vintage schwinn tires

GuvRdr

May 15, 2013
I recently purchased a 1971 Schwinn Collegiate for my girlfriend to ride in a charity ride we are participating this summer. I knew I would likely have to replace the tires. However what I didn't know is that the tires are marked as tubular. My question is this: Can anyone tell me if these are tubular as we would consider them today... that is "sewn-up" and cemented tire/tube/rim? Or, did schwinn once again create confusion by coining their own terms? Kenda's 597 tires appear to be clinchers, and I am not ripping the old tires off until I know I can replace them.

I would deflate the tire. If it's a clincher tire, you should be able to push it off the side of the wheel at that point. A tubular won't move because it's glued.

If the valve stem is a Schrader, then it is a regular clincher ...

If the sidewall is BLACK, then it is a clincher ... If the sidewall has an ETRTO designation, then it is probably a clincher ...
  • FYI. 597 is (AFAIK) an obsolete (¿?) 26" tire size (vs. 26" MTB tires ... ETRTO 559)... so, there is a 99.99% probability that it is a clincher
  • of course, "obsolete" does not mean that you won't be able to buy tires in that size ... it just may be difficult to source them
  • and so, it may be worthwhile to lace a DIFFERENT, more commonly sized set of rims to the hubs
  • OR, possibly to consider buying a different set of wheels to use with the bike
If the sidewall is NOT cloth, then it is probably a clincher ...

If there is not a visible CLOTH rim tape which is visible between the edge of the rim & the tire's sidewall, then it is a clincher.
If in doubt, post a picture which shows the valve stem + rim & tire.

Schwinn Collegiates most certainly did not use tubular tires, but Schwinn did use clincher tires in proprietary sizes that are no longer used on new bikes, but still manufactured. Your local bike shop should be able to order ISO 597 (597 mm bead seat diameter) tires from J&B Importers if you can't find them anywhere else.

Thanks for the quick replies. I feel pretty dumb that I didn't think to squeeze the deflated tires /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif. I didn't think tubular tires were that old, but was thrown off by the high pressure recommendation and "tubular" embossed on the sidewall. Thanks again.

GuvRdr said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I feel pretty dumb that I didn't think to squeeze the deflated tires :) . I didn't think tubular tires were that old, but was thrown off by the high pressure recommendation and "tubular" embossed on the sidewall. Thanks again.
FYI, tubular tires have been around longer than clinchers for bicycles.

alienator said:
FYI, tubular tires have been around longer than clinchers for bicycles.
yes, quality clinchers that could match tubulars came in the late 80's through the 90's, it was the new thing, clinchers able to use as racing wheels,