vintage shimano 7-speed freehub question.

Jjpsych

Guest
Hi, Here is the deal. And i am sure that this has been asked several times before,but please
bear with me. In fact, if you want to reply to me directly ant not post to the group, that is
fine with me.

I am putting a fitness bike together with some older, but low mileage dura ace parts I have. The
wheelset has a dura-ace 7-speed freehub, and do have a 12-21 (12-13-14-15-17-19-21) cassette for it.
I have noticed that the older uni-glide dura-ace cassettes are harder to get than the 600 level
uniglide stuff.

My question is can I replace the dura ace freehub body with a different 7speed uniglide freehub body
(like an ultegra, sante)? Yes, I want to do away with needing the dura-ace 1st and 2nd position
cogs. I dont really need a 12 (or an 11 for that matter) for the type of riding that I am doing. A
13-21 (13-14-15-16-17-19-21) is really all I need to have for now. That way, I get the 16t cog and
avoid the jump from 15 to 17 in my cluster. (Yeah, I kow this is the genus for the 8-speed set-up :)

I really appreciate the help, Jay

jjpsych wrote:
> Hi, Here is the deal. And i am sure that this has been asked several times before,but please bear
> with me. In fact, if you want to reply to me directly ant not post to the group, that is fine
> with me.
>
> I am putting a fitness bike together with some older, but low mileage dura ace parts I have. The
> wheelset has a dura-ace 7-speed freehub, and do have a 12-21 (12-13-14-15-17-19-21) cassette for
> it. I have noticed that the older uni-glide dura-ace cassettes are harder to get than the 600
> level uniglide stuff.
>
> My question is can I replace the dura ace freehub body with a different 7speed uniglide freehub
> body (like an ultegra, sante)?

That's not possible. The pre 1997 (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace hubs had a totally different way of
attaching the Freehub body to the hub shell, so _only_ 1996 or earlier bodies will fit. You can
convert this to a modern Hyperglide 8-/9-speed by replacing the body, but they're quite
espensive, and a special tool is required. If you wish to do this, we can sell you the body and
lend you the tool.

> I want to do away with needing the dura-ace 1st and 2nd position cogs.

It's only the smallest (threaded) sprocket that is special. The splined sprockets are
interchangeable with other Uniglide sprockets. Also, current Hyperglide sprockets can be easily
modified to fit, by grinding/filing off the one wide spline.

> I dont really need a 12 (or an 11 for that matter) for the type of riding that I am doing. A 13-21
> (13-14-15-16-17-19-21) is really all I need to have for now. That way, I get the 16t cog and avoid
> the jump from 15 to 17 in my cluster. (Yeah, I kow this is the genus for the 8-speed set-up :)

I have a Web page devoted to interchangeability issues with older Dura-Ace stuff, see:
http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

| Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. | -- Yoda |
+------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

jjpsych-<< My question is can I replace the dura ace freehub body with a different 7speed uniglide
freehub body (like an ultegra, sante)? >><BR><BR>

No cannot. Can replace the 7s freehub with a 8/9s hyperglide DA freehub tho.