vintage TA cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Elnico, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. Elnico

    Elnico Guest

    I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from the 60's. I was looking for a
    crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a 23mm puller. But I have use a huge amount of force
    to thread the tool into the cranks.

    My question is: Is it really 23mm? I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that be it?

    Nico.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "ElNico" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from the 60's. I was looking for
    > a crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a 23mm puller. But I have use a huge amount of
    > force to thread the tool into the cranks.
    >
    > My question is: Is it really 23mm? I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that be it?

    The two similar French pullers, Stronglight and TA, do not interchange. TA is 23.0, Stronglight
    23.35 (!) Stronglight pullers are plain and TA pullers have the TA logo prominently on the top
    of the bolt.

    There was a Park product claimed to be inbetween sized for both. Avoid that tool.

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "ElNico" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from the 60's. I was looking for
    > a crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a 23mm puller. But I have use a huge amount of
    > force to thread the tool into the cranks.
    >
    > My question is: Is it really 23mm? I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that be it?
    >
    > Nico.

    It's 22.8mm for TA. Only brand that size = special puller. I hope you haven't ruined the threads
    with the 23mm puller. Jim McKim

  4. Elnico

    Elnico Guest

    | > I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from
    the 60's.
    | > I was looking for a crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a
    23mm puller.
    | > But I have use a huge amount of force to thread the tool into the
    cranks.| > My question is: Is it really 23mm?
    | > I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that be it?
    | >
    | > Nico.
    |
    | It's 22.8mm for TA. Only brand that size = special puller. I hope you haven't ruined the threads
    | with the 23mm puller. Jim McKim

    The mechanics said the dust caps must have damaged the threads. As I'de never heard that one before,
    I stopped the bike mechanics from doing it, and I wanted to check the thread size before trying
    myself. Any idea where I can get such a puller? The funny thing is I asked Specialites TA themselves
    even sending a picture of the actual crank, and they replied I should use a 23mm puller....

    Nico.

  5. Waal

    Waal Guest

    "Jim" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > "ElNico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<b49klj$t1s$[email protected]>...
    > > I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from
    the
    > > 60's. I was looking for a crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a
    23mm
    > > puller. But I have use a huge amount of force to thread the tool into the
    cranks.

    > > My question is: Is it really 23mm? I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that
    be
    > > it?
    > >
    > > Nico.
    >
    > It's 22.8mm for TA. Only brand that size = special puller. I hope you haven't ruined the threads
    > with the 23mm puller. Jim McKim

    Nominal size 23mm (TA) 23,35mm (Stronglight) 22mm (Shimano)

    TA tool 22,65mm dustcap 22,9mm Stronglight tool 23,25mm Shimano tool 21,65mm autoext/dustcap 21,65
    SR dustcap 21,5mm

    Standard M5 bolt ca.4,6-4,7mm

    Michael

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "ElNico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from
    the
    > > 60's. I was looking for a crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a
    23mm
    > > puller. But I have use a huge amount of force to thread the tool into the
    cranks.

    > > My question is: Is it really 23mm? I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that
    be
    > > it?

    "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It's 22.8mm for TA. Only brand that size = special puller. I hope you haven't ruined the threads
    > with the 23mm puller.

    The TA book is conspicuously silent on the size but VAR lists TA as 23.0 (in fact all three here
    measure about 22.95) and Stronglight classic as 23.35mm

    Where did you see 22.8 listed??

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > | > I have bought a track bike from the 70's equipped with TA cranks from
    > the 60's.
    > | > I was looking for a crank puller of the right size, and got hold of a
    > 23mm puller.
    > | > But I have use a huge amount of force to thread the tool into the
    > cranks.| > My question is: Is it really 23mm?
    > | > I read somewhere 22.8mm, could that be it?
    > | >
    > | > Nico.
    > |
    > | It's 22.8mm for TA. Only brand that size = special puller. I hope you haven't ruined the threads
    > | with the 23mm puller. Jim McKim

    "ElNico" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The mechanics said the dust caps must have damaged the threads. As I'de never heard that one
    > before, I stopped the bike mechanics from doing it,
    and
    > I wanted to check the thread size before trying myself. Any idea where I can get such a puller?
    > The funny thing is I asked Specialites TA themselves even sending a
    picture
    > of the actual crank, and they replied I should use a 23mm puller....

    Gee, that's the same size as a TA crank. Maybe that's why my TA pullers are all 23mm, ya think?

    I.m not sure where that "dust cap" conversation was going but you might want to not give your nice
    TA crank arms to that guy for service.