Virtual ride movie

Pete Rissler

Guest
Hi all,

I've put up a draft virtual movie of one of the rides in the Reno, NV area. It's the last link on
the page. I had a few problems with my computer, it crashed a short way into the ride. I figure it
would take around 30 hours to render the full ride. Also its way too fast, I had to cut down on the
frame rate to 7.5 fps, so the movie is a little choppy. Enough excuses, the movie is 37 secs. long.
This is no substitute for the real thing or for the excellent videos that have been posted here,
it's just something different. There are some other stuff on the page that I've been working on.

http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/peavine_challenge_map_page.htm

--
Pete Rissler http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

"Pete Rissler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I've put up a draft virtual movie of one of the rides in the Reno, NV
area.
> It's the last link on the page. I had a few problems with my computer, it crashed a short way into
> the ride. I figure it would take around 30 hours
> render the full ride. Also its way too fast, I had to cut down on the
frame
> rate to 7.5 fps, so the movie is a little choppy. Enough excuses, the
movie
> is 37 secs. long. This is no substitute for the real thing or for the excellent videos that have
> been posted here, it's just something
different.
> There are some other stuff on the page that I've been working on.
>
> http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/peavine_challenge_map_page.htm
>
> --
> Pete Rissler http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

Cool. I liked it.

darsh

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:30:10 -0800, Pete Rissler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've put up a draft virtual movie of one of the rides in the Reno, NV area. It's the last link on
> the page. I had a few problems with my computer, it crashed a short way into the ride. I figure
> it would take around 30 hours to render the full ride. Also its way too fast, I had to cut down
> on the frame rate to 7.5 fps, so the movie is a little choppy. Enough excuses, the movie is 37
> secs. long. This is no substitute for the real thing or for the excellent videos that have been
> posted here, it's just something different. There are some other stuff on the page that I've been
> working on.
>
> http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/peavine_challenge_map_page.htm
>
> --
> Pete Rissler http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

Pretty cool. The only thing I thought was wierd was that it seemed like you were always looking
straight ahead, whereas when riding, if you go down a dip, you look up a bit to compensate. So going
through dips it seemed like I wasn't looking far enough down the trail. my $.02

What did you you for the terrain data?

>Pretty cool. The only thing I thought was wierd was that it seemed like you were always looking
>straight ahead, whereas when riding, if you go down a dip, you look up a bit to compensate. So
>going through dips it seemed like I wasn't looking far enough down the trail. my $.02
>
>What did you you for the terrain data?

Sorry for the late post. I was doing a Google groups search on another subject when I noticed that
there were a few massages that I did not see on my ISP's news server. I then searched for my
"virtual ride movie" and found a couple of posts that never made it to my news server. This probably
explains why I sometime see replies to messages I never see posted.

You're right, the software only lets me set one angle looking forward which I set to -10 degrees ,
so it's slightly looking down. To sorta compensate I set the height above ground to 3.5 meters. I do
have the option to allow the image to roll when turning which I had turned off for the movie. I'll
need to play with this a little more. I'll add a few trees, a couple of buildings and some
fencelines in the next version. I'm learning this GIS (ArcView) software package and I find I learn
better if I'm doing something I'm interested in instead of just following along in the manual.

The terrain data was from a USGS 10 meter Digital Elevation Model.
--

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:08:35 -0800, Pete Rissler wrote:

>>Pretty cool. The only thing I thought was wierd was that it seemed like you were always looking
>>straight ahead, whereas when riding, if you go down a dip, you look up a bit to compensate. So
>>going through dips it seemed like I wasn't looking far enough down the trail. my $.02
>>
>>What did you you for the terrain data?
>
> Sorry for the late post. I was doing a Google groups search on another subject when I noticed that
> there were a few massages that I did not see on my ISP's news server. I then searched for my
> "virtual ride movie" and found a couple of posts that never made it to my news server. This
> probably explains why I sometime see replies to messages I never see posted.
>
> You're right, the software only lets me set one angle looking forward which I set to -10 degrees
> , so it's slightly looking down. To sorta compensate I set the height above ground to 3.5
> meters. I do have the option to allow the image to roll when turning which I had turned off for
> the movie. I'll need to play with this a little more. I'll add a few trees, a couple of
> buildings and some fencelines in the next version. I'm learning this GIS (ArcView) software
> package and I find I learn better if I'm doing something I'm interested in instead of just
> following along in the manual.
>
> The terrain data was from a USGS 10 meter Digital Elevation Model. -- Pete Rissler
> http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

You actually get paid for this stuff? They hiring :)

-Bruce

> You actually get paid for this stuff? They hiring :)
>
> -Bruce

I'm a fishery biologist by trade and do use GIS for work, mostly fish distributions and hydrologic
modelling. It would be nice to get paid for making MTB maps but I enjoy playing around with this
stuff in my spare time.

Pete