Vintage schwinn or modern Bianchi?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Casuarius, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Casuarius

Casuarius New Member

Tags:

2. Casuarius

Casuarius New Member

3. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. First of all, you had better be over 6'0" tall for any of those bikes ...

• Cannondale (Sunny Isles Beach) ... probably not ... of course, in FLA you don't really need shifters, so maybe ...
    • Cannondale w/ Dura Ace components (Plantation) ... ¿yes? this is the one which I would try to get (presuming you are 6'0", or taller) ... but, I would plan to change the handlebars to either 'regular' Drop handlebars OR Flat bars (depending on YOUR preference).
    • Bianchi (Boca Raton) ... okay ... modest components ... the steel frame can be a PLUS-or-MINUS depending on your POV (I'm a fan of steel frames, but ...)
    • Scwhinn Varsity ... definitely, no ... nice bike for 1965 ... barely acceptable in 1979 ... it probably weighs 32-to-38 lbs. (not that weight should be a determining factor, one-way-or-the-other)

BTW. Dura Ace is Shimano's best grade of components. The Cannondale in Sunny Isles Beach MAY also have Dura Ace components, but probably not -- ask the seller.

Sora is close to the bottom of Shimano's lineup ... but, still 'okay'.

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Aw, heck, alfeng. In the normal range of 16-25 lbs. for a normal road bike, weight shouldn't be a limiting factor, But when you're pushing well over 30 . . .

I just worked on an old Varsity today, and it felt as though the fork, handlebar, and front wheel alone weighed more than my 17-lb. Giant. And when you're trying to steer with that kind of mass in front of the headset, it can't help but diminish the ride.

5. Casuarius

Casuarius New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to see the bianchi tomorrow and check the fit and see if I can talk the price down some if not i'll go for the cannondale. Also your presumptions were right i'm about 6'3-6'4 so I've been looking for some bigger framed bikes which limits the choices dramatically.