Vintage help?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pacman, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Pacman

    Pacman Guest

    Hi all, and mind if I de-lurk for a while?

    Okay, so I've having succumbed to the charms of a Percy Ellis tandem, in good working order, but
    rather in need of a respray. Double diamond frame, steers better than my Dawes tandem with 48 spoke
    700C wheels.

    I now need:

    some new cables for the Resilion cantilevers (only decent ones I can find have Shimano printed on
    them, rather out of place on a 50 year old machine);

    some new brake shoes for same;

    some help in adjusting a 4 speed Cyclo derailleur.

    Any suggestions as to the cables, or an on-line source of instruction regarding the Cyclo
    derailleur, please? After several years now of indexed gears, being unable to make the lowest ratio
    chatter-free is particularly of interest to me.

    Or ought I forget about finding new spares, and make a date to visit Beaulieu auto jumble?

    I've found that St John St cycles supply Schwalbe tyres in 26 x 1 + 1/4, which have survived the
    first few 10 -15 mile test rides okay. The tread pattern reminds me of the John Bull tyres, but they
    seem to roll easily enough.
    --
    PacMan "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese" - G K Chesterton

    Tags:

  2. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    PacMan wrote:
    > Hi all, and mind if I de-lurk for a while?
    >
    > Okay, so I've having succumbed to the charms of a Percy Ellis tandem, in good working order, but
    > rather in need of a respray. Double diamond frame, steers better than my Dawes tandem with 48
    > spoke 700C wheels.
    >
    > I now need:
    >
    > some new cables for the Resilion cantilevers (only decent ones I can find have Shimano printed on
    > them, rather out of place on a 50 year old machine);

    Making them is probably your best bit. If you dismantle the old ones you'll see that the 2-into-1
    joint is quite simple - just a bit of brass wrapped round the three cable ends and soldered.
    Nipples, ferrules and the sleeve over the join should be recoverable from the old cables. It is
    possible to fit Resilions with a more conventional straddle wire - but it doesn't look the part!

    > some new brake shoes for same;

    Keep the old shoes and put new blocks in them. I have used two brake blocks in a single shoe to do
    this - using standard blocks bought in a French supermarket and cutting them down to fit the
    Resilion shoes. As wel as providing enough length, doing them in sections avoids having to carve a
    curved block.

    > some help in adjusting a 4 speed Cyclo derailleur.

    Which type? eg: two-wire gear, or the single-wire/volute spring type.

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  3. Pacman

    Pacman Guest

    Pattledom <[email protected]> chose to enlighten us with:

    >PacMan wrote:
    [..]
    >> some new cables for the Resilion cantilevers (only decent ones I can find have Shimano printed on
    >> them, rather out of place on a 50 year old machine);
    >
    >Making them is probably your best bit. If you dismantle the old ones you'll see that the 2-into-1
    >joint is quite simple - just a bit of brass wrapped round the three cable ends and soldered.
    >Nipples, ferrules and the sleeve over the join should be recoverable from the old cables. It is
    >possible to fit Resilions with a more conventional straddle wire - but it doesn't look the part!

    Thanks for that: I'll try and make them. They could probably carry on for a bit longer, but even
    after using a motorcycle hydraulic cable oiler, my right hand isn't up to a 2 cable set-up. OTOH,
    the cable/rod operated drum brake is surprisingly useful. Just as well, really ...

    >> some new brake shoes for same;
    >
    >Keep the old shoes and put new blocks in them. I have used two brake blocks in a single shoe to do
    >this - using standard blocks bought in a French supermarket and cutting them down to fit the
    >Resilion shoes. As wel as providing enough length, doing them in sections avoids having to carve a
    >curved block.

    Top tip. TYVM.

    >> some help in adjusting a 4 speed Cyclo derailleur.
    >
    >Which type? eg: two-wire gear, or the single-wire/volute spring type.

    Erm. It's now dark, and it lives behind A Dawes Kara Kum, which SWMBO will want to be easy to be
    first out of the door in the morning. Can I get back to you on that one?
    --
    PacMan "Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups" - Robert A Heinlein