Virenque retires from cycling

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by steve, Sep 24, 2004.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

7 polka-dot jerseys :eek: not bad for a guy that was never the best climber in the race.

cheers

Tags:

2. Virenque

Virenque New Member

I think you dont know that he was 3rd overall in 1996 and 2nd overall in 1997 despite of bad performance in TT!

3. wadoflove

wadoflove New Member

4. Flyer

Flyer Banned

It is about time he quit. How much drug abuse can a body take??

I am truly surprised he is still alive.

I hope he finds professional help for what will be an on-going bi-polar disorder combined with all manner of auto-immune system failures.

After having to listen to this Frenchman drone on like OJ Simpson about how he is a victim--and he did not dope and then later, that he did--but was forced to by others, to No, he did not dope. (Wrote a bizarre book)

And finally, his wearing a "yellow live strong braclet" and becoming Lance's little buddy.

He is a perfect symbol of how drug addicted athletes behave. He and Alex Zulle (Tyler's teammate now) will forever be remembered for their leadership of the 1998 Festina Squad with all its lies, denials, deceptions and finally, after two more years, under oath in a Lille, France Courtroom---the utter truth that they were, in fact, complete drug addicts---and they still are to this very day. Fortunately for them, the appeals court realized that the trauma doping was an "industry wide problem, not a Festina specific matter" so the suspensions were reduced to time served and the boys got back to their IV feeds and racing activites.

I hope he can taper off his meds---but I know he will need to continue some medication for the rest of his life.

Hopefully, he won't become a Terry Claveret, Marco Pantani or Jose Maria Jimenez obituary. They all shared much in common during their very short lives.

I wish Richard well in his new life. May it be a long one.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

hehe well put ;)

6. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Good enough to be perennial top ten, but smart enough to know he had a better chance at KOM than to win the TdF. He is far more famous because of it.

7. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Of course! When he came back after doping affair, he wasnt as strong as before and I agree that KOM jersey is better than, for example, 10th place overall!

8. ed073

ed073 New Member

Where is your proof Virenque is, or ever, was a drug "addict"?
    Dredging up the Festina Affair means you'll have to pay out on Zulle (who did last week must have missed your thread on his drug-tainted success) , Brochard, etc etc when they all retire as well.

Celebrate a brilliant career from a talented rider. If it wasn't for him and Jalabert, French cycling would have been a vacuum in the 90s

9. Spider1977

Spider1977 New Member

10. Flyer

Flyer Banned

Proof is in the sworn testimony of the October 2000 Doping trial in Lille, France. I concluded that anyone who could ingest and metabolize that many drugs over many years had to be become addicted.

Willy Voet and the team physician all itemized the specific frequencies and dosages of the powerful trauma drugs and anaboloics, including IGF-1. The Belgian doctor who supplied the dope had died prior to testifying so I am missing that dealer evidence.

Nine riders including Virenque, Alex Zulle, Laurent Brochard, Benesto's Thomas Davy all admitted to using trauma drugs for their entire pro careers.

Am I supposed to believe, that they suddenly quit using drugs post trial???

That is contrary to how addicts behave.

Otherwise, you are quite correct, French cycling at the TDF would not have been much to talk about.

Zulle must be done soon, don't you think?

11. ed073

ed073 New Member

I think you're confusing "addict" with "user". I'm not denying any of those indicted at the Festina trial were guilty, just that it's unlikely they were addicted to the drugs in question in a medical sense.

Zuelle has retired. His last race was the GP Kanton Aargau/Gippingen on 29/8.

12. Flyer

Flyer Banned

Gee, I just saw the lean looking Alex Zulle (Phonak) racing the T-Mobile SFGP on September 12. He dropped out after a few hours. Maybe he retired yet again this very month??

And no, I mean "addicted in a theraputic/medical way" whereas if these "users" stop taking synthetic hormones cold turkey, so-to-speak, they might die or at least go bi-polar or suffer a stroke. So I say that they are addicted.

After 8-12 years (or longer) of using these various supplemental hormones at extreme dosages and frequencies, their natural adrenal function, pituitary gland, and testosterone functions have suffered atrophy.

Abuse of anabolic steroids, EPO and vasodilators means that high blood pressure medications will probably be needed for life.

So, whilst the doping brand might change to antidepressants and blood pressure regulating, the doping must continue for all these guys.

Other popular athletes who have suffered from this fate are: Jose Maria Jimenez (bi-ploar) , Marco Pantani, (anemia & stimulants) Joe Montana (high blood pressure), Terry Bradshaw (bi-polar), Mike Ditka & Tony Dorsett (high blood pressure, Jack Tatum (diabetes & limb amputation), Frank Vandenbrocker (bi-polar disorder and he is not retired yet!!)

Terry Claverlet committed suicide early in his retirement. Sounds bi-polar to me.

So I wish to emphasis the words "lifetime addiction" as it will be a very long road to back to natural health without medications.

13. ed073

ed073 New Member

Apologies....The GP Gippigen was Zuelle's farewell race, not his actual last race.

You make some good points on riders lives post-competition and what they face medically. I've met guys in this condition and it has served as the biggest deterrent possible to me, however the problem is bigger than the individual riders. Like Laurent Fignon says, "You can't blame the riders, they are just chasing their dream. It's the suppliers that need to be adressed."

14. Saucy

Saucy New Member

His new job is as a public relations officer at a pharmaceutical company. How appropriate.

15. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

wow, the guy is retiring...you should focus on his achievements, not kick him on the way out...

i for one will miss him greatly.

16. Flyer

Flyer Banned

17. Salsa Rider

Salsa Rider New Member

I'm with you! MountainPro!! The guy was a great character in cycling and provide us all with something to aspire to. Everybody was soooo positve that Pantanni was all doped up. Yeah he died of a coke overdose, but a bone test showed that there was no long term abuse of anything. So maybe he actually did ride that way (almost) naturally.

18. antoineg

antoineg New Member

You think cheating shows "great character"?

What kind of retard are you?

[edit]it just occured to me that you might have meant "he was a character", as in, amusing, fun to watch. Even so, you indicate he was something to aspire to, in which case my question stands[/edit]

19. Flyer

Flyer Banned

Excellent points ed073. I expect the riders to dope and to be ever to committed to it over time. Either that, or leave the sport early on as many fine athletes do.

Insofar as the dealers, chemists, vets, horse trainers, researchers, trauma doctors and the team management and sponship pressures---that is a major problem for which I know of no solution.

We idolize the riders, so it stands that we appear angry or frustrated when they fail a drug test, or just get caught by a housekeeper, airport security, customs officer or a surprise Police raid.

I read a quote from Time magazine whereby a research physician focused on muscular dystrophy said: "I am trying cure desease and the last thing I will let stand in my way is an athlete cheating by using my drugs. If an athlete wishes to test out these drugs, that may speed up research, thus, benefiting the sick people"

How, can I agrue with this position??

Has sports performance doping has become a metaphor for living strong?

I can't tell anymore.

20. Salsa Rider

Salsa Rider New Member

i'm a forgiving retard. What kind of retard are you??