'm trying to find out some info on it. (value, worth fixing up, etc)

I got the tires somewhat pumped up and it rides nice around the driveway. My dad is 6'6" so the frame is a little big for me, but I think I could ride it. The brakes need some work, but the front and rear derailleurs shift fine. I really don't think this would need a lot of work to get back to a nice commuter bike.

Anyone have some knowledge on these models? I'm not sure what model year it is.
Serial Number - F9G10357
That's a mid-70s Fuji (pre-1978) ... based on the cottered crankset, it is probably closer to 1973-74.

SunTour derailleurs were considered some of the best one could choose at the time ...

The tubing on the particular frame is regular carbon steel bicyle tubing (aka "gas pipe") ... the better Fuji frames were made with '331' (proprietary?) CroMo tubing (that may-or-could have been Ishiwata tubing) -- there were about 5 models which were made with the better '331' tubing ...
I have a FUJI S-12S LTD frame which was made with the fore mentioned '331' tubing ... it was the bottom of the upper tier ... it's a great riding frame.
The "Special Touring" frame is probably the second from the top of what I will refer to as the second tier of frames (hope that makes sense) ... or, it might have been the best of the second tier.

ONE (but, not definitive) rule of thumb for gauging where a vintage steel framed bike falls in a model line is whether or not the stays and/or fork are chromed (and/or, how much the fork is chromed). So, there may have been a Fuji model that was considered what I am referring to as second tier which had chromed chain/seat stays (e.g., the FUJI S-10S).

The value is a tough call ... If I were a taller rider, I wouldn't hesitate paying $100+ just for the frame/fork ...

The condition looks to be excellent ... so, the "right buyer" might be willing to pony up a lot of money if he has a "Rosebud moment."

Regardless, it's definitely worth updating ...

IMO, it should be a great riding bike, as is (well, allowing that its moving parts are greased-and-lubed if/when needed), AND it will be even better if you choose to update some of the components.

I have a Special Tourer that I have reconditioned and added some new parts to it but still use the same derailleur, aluminum wheels ect... I ride it every day, I put 50 miles a day on it and I love it. Its a tall frame like yours and the ser.#F9G09683. The F means it was made in a original Fuji plant and not subcontracted out The (9) is the month it was made in Sept. forgot what the G means (google it its there under old fuji bikes) the O is the year it was made in mine was 80 and so on You'll see when you check it out. I love my Fuji it fits me perfect and I wouldnt want a newer bike for anything. Keep it and enjoy it! Or if you ever want to sell it I would buy it in a instant.Have fun!

I spruced one of those up last summer and sold it to a friend to use in Oregon as a commuter. He loves it! Was the same color even!