Virtual Coach vs. non-personal plan

samf526

Sep 25, 2007
Hi everyone,
I have two options to do my training around and I could use some advice as to which would be more useful.

1) Virtual coach - I already have a subscription, and i can set up the system to my own specifications and let it do all the work for me

2) A training plan made by a coach for a friend of mine who is in a pretty similar situation to me. I figure I can use the perscribed workouts but change the wattage so it is more applicable to me.

some have said either will work well, just pick one. I tend to think the training plan would be the better option, as it has been tried and shown to be successful in past seasons. the virtual coach just seems too much like a standardized program to me.

thanks

Your own real coach is going to be a whole lot better than either option.

samf526 said:
Hi everyone,
I have two options to do my training around and I could use some advice as to which would be more useful.

1) Virtual coach - I already have a subscription, and i can set up the system to my own specifications and let it do all the work for me

2) A training plan made by a coach for a friend of mine who is in a pretty similar situation to me. I figure I can use the perscribed workouts but change the wattage so it is more applicable to me.

some have said either will work well, just pick one. I tend to think the training plan would be the better option, as it has been tried and shown to be successful in past seasons. the virtual coach just seems too much like a standardized program to me.

thanks
I can't comment on virtual coach but using someone else's plan doesn't sound like a sensible option to me. How is it specific to your individual rider profile, characteristics, training availability and goals? Even 2 riders training for the same event together may well need to use a different plan due to their individual rider characteristics.

Alex Simmons said:
I can't comment on virtual coach but using someone else's plan doesn't sound like a sensible option to me. How is it specific to your individual rider profile, characteristics, training availability and goals? Even 2 riders training for the same event together may well need to use a different plan due to their individual rider characteristics.

true, but it is an all-around training plan, and I am at a level (intermediate, i would say) where all of my abilities need to be worked on. I don't have one particular strength that i need to work on more than others.

samf526 said:
I don't have one particular strength that i need to work on more than others.
So they're all strengths then. ;)
How do you know that? Do you perform some kind of testing or able to ascertain from racing where your difficulties are?

Personally, I find the Virtual Coach extremely light on intensity and heavy on L1 riding. I played around with it a little bit just out of curiousity to see where it would put me for the next year, but it certainly would not meed my needs - nor fix weaknesses or enhance strengths.

Using someone else's plan - provided wattage and intensities are adjusted to your personal abilities is no different than purchasing a "box plan" from Trainingpeaks or a coach at the beginning of the season and not getting regular changes. It's not the best option, but if you've done training on your own, it might fit what you're looking for. You could also consider purchasing one of the box plans from Trainingpeaks. It wasn't for me, but there is a good variety of training programs available and the ones that I purchased had a great variety of workouts to prevent stagnation.

Obviously "any plan" isn't as good as a personalized plan from a coach.

That being said, at the end of the day, almost any plan you stick to is better than no plan at all.

NomadVW said:
Personally, I find the Virtual Coach extremely light on intensity and heavy on L1 riding. I played around with it a little bit just out of curiousity to see where it would put me for the next year, but it certainly would not meed my needs - nor fix weaknesses or enhance strengths.

What is L1 riding? I am looking at getting a virtual coach subscription, and just wondering what it consists of? I thought it was just a way to keep an online training log? Do you create your own workouts, or does it create workouts for you? Do they offer suggestions about training volume or intensity? Any and all info. would be greatly appreciated before I go and spend the money.

L1 riding is the intensity just above active recovery.

Trainingpeaks Virtual Coach will assist you in planning workouts with suggesting workouts based on the Friel periodization method. It basically works like an online Cyclist Training Bible so you don't have to go back and forth between
the appendix and your annual training plan. The VC has its benefits, especially if you're really new to cycling or training planning. It would definitely help someone out I think.

THanks, I used the training bible last season, but it was kind of a pain in the rear, not having everything in one place, and having to flip back and forth in the book, and from the book and the binder i was using. TP just puts all that online for you? and then gives workout suggestions?

Hello,

I think I can say that we are in similar situations and to save you alot of money that I spent, I can give you my experience and you can decide for yourself.

I believe that when starting out the most important thing is to get a decent bike and a professional fitting. This may sound like a "ofcourse I know that" but many shops really do not know how to do it correctly and a coach would be really good for that.

Once you have that I would just go with the book Training with the Power Meter, understand it, take the ftp test and than based upon that download a training program to improve ftp. Do the 8 week program or another one depending on your situation and time, see how it works for you. During that time you will get bettter at Bike handling skills as when you put in that many hours it will just happen on some level. Also if you are lucky there will be some group rides or pack rides near you or it seems now you have a buddy to ride with based upon your post.

Next enter a race with your buddy so you can work together...see how you do. Do another race and another...if you seem frustrated and stuck in a problem area than go and find a coach. He can take your workout, abilities, problem areas and adjust to have you perform better. You may than become part of a club??

After a long time and money I see this would have been the best method for me. I really think going for the coach makes you spend more and if you are in such an early stage, the coach will not really do much more than the downloaded plan will so save the money. Next it will also test your dedication, I was also going to the gym most of this year and finally only about two months ago I finally gave up the gym and every workout is on the bike. I finally have taken the complete plunge as it is the only way I will get the proper results,,,,there is a personal life for most of us so you need to see if you can only be a weekend warrior or more or less....

Running a business for me with a staff of 50 mouths to feed is tough and keep the business aflot...the $20 you win at the local race is cool but kind of hard to put the daughter through college:D

I hope the aboive helps and do not get too frustrated in the beginning...

Two other things I forgot...one is get the CP WKO software, a must so you really know how you are doing and can compare results to the book and your coach if any good would already have this software and can examine the results.

Next your background. You see I was a non-exercising person most of my adult life and never played any type of organized sports. Now if you are the guy in the other post with 4% bodyfat and ex-football player...lets just say he has a headstart!! and is more mentally and physically ready.

Lets see the most experience I had was a bike messenger for 2-3 years in college ... 20 years ago. So do not get down when you see these gym rats do what they do...they just keep going from sport to sport to sport until their body stops letting them...

-Js

samf526 said:
Hi everyone,

thanks